Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at Suncorp but definitely at red hill ^^

Strange, isn’t it? Country pluggers have to train under (bad) lights because they have jobs and train after work yet most play in daylight.
Elite footballers mostly play under lights yet train in daylight, usually mornings.

Just watching the storm versus souths game right now. Boy if Kevvie hasnt got these boys fitness up to scratch we are gonna struggle!! Likewise if anyone is carrying extra kilos they will struggle

Previously you kick the ball into touch for a breather but now with the restart just a play the ball it really takes away that little stopage. Also with trys awarded immediately and reviewed while the kicker is setting up that shortens breaks given 2 out of every 3 trys used to go up to the video ref.

Throw in 6 agains instead of penalties and there's another break gone and before you know it you nearly have 40 straight minutes with no break.

Really emphasises disciplined footy!

Paix and Kennedy drop off the bench.

I don't mind a 4 forward bench with these new rules in place early in the season. Fresh legs in the middle equal speed.
But if we are in the game with 20 to go (unlikely), walters telling dearden to get on there with fresh legs and eyes to win the game for us may work on a few different levels....

In terms of important games in the broncos history, where does everyone rank tonight's match?

When you break it down its not just a new coach but its an old boy who has really been the sentimental favourite to coach the club for years.

Its another chapter in the "post wayne bennett" era where we are yet to taste success.

It's the first game after what was by far the worst season in broncos history.

To me, what a win would do for the club tonight as opposed to what another convincing loss would do for our future is simply to large to emphasise.

In terms of important games in the broncos history, where does everyone rank tonight's match?

When you break it down its not just a new coach but its an old boy who has really been the sentimental favourite to coach the club for years.

Its another chapter in the "post wayne bennett" era where we are yet to taste success.

It's the first game after what was by far the worst season in broncos history.

To me, what a win would do for the club tonight as opposed to what another convincing loss would do for our future is simply to large to emphasise.
A win would be great but any form of improvement should probably be the expectation. There no overstating how bad the team was last season and how little the playing group has changed. If there was even one marque signing to hang your hopes on it might be different, but we are in for another long year.

That being said I’m that keen for the game.

I think losing by a significant margin will be a set back. If in losing, they show improvement that will be a tick in Kevie's column for retention.
If they win, it will do wonders for morale, but what is really important is consistent improvement of a series of matches.

A win would be great but any form of improvement should probably be the expectation. There no overstating how bad the team was last season and how little the playing group has changed. If there was even one marque signing to hang your hopes on it might be different, but we are in for another long year.

That being said I’m that keen for the game.
I think while the 30+ squad hasn't changed enormously it's not the same case for the 17. Not to go into exhaustive detail but off the top of my head the 17 playing tonight, compared to rd 20 last year, has Issaako (may or may not be a good thing but likely a step up from Boyd), Milford, Turpin, Lodge, and Asiata, minus Boyd, Staggs and Joe O. The return of our hooker, most dynamic half and our most experienced prop should be worth something.

Broncos by 8.

Last edited:
I think while the 30+ squad hasn't changed enormously it's not the same case for the 17. Not to go into exhaustive detail but off the top of my head the 17 playing tonight, compared to rd 20 last year, has Issaako (may or may not be a good thing but likely a step up from Boyd), Milford, Turpin, Lodge, and Asiata, minus Boyd, Staggs and Joe O. The return of our hooker, most dynamic half and our most experienced prop should be worth something.

Broncos by 8.
Definitely, I think what Turpin brings to this team is underrated and watching Storm last night, I’m not sure if I’d consider B Smith a worthwhile upgrade considering the prices differences.

Last edited:
Definitely, I think what Turpin brings to this team is underrated and watching Storm last night, I’m not sure if I’d consider B Smith a worthwhile upgrade considering the prices differences.
I feel that's a little harsh on Brandon Smith. Let's not forget, he's spent the entire preseason preparing to play as a Middle Forward and was dumped into that role weeks out from Round 1. Every play and every strategy was no doubt built around Harry Grant, who is a vastly different player to Brandon Smith.

I actually thought he was pretty good considering the circumstances and with a few more games under his belt in that role I suspect he'd have them really firing from Dummy Half, but as soon as he's settled in he'll be back to playing as a Middle Forward again.

If anyone is on a white ticket. Aisle 326 Row 14 Seat 32 and 31 will be vacant tonight if you wanna head down.

I feel that's a little harsh on Brandon Smith. Let's not forget, he's spent the entire preseason preparing to play as a Middle Forward and was dumped into that role weeks out from Round 1. Every play and every strategy was no doubt built around Harry Grant, who is a vastly different player to Brandon Smith.

I actually thought he was pretty good considering the circumstances and with a few more games under his belt in that role I suspect he'd have them really firing from Dummy Half, but as soon as he's settled in he'll be back to playing as a Middle Forward again.
It wasn’t meant as a knock on Smith. I just think Turpin is underrated by some.

It wasn’t meant as a knock on Smith. I just think Turpin is underrated by some.
That's not all that unfair on those people though. He hasn't exactly racked up a huge amount of NRL time as a Dummy Half. He spent 2019 playing a lot of Halfback and a lot of 2020 being injured.

He's hard to rate highly when he just doesn't have a lot of footy under his belt that most people would have actually seen. I think the Queensland Cup guys around here who've seen more of him would likely say he's shown a bit more at NRL level than he actually did at Queensland Cup level which is fairly encouraging, but personally I'd be waiting until he had at least a dozen or so unbroken NRL games playing good minutes in his preferred position before I'd be starting to really try to pass judgement on him with any degree of certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• vertigo
  • Yem
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Brocko
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Wolfie
  • Midean
  • ezpz
  • Justwin
  • jd87
  • Brotherdu
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Viti
  • Bronx48
  • cento
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 44 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.