Rogers set for retirement

B

Bannermania

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
http://www.titans.com.au/default.as...d=29126&title=rogers-to-retire-at-end-of-2010

Jetstar Gold Coast Titan Mat Rogers will close the curtain on his glittering 16-year career at the end of the 2010 season, with the 34-year-old today announcing his retirement from the NRL.

The dual-international will retire from football at the conclusion of this year after making the decision to focus on the next chapter in his life in a role with the Jetstar Gold Coast Titans in Sponsorship Sales from 2011.

Sad day. God amongst men. You will be missed Matty!!

Don't let the door hit you on the vagina on the way out.

It is a sad day...if for no other reason that it means one more player who is older than me is calling it a day!

I think it's a shame he's retiring. He's still got it. But I guess that's the nature of footy these days. Money dries up so players have to retire perhaps even when they're not ready to.

Well, the Titans offered him a one year extension.. he didn't seem to think what they offered him was a slap in the face. Guess he wants to do more work with his charity

Bannermania said:
Well, the Titans offered him a one year extension.. he didn't seem to think what they offered him was a slap in the face. Guess he wants to do more work with his charity

And maybe he felt the Titans needed to start bringing some youth into the squad, since he's older than time itself (pretty sure the ancient Egyptians carved the hieroglyphics on his arms).

As much as I've heard some rather unsavoury stories about him from his time at Cronulla, his work with kids with autism I think shows that he has matured and become a pretty decent bloke. My cousin has had a fair bit to do with him (he suffers autism) and my aunty was telling my mum last night that my cousin was invited into the dressing sheds at the titans game on Saturday night. Rogers saw him and asked him if he remembered him, and that he has a picture of the 2 of them up in a frame at his house cause it means so much to him. He's also given him a ridiculous amount of merchandise over the last couple of years, so it seems he's grown up to be a very decent human being. Maybe that has a lot to do with leaving Cronulla........ eusa_think

Oh, but it's pretty damned close according to FB [icon_wink

He has more time to resurrect King Tut now that he's going to retire.

Nashy said:
Oh, but it's pretty damned close according to FB [icon_wink

Pffft. He's more than 18 months older than me.

Rogers is one of the few players who actually benefited (other than financially of course) from jumping ships to another code.

he was always a good rugby league player, but never really that great. when he came back, he was suddenly a playmaker who you could build a team around.

sad to see him go.

Sounds on the money Emma.

I recall Trevor Gillmeister wanted nothing to do with Matty Rogers for some reason or another. But he's seemed to of mellowed since he's gotten to know him.

Good player who never got the credit he deserves. Was happy to see hm back and still tear a few sides apart.

So just where has that massive pot of money that they were going to offer Inglis gone that they cannot re-sign Rogers on a semi-reasonable contract along with a promo job at the club.

mmmmmm interesting Michael Searle [icon_confu

Matty is his own man. He decides what Matty will do next year. Good luck to you mate. icon_thumbs_u

He'll be a huge loss for the Tits and an even bigger loss for Rugby league.

I like Rogers and IMO he could have gone on for another year easily.
Very good player.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • bazza
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • Skathen
  • Mister Wright
  • FACTHUNT
  • BruiserMk1
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Big Del
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Stix
  • ell.d33
  • Lostboy
  • Financeguy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Behind enemy lines
  • GCBRONCO
  • Aldo
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.