10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I wouldn't mind if Bennett brought Joe back and gave him another game before the Origin period.
We need to be at full strength to bring Joe back as the bench was inexperienced last night without him

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I really hope Oates and vidot retain the wing spots when kahu returns. Maranta has been safe at fullback but as a winger really offers nothing in attack and kick returns. Vidot ran a whopping 170 odd metres last night. Takes pressure off forwards.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
All I know is we definitely need to be running with a four prop rotation. None of our second stringers make enoough meters to run with only three props bar wallace and he is so penalty prone we need a safer prop for clutch moments. I'd be happy with molo/offa/dodds/garbutt or Thaiday if Blair is back.

B

BroncosFan_Corey

QCup Player
Nov 2, 2013
I want to see more penalties for incorrect play the ball. I'm getting sick of players just tunnelballing it through their legs and not even putting a foot on the ball.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
I'm very confident about winning this game, we've dominated the Dragons over the last few years and have much more attacking firepower than they do. The Dragons are last for points scored on 55 atm whilst we have now scored 132 after last night. 110 before last night which was 4th best.

I really hope Oates and vidot retain the wing spots when kahu returns. Maranta has been safe at fullback but as a winger really offers nothing in attack and kick returns. Vidot ran a whopping 170 odd metres last night. Takes pressure off forwards.

Exactly right. Wingers these days are like extra forwards and Vidot's strength serves us well and takes pressure of the forward pack. If I was recruiting/selecting a team having a winger like Vidot would be essential.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
All I know is we definitely need to be running with a four prop rotation. None of our second stringers make enoough meters to run with only three props bar wallace and he is so penalty prone we need a safer prop for clutch moments. I'd be happy with molo/offa/dodds/garbutt or Thaiday if Blair is back.

I don't think a 4th prop will help much. They already don't play too many minutes with just 3 of them on the bench. They'll be getting even less with 4.

A hooker is far more valuable IMO.

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014
I agree with Alec. The bench utility is more valuable, and Kodi is doing a good job for us atm. I was a little nervous when he came on last night in a very heavy defencive period but he held his own.

it's not like the dragons have the biggest pack running around. And we have a lot of forwards that can play big minutes already. 3 and a utility for me.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Wouldn't mind Kodi being dropped and Parcell given a shot. We've seen what Kodi can offer, I'd love to see some other options.

K-Style

K-Style

NRL Player
Jun 1, 2014
Our forwards have managed fairly well all year except for maybe Souths.
The guys we do have on the bench need more game time so throwing another prop into the mix..I don't think it will help.

In fact the stats for last night are currently showing they made good use of their time. I'm not sure if they're finalised yet but here we are:

Jarrod Wallace 23m 7 runs 59m 16 tackles
Mitch Garbutt 18min 5 runs 37m 14 tackles
Mitchell Dodds 24min 7 runs 56m 27 tackles

Interestingly McGuire has 153m and Vidot 182m and across the board it looks like everyone contributed some decent metres.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Our forwards have managed fairly well all year except for maybe Souths.
The guys we do have on the bench need more game time so throwing another prop into the mix..I don't think it will help.

In fact the stats for last night are currently showing they made good use of their time. I'm not sure if they're finalised yet but here we are:

Jarrod Wallace 23m 7 runs 59m 16 tackles
Mitch Garbutt 18min 5 runs 37m 14 tackles
Mitchell Dodds 24min 7 runs 56m 27 tackles

Interestingly McGuire has 153m and Vidot 182m and across the board it looks like everyone contributed some decent metres.

I think that's an understatement. We ran over 1900m compared to 1590 of theirs.

And I can't praise the defence enough, but, at the risk of labouring the point, the one on one defence, especially Thaiday was excellent, also giving us decent metres in another valuable way - stopping them dead in their tracks more than less.

It was just so good seeing Thaiday's hits. Again labouring the point, his technique of hitting JWH from under and lifting, using JWH's forward momentum against him, then dumping him on his back was 1st class tackling a la Tonie Carroll.

JWH made no metres, in fact was driven back, we had 1 tackler instead of 3 (although Macca and Parker assisted in 2) so 1-2 extra players in defence, plus the psychological impact as I said before, of having your premier prop (and Moa too) dumped like a sack of potatoes - quite a few times.

That is aggressive, hitting, that is real rugby league defence and if we continue to do it, we will be not only hard to beat, but a fearsome side in this competition.

Can't remember how long since we were considered a fearsome outfit ... or at the top of the ladder for that.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I must say that Wallace has been pretty average the last 2 weeks after all the praise we heaped on him, not sure what happened.

K-Style

K-Style

NRL Player
Jun 1, 2014
I must say that Wallace has been pretty average the last 2 weeks after all the praise we heaped on him, not sure what happened.

Im not sure what you are expecting him to do. He was bending the line and carrying a few defenders each time. He got penalised for a chicken wing tackle but damned if I could see it in the replay. The commentator said hes "having a second go" but the guys arm didnt even go 90 degrees (ie it was in front of him the whole time).

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

he's not going that badly:

against the Roosters he made 59m and 16 tackles in 23 mins
against the Titans he made 21m and 23 tackles in 27 mins (but most of the time he was on we were defending the whole time)

and if you compare it to Blair (who according to Bennett we are missing badly) he hasn't done that in any match except against the cowboys)

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The Broncos haven't lost to the Dragons since Round 5 2010.

The last time a Bennett coached Broncos side defeated St George Illawarra was in Round 6 2005.

Which hoodoo is stronger?

I'm wary of every game at the moment. While I absolutely loved the Roosters win, I know all it will take is for one loss to knock us down a peg. Just look at Newcastle for example. I remember reading a thread over on LU, trying to predict which round they would be beaten. As it turns out, it was the week after, now it looks like they've crashed down to earth in a big way. The Broncos could go absolutely the same way but I really think we've got to make hay while the sun is shining and while the victory was far from perfect, it was one of those wins that could carry the Broncos.

The best option is by far the most boring one. The injured trio comes in - Vidot, Reed and Garbutt bow out and we play on from there.

I understand the fear of complacency and all that but I think it's important to build around a core 17 and branching out when the moment arises.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
Everyone misunderstood my four prop rotation. That includes the starters. Not four on the bench. Just saying we need to maintain the current rotation rather than 2 second rowers on the bench like last year.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The last time a Bennett coached Broncos side took on the Dragons.

The good thing is, we won't have to put up with Gasnier or Cooper tearing us to shreds..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Alihaider
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.