11 A. Crichton 2 8 1 2 3 4 20 2 0 18 2 1 10m 144m 0 0
12 N. Butcher 0 0 0 0 1 1 30 2 0 9 1 0 0m 72m 0 2
13 C. Watson 1 4 1 1 2 0 45 0 0 14 2 1 30m 92m 0 0
14 S. Wong 0 0 0 0 0 0 15 3 0 6 0 0 0m 37m 2 0
16 E. Butcher 0 0 0 0 1 1 23 1 0 7 0 0 0m 54m 0 0
17 T. May 2 8 0 2 4 0 26 0 0 16 0 0 0m 119m 0 1
19 S. Tupouniua 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 5 0 0 0m 47m 0 0
21 S. Smith 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

I don't think it's realistic tbh, We did have a few games with Sailor there as a 17 but he did get exposed defensively at 6 even if it wasn't all his fault in those situations.

I think we have to have Oates atleast on the bench going forward as that Bench forward/outside back option, that's probably the best we can do.

We have very big edge forwards which hurts us when they have to cover centre as they are just not suitable for it.
Yeah I don't think we could pull it off with our current injuries, but Kevie mentioned they were too kick happy at the end of the press conference, which wasn't in the game plan. Having a utility playmaker they can rotate in to follow the gameplan could be beneficial though, if they can find a playmaker talented enough and capable of it like Hynes was for Melbourne.

I actually wonder if we have it around the wrong way with the Second rower covering centre, and actually need a centre who can cover second row. Historically guys like Gene Miles and Tonie Carroll started at centre, then moved infield.

Good luck getting Walsh off the field - I've never seen a more stubborn player.

You'd probably be better off picking a trainer strong and fast enough to drag Walshy off the field.

Granted, I don't think Walsh was alone tonight. The entire team was erratic with both Haas and Patty forcing offloads, Billy and Ezra getting in on the chip and chase action, even Reynolds was calling plays that were never on. Did anyone see the attempt at trying to bring Staggs down the left-side only for Reynolds to pass it to no one? Even his decision to go out the back to Walsh when Sydney always had the numbers was just poor play.

They all appeared receptive to criticism at half-time until they got into the junk time and they were just trying things for the sake of it.
It was almost like that scene from that Keanu Reeves and Gene Hackman movie "The Replacements". Keanu's character says that his greatest fear is quicksand. The rest of his team look at him confused and then he goes on to explain it. "One thing goes wrong, then another, then another. The more you try to fight it the deeper it gets until you can't breathe and your in over your head, like quicksand" I might be paraphrasing, but it's something very similar to that.

Yeah I don't think we could pull it off with our current injuries, but Kevie mentioned they were too kick happy at the end of the press conference, which wasn't in the game plan. Having a utility playmaker they can rotate in to follow the gameplan could be beneficial though, if they can find a playmaker talented enough and capable of it like Hynes was for Melbourne.

I actually wonder if we have it around the wrong way with the Second rower covering centre, and actually need a centre who can cover second row. Historically guys like Gene Miles and Tonie Carroll started at centre, then moved infield.
it's not all that, all our wingers can play centre(Arthars and Mariner are centres mostly in their careers), none of our second rowers are suitable for centre, which is an issue considering in theory the positions are not that different, we do have Staggs who is a centre with backrow and even some middle experience, but Cobbo is more a Spine/Outside back type, that said Staggs has more Half experience, but Cobbo has played more Fullback than outside back before first grade, both of them are excellent defensively though so they are not the issue here, it's when they are moved from centre to wing.

The issue is we have big backrowers who can't play centre, alot of teams have the centre sized back rowers and it's not an issue but for us it's obvious because we have gone size for basically all forward positions.

Centre is probably the hardest defensive position in the game to understand though, it requires a decent amount of agility to get the best out of the role defensively which rules out alot of the bigger backrowers not capable of that.

I think the size issue can't be helped but it's a trainable situation defensively, I think there has been too many situations this season already to ignore it, our backrowers need centre defensive training.

Some are natural at it, Capewell comes to mind, but most Require some training at it, I don't think we can ignore this any longer.

Our record against the top tier sides is poor this year. Crazy how those 4 games against the top sides have played out. Everything that could go wrong on the injury front has. We’ve gotta find a way to get through spoke adversity and also fix our defence. That said if we don’t respect the ball more we will keep making it hard for ourselves. The game from Walsh last night reminded me of the Slater disaster game in the World Cup final at Suncorp

I can't recall any howlers and the Broncos were the beneficiaries of a generous advantage call. The Riki try could have easily been called back for Carrigan charging into Collins as well, albeit the bunker appeared to have applied common sense to that ruling.

Brisbane just didn't control the ruck anywhere near as well as the Roosters and it eventually took it's toll. While the Roosters were obviously spoiling the ruck and getting under the skin, it did take it's toll and the Broncos did nothing to return to serve. As a result, Klein was screaming at the Broncos players to move because they weren't doing enough to make a nuisance of themselves.
Yeah they were killing us with the offloads. It’s something we’re very poor at and is something Parra will try to chance their hand with next week.

I agree with the ruck spoiling too and it’s another thing we need to improve with. It’s no coincidence the teams who’ve beaten us this year are those who are prepared to play cynically. I think we’re the best pure “football” team in the competition but we aren’t good at “systems” and ruck control and all the other stuff you need to be successful in the modern game.

I don't think the Roosters were that good. It was more our own ineptitude that kept them in the game early, and with the injuries the scoreline blew out making them look a lot better than they were. There defence was ok but were allowed to stand offside all night and the bounce of the ball seemed to go their way all night.

Bludger of a game from us and everything that could go wrong did go wrong. I love how Reece throws everything at the opposition and is fucking electrifying but he needs to grow up..... he's not a 16yo playing park footy anymore. We'll be right but just need to get back playing smarter footy.

Yeah they were killing us with the offloads. It’s something we’re very poor at and is something Parra will try to chance their hand with next week.

I agree with the ruck spoiling too and it’s another thing we need to improve with. It’s no coincidence the teams who’ve beaten us this year are those who are prepared to play cynically. I think we’re the best pure “football” team in the competition but we aren’t good at “systems” and ruck control and all the other stuff you need to be successful in the modern game.
We need to hit and put players on the ground in tackles instead of this catch and hold crap that with the amount of offloads the Chooks got away isn't working. We got put on our backs in a tackle at least a few times every set and it really slowed down the play the ball speed.

This would allow us to take a leaf out of the Storm, Panthers and Roosters play book and start moving as a line before the ball is played to cut down their space with the ball. More than a few times last night the entire Roosters defensive line had taken 1 to 2 steps and the ball hadn't hit the ground in the play the ball. Klown only penalised them twice from what I can remember but it let them get away with this because they got the tackled player on their back and slowed the tackle down more than not.

Haas can be the worst offender at this at times and being the biggest guy on the field really needs to bend his back and hit guys with a shoulder and not be a human catch and hold pillow.

I myself would rather watch attacking play without the stifling defence like how the game was played in the 90's but the NRL rule changes and the way they interpret them means we have to do our best to slow down the ruck like the other top teams are now doing.

Our record against the top tier sides is poor this year. Crazy how those 4 games against the top sides have played out. Everything that could go wrong on the injury front has. We’ve gotta find a way to get through spoke adversity and also fix our defence. That said if we don’t respect the ball more we will keep making it hard for ourselves. The game from Walsh last night reminded me of the Slater disaster game in the World Cup final at Suncorp
We’ve been trying to blow the top teams off the park every play rather than rolling up the sleeves and getting into the grind. The injuries haven’t helped but we’ve simply just imploded against those teams resulting in those big scores against us. Walsh gets too overwhelmed by those teams too.

We’ve been trying to blow the top teams off the park every play rather than rolling up the sleeves and getting into the grind. The injuries haven’t helped but we’ve simply just imploded against those teams resulting in those big scores against us. Walsh gets too overwhelmed by those teams too.
It’s pretty simple for Walsh. Just run the ball. It will open up for him eventually. He certainly is trying for the big play every time he has the ball. This period without Reynolds will help him mature.

Fair play to the Roosters, missing quite a few of their own players yet had a game plan and stuck to it.

Speaking of game plans.

Like Penrith, Brisbane play for the grind, knowing that as the game progresses we have the firepower to take advantage across the park.

Where was that last night? Touh football more like. Why? Did the coaching staff identify something about the Roosters defensive scheme that could be exploited via turning up the tempo? Chip kicks etc..?

I dunno, but couldnt beleive we would play like that against a top-4 side.

This is why we have invested time and resources into Madden. Once fit, its his time..

I get the feeling that next season Arey needs to be closely monitored, and any sort of injury sees him sit and Madden gets a run out.

Small players like Reynolds, at his age, are going to face increasingly higher threats of injuries im afraid.

Fair play to the Roosters, missing quite a few of their own players yet had a game plan and stuck to it.

Speaking of game plans.

Like Penrith, Brisbane play for the grind, knowing that as the game progresses we have the firepower to take advantage across the park.

Where was that last night? Touh football more like. Why? Did the coaching staff identify something about the Roosters defensive scheme that could be exploited via turning up the tempo? Chip kicks etc..?

I dunno, but couldnt beleive we would play like that against a top-4 side.

This is why we have invested time and resources into Madden. Once fit, its his time..

I get the feeling that next season Arey needs to be closely monitored, and any sort of injury sees him sit and Madden gets a run out.

Small players like Reynolds, at his age, are going to face increasingly higher threats of injuries im afraid.
Kevvie said those chip kicks weren’t part of the game plan. I think he was at a bit of a loss with that first half performance and after that the chaos and injuries just made it too hard for us against a good roosters team

The morning after the night before. It’s still as horrendous as I remember.

On reflection, whilst we didn’t play well and certain individuals need to take a good hard long look at themselves, losing Arthars and Reyno to injury, then Mariner sin binned then Mam sent off for a HIA….. we had one bloke on the bench……

Roosters sniffed blood and went for it. It’s that sort of ruthlessness that’s missing from us. We’re far too nice at times, where’s the mongrel?

Going for an eye exam this morning and if they find any damage, I’ll know what to attribute it to.

Every single game we have lost weve had a back or half go down. Enough is enough. Yes it isnt the best but we almost guarantee a loss with 1 injury to any of 7 players. We probably wouldn't have won any of the games if we did replace back with a back but guarantee we would have had a better chance.

Move forward with the times I reckon, 2 forwards on the bench is enough, especially with the endurance of our pack . Sailor in for baker. Oates, the ideal, once arthurs is back.

We can bounce back from this. We're too good to be out of the race this early in the comp.

Reece... Gee whiz, If there ever was a time to learn a lesson about being patient and building pressure or just simply reigning it in. This would be it. We lost to those Muppets at HOME and they put 40 on us, young man, a couple of those tries are on you

Our middles. We lost the little battles in contact and then the wrestling. I thought last week when we did that, it was sort of a cue for our A defenders and the markers would make up for it and tighten up, push up hard with strong inside pressure. We didn't do that consistently all night

Injuries. Freak accidents. Bad luck ay

I felt we were in it until the Mariner sin bin. Then Ezra's HIA just made things worse for us and they pumped us with that scoreline

That being said... I wouldn't be kicking cans. We can bounce back from this and string wins together. I just think we're too good of a side to get into a form slump

The more I think about Reece Walsh the more I think he is a fullback trying to play like a halfback. He needs to pull back the passing and kicking and just take the line on more. If he gets through a hole or finds himself in space that's the time to pass or kick for a support player. This may give him 1 or 2 opportunities that will lead to a try or a try assist and that's all we need not 10 frantic passes that lead to 1 try assist but 9 mistakes that just gift possession, field position and points to the other side.

We know he can do it because he played a mistake free game in Origin.

The kick on zero tackle was NEVER on, I couldn’t believe he did it. That set the tone for the game because from there they did the short kick off (have we ever won one of those) and the rest is history. After that everytime Reece had the ball he tried to dummy out and pass inside and either dropped it or threw it to no one. There was one play where we had a 3-1 Reece out the back screaming for the ball and I think it was Walters dummied to him And passed flat. Walsh was livid, and I think gets more frantic after that. That dummy was a bombed try for sure, hopefully they look at that in the video.

The bloke beside us at the game kept talking to his mate about how there is NO aggression in our pack, no one goes out looking to dominate and intimidate: I think the only one is Hetherington and he needs help.

Crichton was outstanding and gave Riki a master class on how to play the back row position. Not since Matt Gillett have we had a guy play that position using his body/running lines/footy IQ to lift his team to a win.

Fletcher Baker getting a lot of love here, but watching it live I came away with the opinion he needs to be shot into the sun. What a potato. He was mowed over the top of by 2 back to back tries, the first one was Connor Watson half his size which sealed our loss and the 2nd one he was isolated by the roosters front rower and destroyed. It was embarrassing to watch. Bye Felicia.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.