Tera

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2014
Last edited:
Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Corey Parker will play his 300th game of first grade tommorow. Congrats Corey well done mate!'

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Have been busy so haven't had a close look at the team. Clearing my schedule for tomorrow night! I was expecting a few surprises. Vidot missing out isn't that much of a shock to me. Maranta had a better year than he did last season, imo. It's just that they're both such radically different players and styles so it just depends on what the coach wants.

Glad to see Maranta keep his spot as we need to reward players that have good years in otherwise bad seasons. Disappointed that Copley isn't at centre but he can run the ball back strong like Vidot can. Not overly happy with Reed being picked - if Glenn is not guaranteed for a spot next year and has been told to lift his game, it should go double for this guy surely.

Pretty happy with the forwards. Parker is back at lock, thank goodness! Bench is interesting - really looking forward to seeing Gavet in action. I hope Dodds makes a strong return from his injury.

C'mon Thursday...

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Really? I've stuck up for Maranta more than most, but this is going too far.

Haha, maybe a little but I'll stand by it. I understand people wanting Vidot and upset at Maranta. Unlike Vidot, I don't think there was a huge gap between Maranta's best and worst performances in 2014. He's evolving into a good, solid player - every team needs them.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I like to pretend the Melbourne @ Suncorp game didn't exist either CaptainHook...

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
I like to pretend the Melbourne @ Suncorp game didn't exist either CaptainHook...

Haha, good one Pete but I don't think games against Melbourne are a real accurate example of form, though. Ever since 2007, the whole team seem to forget how to play Rugby League against them whenever they roll into town.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Others may forget how to play, but Maranta plays like he's working for the opposition.

Not just a one off either - the game that he's remembered for was Melbourne @ Melbourne in 2013.

How many tries did he bomb that night?

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Others may forget how to play, but Maranta plays like he's working for the opposition.

Not just a one off either - the game that he's remembered for was Melbourne @ Melbourne in 2013.

How many tries did he bomb that night?

Our record against Melbourne is absolutely pathetic. Last year was the worst. They were meant to be struggling but still comprehensively beat us in every facet of the game.

Regarding your question - I'm not sure. I'd guess probably about 4? Maybe two certainties. I think he's improved out of sight since then.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Well folks, don't bother tuning in on the 21st of June or 3rd of September. :laugh:

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Well folks, don't bother tuning in on the 21st of June or 3rd of September. :laugh:

You wanna have a discussion or not? I answered your points. If you think I'm wrong, say why you disagree. If you can't be bothered getting into it, just ignore it. Poor form, Pete.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Were we having a discussion? I thought we were just joking around.

Seriously, you can't just write off a game because it doesn't suit your agenda. Maranta was awful that night and it was one of the worst, if not THE worst performance of any player that season.

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
fb post from vidot

11044587_1566185796962919_7431068286569107405_n.jpg

Wow, what a fantastic attitude that is right there. Great stuff Daniel am so proud of you. Guys ,if he goes back to Ipswich and really puts hes head down and works hard, im sure we will see him back where he belongs within a few weeks at most. His obviously very determined and a proud man and it would be hurting him not to be selected.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Interesting note from the press conference today...

The reason why Wayne selected Whitchurch was simply for coverage in the backs. He knows that Glenn and Gillett can play out there but wasn't a fan so he wants to give Aaron a shot to see how he goes.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Were we having a discussion? I thought we were just joking around.

Seriously, you can't just write off a game because it doesn't suit your agenda. Maranta was awful that night and it was one of the worst, if not THE worst performance of any player that season.

Against Melbourne, it's tough not to write it off as by and large the majority of the team are fairly poor against them and have been for years. Maybe I'm too harsh as there have been games where we have absolutely given it to them only to fall short. Imo, there's not much you can really take out of games against the Storm. They have the wood over us by a long way. If you can find positives, good for you.

Not sure if you read my post but I actually said he did bomb tries that night so I'm not exactly giving him a free pass, either. How is that suiting my agenda? If we're gonna not give players a chance based on a game two years ago, we'd have a completely different squad. I think, by and large, Maranta has improved. Maybe he was the best of a bad lot but it is what it is.

Vidot was quite good as well but I find his defining quality, namely making those big metre gainers, a bit misleading.

Do you think that his hit-ups are blown out of proportion due to the fact that our forwards, collectively as a pack, were outgunned on a regular basis? Individually guys like Parker and McGuire were outstanding, but we didn't seem to play well as a team though. Maybe it's related to the problems we had in the halves but I just think if a winger is making our forwards look good we probably have a problem.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014

The reason why Wayne selected Whitchurch was simply for coverage in the backs. He knows that Glenn and Gillett can play out there but wasn't a fan so he wants to give Aaron a shot to see how he goes.

I'd assumed that was the rationale, but even so, couldn't Vidot have provided equal value?

Both big lads, strong runners, neither particularly quick or nimble, capable of covering backline or forwards, also equally butter fingered.

Struggle to see what Whitchurch brings to the table over Vidot.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

surely we have better coverage for the backs than Whitchurch ... if not, we are in serious trouble if we get an injury or anyone selected in an origin team.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The problem with Maranta's performance was that it wasn't a one off.

He was terrible against Melbourne @ AAMI in 2013.

He was terrible against Melbourne @ Suncorp in 2014.

To simply write it off is silly and furthermore it wasn't the only bad game from Lachlan.

My point is he isn't a consistent player and that's the only point I was making.

Unread

Active Now

• Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.