PLAYER Payne Haas

Yep, he has handled it so much better this year and even when not sure he would re-sign, he never once said something stupid or did something stupid. The respect level for him is through the roof.

It really seems like Kevvie might be a bit of a father figure to him too. Kevvie is just the best thing to happen to this club in a very, very long time. Donuts is obviously right up there but Kevvie just gets it and is the exact mentor our immensely talented kids needed.
Kev has always been great to him.

Without saying too much, when he first took over as head coach, Kev spoke to someone at the club who observes Ramadan to see how best to approach his training regime, anything he should be aware of, etc.

It's a little thing but it shows he cares and respects his players which goes a long way to getting the players to put in for you every week.

If we still had Seibold, Haas would be gone.

Without saying too much, when he first took over as head coach, Kev spoke to someone at the club who observes Ramadan to see how best to approach his training regime, anything he should be aware of, etc.

It's a little thing but it shows he cares and respects his players which goes a long way to getting the players to put in for you every week.

Let's face it - if we still had siebold at least 3/4 of us would also be gone.

Watching that press conference, and the emotion from Kev - he's not just a bloody good coach, he's a bloody good human.

All sports are pretty cut-throat these days, especially with the amount of money flying around and all the gambling involved. It's become rarer and rarer to see people like Kevvie in such a prominent position in a professional sport. I love it that's he gets emotional like that, he's such a genuine, fair dinkum bloke.

Can someone please remind Payne of the below, just in case the circus rolls into town in 18 months time….
1BF83A29-8845-47E0-B2E2-7132D3456521.jpeg

Posting it here.

"I think I've always wanted to stay here, probably on our end it was a bit, probably a bit immature from our end to be honest but at the end of the day we got it done and we all learned our lessons, I'm just happy we're here now.

Kev getting teary at the end shows just how much he loves Payno (and by extension why the team is playing so well, Kev is just so loveable) and why Payne was never going to leave.

I’m just glad I can love Payne Haas again. Was an awkward 12 months having what should be one of our most liked players not wanting to be here

I’m just glad I can love Payne Haas again. Was an awkward 12 months having what should be one of our most liked players not wanting to be here
That feeling of waiting for the axe to fall constantly. 15+ years ago, you didn't sweat us keeping the ones we wanted, these days it feels like a dog fight to keep even good ones, let alone the great ones.

Haas: “I would love to see it,’’ Haas said of the prospect of Mam and Walsh resigning. “They will be a big part of our team’s success, to see Walshy and Ezra, they are special players so if we can lock them down we will be in good hands.’’

Reynolds wants to extend a season but will not ask for "silly" money. Ezra apparently on 240k and Walsh is on 500k.

“You want to win premierships,” Haas said. “It would mean the world.

“I feel like the best place to do that is here and I feel like we have a good shot at this and not just a one-off premiership. You look at the team we’ve got on paper and the players coming through like Ezra Mam and young fellas like Xavier Willison, Ben Te Kura and Blake Mozer. It is a special group. Then you’ve got Patty Carrigan leading that and Capes (Kurt Capewell) as well.’’

Kev: “Financially, it’s a big investment, not only in Payne but in the team. No doubt it’s the biggest signing we have committed to and we are very comfortable with what’s happened.

“We understand where Payne is at. He is only 23 so you can imagine him in 12 months time where his football will take this club. Great players like Payne help everyone and make them better than what they are, that’s the beauty of the investment in Payne.

“I will share a story that shows a side of Payne’s character. He elected to stay home and get surgery on his shoulder rather than go and play for Australia and win the World Cup with them.

“He committed to being ready to start the season at the Broncos. On the back of his commitment, other players had a good look at themselves about when their surgery should be and how to do things. Simple things like that show how committed he is to the success of the club.’’

Haas: “I am staying because of Kevvie,” he said. “A lot of the boys I have come up with since the under-20s. “We are building something pretty special here and I want to be a part of it.

“I feel like we can do some damage in this competition for the next few years and I really want to be a part of it. Being close to family is important to me. “We were in talks for a couple of months now. I really wanted to stay here. They knew that.

“We were just trying to find the best deal for each other. We got it done and I am really grateful and blessed.

Merhi: “He had a three-year offer worth $2 million a season on the table,” said his manager Ahmad Merhi. “I won’t name the club, but I remember saying to Payne this is the difference between one or two homes. It was a lot of money, but Payne wasn’t solely driven by that.

“There was a $2 million offer, 100 per cent. I won’t go into exactly where that offer came from, but Payne knocked it back immediately. “I see Brisbane doing something special in the next three years and Payne feels the same way.

“He didn’t want to walk away now. Winning a premiership to him would be more than just chasing big money.”

Kev: “It means a lot to the Broncos,” he said. “Payne has been our most consistent player for the last four years.

“Payne is a guy we can build a club around. “I really admire his loyalty and his professionalism, not only to himself and his family, but to the Broncos. “He is one of the first blokes on the training field and last to leave.

“Come game day, race day, which is the most important day, he is always at the front. “That is what you can build good clubs, good character and all those things around.

“We are really grateful as a club that we can keep him here for another few more years and even longer than that.”

Merhi: “He had a three-year offer worth $2 million a season on the table,” said his manager Ahmad Merhi. “I won’t name the club, but I remember saying to Payne this is the difference between one or two homes. It was a lot of money, but Payne wasn’t solely driven by that.

“There was a $2 million offer, 100 per cent. I won’t go into exactly where that offer came from, but Payne knocked it back immediately. “I see Brisbane doing something special in the next three years and Payne feels the same way.

Narrator: There was no two million dollar offer.

If Haas's training professionalism can rub off on the likes of Willison and Te Kura over the next few years our team's Forward pack is probably going to fold the comp, to think Haas is smaller than the other two.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.