State of Origin Game II - NSW vs QLD

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
QLD were still smacking them hard in the last 10 minutes.

We need to come out with the same aggression to start the second half.

V

Viti

NRL Player
Feb 2, 2011
I’m not watching the game in the hopes that I might actually get a decent nights sleep but did Cordner have the ball in his hands and was in the act of putting it down? If not how can you conclusively say he would’ve scored the try?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Bias aside, the penalty try was fair and the right one

not even close to being the right call ...

there has to be absolute certainty before a penalty try can be awarded ... not "we reckon he would have got there"

it was definitely not an absolute certainty that the try would have been scored ... especially since Cordner wasn't even in the in-goal at the time ...

if they allow this to set a precedent (which they would have to now) ... there are going to be a hell of a lot more penalty tries awarded.

those sorts of things happen every week in this game .. and it has never been a penalty try ... a penalty yes, a sin bin yes a penalty try ... **** no

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Quick question, @Super Freak can probably answer. Does the bunker have access to the commentary? They certainly seemed to be influenced in that penalty try decision.

There has never been any proof whether they do or not, but there have been some situations over the years that have suggested they do.

Calls that started to go one way until the commentators started saying differently and then suddenly the video ref goes the way of the commentators.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I’m not watching the game in the hopes that I might actually get a decent nights sleep but did Cordner have the ball in his hands and was in the act of putting it down? If not how can you conclusively say he would’ve scored the try?

cordner was about 10m away from the ball at the time

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015

He was 15metres from the ball. This is a NswRL fix.

Fire up boyz

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Twice the Bunker has overruled the on-field ref. And twice they screwed it up.

Deadset. There won't be a peep about it from the NRL, Gould's beloved bunker is perfect.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
There has never been any proof whether they do or not, but there have been some situations over the years that have suggested they do.

Calls that started to go one way until the commentators started saying differently and then suddenly the video ref goes the way of the commentators.
Then if true Gould is playing 4D chess.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Twice the Bunker has overruled the on-field ref. And twice they screwed it up.

Deadset. There won't be a peep about it from the NRL, Gould's beloved bunker is perfect.

he would be whinging about it for the next decade if the situation's were reversed ... especially if QLD had been awarded a penalty try in the same situation ...

**** i hope a penalty try goes against the Panthers next game in the exact same circumstances

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014

I remember a very controversial (read: wrong) decision last year, or perhaps the year before, where the video ref parroted back verbatim the exact nonsense the commentator had just said to justify the call.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
Fire up boys, penalty try or not maybe Hunt shouldn’t have shouldered him out of the way !

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
not even close to being the right call ...

there has to be absolute certainty before a penalty try can be awarded ... not "we reckon he would have got there"

it was definitely not an absolute certainty that the try would have been scored ... especially since Cordner wasn't even in the in-goal at the time ...

if they allow this to set a precedent (which they would have to now) ... there are going to be a hell of a lot more penalty tries awarded.

those sorts of things happen every week in this game .. and it has never been a penalty try ... a penalty yes, a sin bin yes a penalty try ... **** no

Chambers got it in the in goal , cordner was meters infront of him. He would've got it easy

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I have a feeling if we still had Smith or Cronk playing this game would already be over for NSW. I dont think Smith would have allowed the refs to give that penalty try for a start.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Dgc5GLFUcAAXnZq large

Unread

Active Now

• cento
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Dash
  • Justwin
  • pennywisealfie
  • broncoscope
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Alec
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.