Cowboys

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
In 2020 and then when he came back in 2021 he was scoring almost a try per game and was tearing up on the edge.... In 2022 he was far more ineffective in attack. I don't think he was necessarily doing any more / getting more involved / doing anything differently in 2020 and 2021, I think he was just converting more opportunities into positive plays.
Either him or Kevvie said in an interview recently that he wasn't really gonna be doing stuff like that anymore because he was getting injured all the time. I'm guessing that's why he's put the extra weight on too. I kind of admire him and the coaching staff for putting in the hard work to change his style and mitigate injuries. If he keeps up the great defensive work it will be a worthwhile change imo.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
As much, if not more blame should go to Reynolds. I dunno why we aren’t utilising Kotoni well but it probably has something to do with spending little time in genuine attacking situations.

Correct sir....if you're gonna have a crack about one of your centres not getting enough ball, your 7 or 6 would be more logical to criticise than your 9.

I'm not sure McHunt understands how RL is played..... 🤔

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
We had one attacking sweep play right last game and Selwyn fumbled the ball and kicked it too hard dead. The ball didn't make it to Staggs much other than that, especially in a danger zone.

The week before Walsh held the ball sweeping right and scored. Selwyn also scored, cutting out Staggs, but in every involvement Staggs is a potential threat and allows space for these plays to occur.

Typically, however, to get the ball to Staggs in the danger zone the ball is going to go from the left of centre (to draw the defense thin on the right) this means it will usually go PTB, 9, 7, 1, Staggs/Winger. Safer bet is winger with Staggs being a link and Riki running a line. So, his involvement, especially on the weaker final play side (we usually pass left to Herbie or Oates and kick right) is limited to the delivery. It looked to me like that requires the fullback to direct it at the moment.

Further up the field Reynolds tends to be finding Staggs on the right with blindside plays, but expecting Staggs to score 60m trys from that kind of play is not realistic, and he often tries to free Cobbo there (while Herbie does not pass as much in that situation).

Staggs does seem to take some early hit-ups and had a great run in the trial against Cows which allowed for a big line break (10 min into the second half) that Riki bombed. Also, these early shifts right, where Staggs and Cobbo lay a foundation mean that the Broncos can aim to finish their set going to the favoured left.

I'm sure this won't be the case all the time, because the Broncos look to actually be balancing left and right attack, but I totally don't see Staggs as the issue because he isn't going looking for the ball, especially if we're having success going to the opposite side of the field.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Forgot to add that Staggs also has a larger defensive job to do in protecting Reynolds, who is target No. 1 for the opposition, and they run a lot of traffic at him. I'd rather have him helping Reynolds survive the match than taking scoots from dummy half when it's not necessary.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Forgot to add that Staggs also has a larger defensive job to do in protecting Reynolds, who is target No. 1 for the opposition, and they run a lot of traffic at him. I'd rather have him helping Reynolds survive the match than taking scoots from dummy half when it's not necessary.

TBH, inside shoulder is far easier than outside shoulder. Speed gets you on the outside, lazy mindset gets you on the inside.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
TBH, inside shoulder is far easier than outside shoulder. Speed gets you on the outside, lazy mindset gets you on the inside.
Whose inside shoulder are you talking about? Staggs' or Reynolds'? Because it means Staggs needs to be first working to protect Reynolds on his inside shoulder and reacting fast enough to protect his outside edge and give Cobbo/Arthars good indication of how they should react in turn.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Whose inside shoulder are you talking about? Staggs' or Reynolds'? Because it means Staggs needs to be first working to protect Reynolds on his inside shoulder and reacting fast enough to protect his outside edge and give Cobbo/Arthars good indication of how they should react in turn.

Push man on man means inside to Staggs typically. If outside Staggs push towards sideline and jam.

Mick_Hancock

Mick_Hancock

NRL Player
Feb 26, 2023
Dude we could win 5 premierships in a row, and ppl on here would still be complaining about Walters at 9 or Staggs not running enough...
😂 see @Santa, there is no pleasing those that are determined to be offended.

Mick_Hancock

Mick_Hancock

NRL Player
Feb 26, 2023
👍🏻 hence my earlier point about him turning into a well rounded TC style centre with speed. You get whacked a few times, you leave the 👑 in the #7 jersey alone.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Ok guys. Matty Johns has picked a combine Broncos/Cowboys team. let's see if you can spot a shock omission:

1. Scott Drinkwater
2. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Val Holmes
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Tom Dearden
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Reuben Cotter
9. Reece Robson
10. Payne Hass
11. Jeremiah Nanai
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Jake Granville
15. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
16. Marty Taupau
17. Tom Flegler

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Ok guys. Matty Johns has picked a combine Broncos/Cowboys team. let's see if you can spot a shock omission:

1. Scott Drinkwater
2. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Val Holmes
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Tom Dearden
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Reuben Cotter
9. Reece Robson
10. Payne Hass
11. Jeremiah Nanai
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Jake Granville
15. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
16. Marty Taupau
17. Tom Flegler

Been in to Joey's stash again by the looks. Maybe Newy were going for Patty so he's butthurt?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

1. Scott Drinkwater
2. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Val Holmes
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Murray Taulagi
6. Tom Dearden
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Reuben Cotter
9. Reece Robson
10. Payne Hass
11. Jeremiah Nanai
12. Kurt Capewell
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Jake Granville
15. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown
16. Marty Taupau
17. Tom Flegler
Billy Walters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Canga
  • Broncorob
  • MrMoore
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Scorchie
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.