NEWS Parker fears Cobbo could be poached by "lesser clubs" after Magic Round brilliance

BHQArticleImageLarge50

Brisbane Broncos great Corey Parker fears the Broncos may lose Selwyn Cobbo to a rival club following his standout performance at fullback during Magic Round.

Deputising for the injured Reece Walsh, Cobbo was dominant against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, running for 228 running metres and 11 tackle breaks on his way to a maximum six Dally M votes.

Cobbo can negotiate with rival clubs from November 1st, along with centre partner Kotoni Staggs, and Parker fears that having both off contract at the same time will cost the club one or both as they will be unable to match offers from other clubs.

“A lesser club unlike a Broncos might dangle seven figures at him and say we want you to be our number one,” Parker told SENQ Mornings.

“(Playing fullback has) highlighted him again in the shop… I don’t see how they could keep those players for the money that someone like a Cobbo would be offered on the open market because he can play fullback.

“I know he wants to play centre and he’s very happy at the Broncos, but money does strange things.”

Parker drew comparisons between Cobbo and Sydney Roosters superstar Joey Manu, as the Broncos need to figure out how to get Cobbo more involved when he returns to the centres.

“He’s Brisbane’s version of Joey Manu,” Parker said.

“You give him an opportunity and his numbers are great, he’s high involvement, etc. He goes back to the centres, and it’s how do we get Cobbo… the ball again?

“I just love the way that Selwyn approaches the game. He’s got this swagger about him. He’s got a carefree approach and demeanour but he’s hard to handle.”

In the centres this season, Cobbo has been averaging 139 run metres and 5.6 tackle breaks, far under his numbers at fullback.

While there are no evident openings at fullback across the NRL, with every club seemingly having a settled player in the number one, a player of Cobbo’s calibre would be in high demand amongst teams struggling to make finals.

Reece Walsh is due back for Round 12 so Cobbo is likely to return to the centres against the Titans.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
**** Corey Parker is a merkin.
Why cant that bloke fade into obscurity where he belongs.
Anyone who has a good game, from any club, is a target for poaching, but Corey puts it on the record as though its some massive revelation no one else considered.
I cant stand this dude.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
People are free to throw the shade at Parker, I absolutely get it, but I fear he's not wrong. If we find out before the end of the year that Cobbo is fielding offers in the vicinity of 1 million a year, it would not surprise me in the slightest. There will be nuff nuff clubs out there right now watching his style of play at the back and are thinking he could be not unlike Inglis at Souffs.

We also need to be careful about identifying bullshit when we see it, and it's likely to come from the likes of Badel and Sloth. Sadly these ***** also set the narrative, which is exactly what Parker is doing here. Cheers for that fuckface.
He is spouting the obvious.
Yet we dont hear him come out and publicly declare in the news that Tedesco might go elsewhere because the Roosters have other options at fullback.
Or Papenhauzen at the Storm.
Or Latrell at Souths etc.

But when its the Broncos its all "they have no cap space" and "they have to lose one of them".

Just **** off already Parker you silly prick, we don't need him to put it out there.
Didn't the Pearl recently put out an article saying he thinks Cobbo will turn down bigger offers to stay at Brisbane?
Why didn't Parker mention that?
Parker is all about the clicks these days and has zero loyalty to the Broncos in any capacity, and even comes across as jaded and disgruntled with the club.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Let me get this straight ...
You folks are all upset that Corey Parker is telling the truth ?

I don`t see how Parker writing some dross on social media makes things happen ?
Selwyn - his Manager - prospective clubs have brains of their own . Just because Corey Parker says it , doesn`t mean it`s going to happen .
And further the notion that social media posts determine the value of a player contract is CLAZY ! .

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019

Selwyn - his Manager - prospective clubs have brains of their own . Just because Corey Parker says it , doesn`t mean it`s going to happen .
And further the notion that social media posts determine the value of a player contract is CLAZY ! .
Imagine if he did it to other clubs and other fullbacks! Then it would just be the norm, but it seems with Parker it's soley the Broncos he does this dramatic doom and gloom narrative with.
And no one is "upset" just annoyed that Parker seems to shit in the Broncos at every opportunity.

But hey, you keep sticking up for him while he shits on your team legend.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013

He is not telling the truth though, he is just speculating. No one has said that just because Parker says it that it will happen.

Of course players will be offered more by Parkers so called "lesser clubs", its hardly a news worthy notion.

Its pretty obvious that Parker has constantly highlighted negatives with the Broncos and seems to enjoy pushing this narrative which is what riles people up considering in his playing days he could be considered a club legend. His sour grapes at the club are obvious in his commentary on Fox.

He could have said something like "Cobbo had a great game at fullback which puts him in a position to receive large offers from clubs looking to add some xfactor but the kid loves it at the Broncos and why wouldn't you at the moment, they have a great squad with an open premiership window. He also loves it in the centres so the Broncos will be confident that with a good offer they can keep Cobbo at the club for a few years yet at least. Staggs is in a similar position, not the versatility of Cobbo but will be in high demand for clubs looking for a strike centre. Kevvie has come out in praise for Staggs lately and he is in the leadership group at the club so again, will take a mighty offer by a rival to prise him away from the Broncos where he has been since a teenager"

But Parker seems to prefer that he just cant see how we "could keep those players"...

Broncosgirl

Broncosgirl

Deep in the Heart of Queensland
Contributor
Nov 9, 2022
“I know he wants to play centre and he’s very happy at the Broncos, but money does strange things.”

Money does strange things .. like what, selling your soul to the Sydney centric media?

Well I guess Parker is the expert as far as that's concerned.

In the last 6 months he sold his home for over 3m. Parker might be rolling in the cash .. but he has no integrity, conscience, or loyality when it comes to anything Broncos.

That's why his Sydney centric opinions don't mean a lot to Broncos fans.

I wish he would take his $$'s .. and just fade away.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Every second day Corey is talking about a Broncos star getting poached. He needs to shut his pie hole. He’s also very negative about our club and we’re sick of it.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
He is not telling the truth though, he is just speculating. No one has said that just because Parker says it that it will happen.

Of course players will be offered more by Parkers so called "lesser clubs", its hardly a news worthy notion.

Its pretty obvious that Parker has constantly highlighted negatives with the Broncos and seems to enjoy pushing this narrative which is what riles people up considering in his playing days he could be considered a club legend. His sour grapes at the club are obvious in his commentary on Fox.

He could have said something like "Cobbo had a great game at fullback which puts him in a position to receive large offers from clubs looking to add some xfactor but the kid loves it at the Broncos and why wouldn't you at the moment, they have a great squad with an open premiership window. He also loves it in the centres so the Broncos will be confident that with a good offer they can keep Cobbo at the club for a few years yet at least. Staggs is in a similar position, not the versatility of Cobbo but will be in high demand for clubs looking for a strike centre. Kevvie has come out in praise for Staggs lately and he is in the leadership group at the club so again, will take a mighty offer by a rival to prise him away from the Broncos where he has been since a teenager"

But Parker seems to prefer that he just cant see how we "could keep those players"...
perfectly said.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Cobbo will be one of the broncos best centres ever along with legends like renouf and Hodges.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
He is spouting the obvious.
Yet we dont hear him come out and publicly declare in the news that Tedesco might go elsewhere because the Roosters have other options at fullback.
Or Papenhauzen at the Storm.
Or Latrell at Souths etc.

But when its the Broncos its all "they have no cap space" and "they have to lose one of them".

Just **** off already Parker you silly prick, we don't need him to put it out there.
Didn't the Pearl recently put out an article saying he thinks Cobbo will turn down bigger offers to stay at Brisbane?
Why didn't Parker mention that?
Parker is all about the clicks these days and has zero loyalty to the Broncos in any capacity, and even comes across as jaded and disgruntled with the club.

Are any of those players able to talk to other clubs in November? Why would Parker on a Brisbane radio spot talk about Tedesco? He's on the radio in the morning with Heals and Patty Welsh it's as Queensland as can be.

He does the league and talking about Cobbo's performance at fullback and possible ramifications for that performance.

As for the negative angle, he says there he loves him, the whole thing is about loving him and loving Friday night's performance. But he was asked by Ian Healy what does it mean from here.

A fair question.

Midean

Midean

State of Origin Rep
Jun 5, 2019
Are any of those players able to talk to other clubs in November? Why would Parker on a Brisbane radio spot talk about Tedesco? He's on the radio in the morning with Heals and Patty Welsh it's as Queensland as can be.

He does the league and talking about Cobbo's performance at fullback and possible ramifications for that performance.

As for the negative angle, he says there he loves him, the whole thing is about loving him and loving Friday night's performance. But he was asked by Ian Healy what does it mean from here.

A fair question.
He does it in commentary too.
It feels like whatever platform he is on, its doom and gloom for the Broncos.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
He does it in commentary too.
It feels like whatever platform he is on, its doom and gloom for the Broncos.

I don't see negativity at all or doom or gloom- he doesn't say Cobbo should leave.

Again, Heals asked him what this means for Cobbo staying in Brisbane and Parker answered it and answered it correctly.

If he is playing fullback like Friday night, his price goes up.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
Edit: Come on, that is not ok
Titans & Knights CEO’s says hi for trusting the media and throwing out ridiculous contracts to Dafifi & Ponga respectively.

On moron Parker though, he’s an idiot who’s sabotaging the club he played his career at for his own personal gains. He’s someone who doesn’t have any self belonging nor any loyalty. A complete dumb ****.

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • Swordfish
  • BooKhaki
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mr Fourex
  • Spoon
  • Johnny92
  • Browny
  • The Boss
  • Painin the Haas
  • Financeguy
  • Volvo Driver
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.