State of Origin Game II - NSW vs QLD

Inglis was ordinary tonight
Might have to switch him up on Mitchell for his defence alone

Bit harsh I feel. Made the second most amount of metres and considering he was well marked made plenty of tough yardage to help get us out of our own end. Got involved as much as possible. My only critique of Inglis if I had to find one tonight is a few occasions he played with blinkers on as I feel there was a couple of times he had an arm free and was standing free in tackles with support around him which could have led to more opportunities but he could have been just playing it safe and not forcing the issue

Cleary didn't lose the game for his side with garbage, in fact, he made a crucial tackle to save it.

For every good thing Hunt does, he does two stupid things. That's his nature - some (most) see it, some don't.

One good thing for every two stupid? Mate, you need go self-medicate and lie down.

Hunt makes crucial tackles every game, particularly on his own line, but people forget that out of convenience. Cleary didn't do much of anything - if Hunt was that quiet people would have been tearing him a new one for not injecting himself in to the game.

Right now Hunt is our Pearce. He's the best we have, but because he's not an immortal, people want to throw him under the bus and pick whoever threw a nice pass two weeks earlier. DCE is the only replacement I could fathom, and even then I'd be wondering what it is that has the selectors so wary of him.

The full insanity is people advocating for Taylor with a straight face.

I agree with you in theory, but I still believe Cameron Smith doesn't owe QLD anything. Somehow I think Walters lies at the heart of the matter.

I think he owes QLD a little more than dropping out a few weeks before the first game though.

Cam Smith did what was best for Cam Smith. But I'd say it was also beneficial for Queensland. At the moment Smith wants as little media attention as possible. I guarantee if he were playing for Qld the NSWRL would have him in the headlines every single day, that'd be no good for our prep at all.

And yeah, I don't think a paper bag full of cash was involved. More along the lines of "step down or your dirty laundry gets aired". In fact, I'm positive, otherwise why would it not be out there already?

Last edited:
1. Slater
2. Holmes
3. Inglis
4. Gagai
5. Oates
6. Munster
7. Taylor
8. McGuire
9. Hunt
10. Napa
11. Sua
12. Kaufusi
13. Arrow
14. Ponga
15. Offa
16. Papalii
17. Hess

Ponga will have to play hooker 30-50 mins then come on in last 60 as lock. Isn’t ideal but Hunt can’t play 80. Don’t like Gagai at centre defensively but deserves one shot as seems to grow 5 feet taller in origins and we are desperately short on centres in next couple of years.

Isn’t a great team but gives us something to build on for next year.

Last edited:
One good thing for every two stupid? Mate, you need go self-medicate and lie down.

Hunt makes crucial tackles every game, particularly on his own line, but people forget that out of convenience. Cleary didn't do much of anything - if Hunt was that quiet people would have been tearing him a new one for not injecting himself in to the game.

Right now Hunt is our Pearce. He's the best we have, but because he's not an immortal, people want to throw him under the bus and pick whoever threw a nice pass two weeks earlier. DCE is the only replacement I could fathom, and even then I'd be wondering what it is that has the selectors so wary of him.

The full insanity is people advocating for Taylor with a straight face.

Yes Hunt's jump and fall off tackle on Mitchell was special.

Cleary played second fiddle, and did it well. A few good kicks, a few good tackles - nothing to cost his team the game at crucial times.

Hunt's defence was shit tonight, so don't try to play that card.

I said I'd rather DCE than Hunt, despite what a merkin he is. And that Taylor will be ready in a few years along with Milf.

And seriously, it's a one good thing to two dumb things ratio for Hunt. The dick head couldn't even relieve Macca at hooker without derping it up with his passes.

Hunt can be a good player, but like most of our halves, he needs to have the current Munster role. Not the Cronk role. Just complete freedom, and no expectations to organise or anything like that.

Cam Smith did what was best for Cam Smith. But I'd say it was also beneficial for Queensland. At the moment Smith wants as little media attention as possible. I guarantee if he were playing for Qld the NSWRL would have him in the headlines every single day, that'd be no good for our prep at all.

And yeah, I don't think a paper bag full of cash was involved. More along the lines of "step down or your dirty laundry gets aired". In fact, I'm positive, otherwise why would it not be out there already?

Game 3 2015 says hello.

I'm sure you are referring to something to do with his domestic situation, but it doesn't get much worse than being blamed for a callous response to paralysis. Agree about the best for Smith part though - not for QLD.

Not having Cam Smith is even worse for our prep.

The worst thing about Cam Smith retiring is him saying that he'd be letting us down if he played on. That's the biggest load of shit I've ever heard/read. Still the best player in the world by far, especially with Thurston declining.

I agree. Even if he feels he isn’t 100% anymore and can’t play to his absolute best, a 50% Cam Smith is better than a 100% McCullough, Granville and Friend. I still feel that excuse was a cop out. If he had of just come out and said, guys my body is wrecked and I’m mentally drained I’ve had enough, I think we would have accepted and dealt with the news a lot better.

Because coming out and saying he believes his form would let QLD down when he is still light years ahead of our next best option just opens Pandora’s box and allows the general public to criticise the late decision. What made it worse for me was seeing him come out after Origin 1 and absolutely putting the Broncos to the sword and looking like he hasn’t missed a beat. He could have at least maybe played Game 1 with McCullough on the bench to help the transition

Cleary didn't do much of anything - if Hunt was that quiet people would have been tearing him a new one for not injecting himself in to the game.

...and why are we even mentioning Cleary? Pretty sure he plays for NSW.

It tells me you're deflecting because you know/realising just how shit Ben Hunt is.....

DCE solves Queensland’s kicking in play and also improves our Goal Kicking position, which seems to have crept under the radar as a key part of why we lost tonight. If he’s not getting picked now then it can only be personal no matter what other excuses they give us.

Hess holds his spot simply because we don’t have other options for bigger bodies in the side, so he has to be retained.

Cooper likewise holds his spot because we aren’t getting Matt Gillett back until next year and we don’t have a better option on that edge currently. I wouldn’t be picking him again next year though, he offers very little without Thurston
Definition of insanity: trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? I get he pick and stick or development stratergies but none of those players fit those criteria. Dce has been tried before and failed miserably and isnt getting any younger, cooper is 31 and been terrible this year in origin and nrl and has also not given much ever in origin outside of jt making him look good, and hess may be young but he needs to learn the value of the queensland jersey...

One name i think falls before all of them though is hardly getting mentioned. Wallace! He has made about 70 metres in 2 games combined. He is an absolute powder puff at this level and dirties the name of webcke and ciovoniceva.

And just on replacements in the forwards... sua, thaiday, scott, glasby, welch, hipgrave and ffs even shaun lane have been in better form &/or have better runs on the board in origin.

I dont get how walters uses the loyalty card with these guys but not the ones who did it 20-30 times before to a much much higher standard. And why does he pick a 31 year old out of form player and many other 30 plus year olds yet goes on about the future? Why not just pick the special 30+ year olds and the bring in young guys for the rest. Dont do this half/half shit

I didnt even realize cleary played tonight. I wish i could say the same about hunt though....

I thought the exact thing about Cleary until i seen him make a run with a bit 15 minutes to go but he did his job whilst Maloney ran the show and in Cleary’s defense, made a great try saver and was a lot busier in those last 15 minutes when the game was on the line.

Notice who they're both receiving the ball out of dummy half from......?

They have received the ball from the same bloke in all their best games...

Macca isn't the best, he has his problems (slow, lack of vision) but he wasn't the problem tonight. And that has nothing to do with taking the line on when the chance is there.

Definition of insanity: trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? I get he pick and stick or development stratergies but none of those players fit those criteria. Dce has been tried before and failed miserably and isnt getting any younger, cooper is 31 and been terrible this year in origin and nrl and has also not given much ever in origin outside of jt making him look good, and hess may be young but he needs to learn the value of the queensland jersey...

One name i think falls before all of them though is hardly getting mentioned. Wallace! He has made about 70 metres in 2 games combined. He is an absolute powder puff at this level and dirties the name of webcke and ciovoniceva.

And just on replacements in the forwards... sua, thaiday, scott, glasby, welch, hipgrave and ffs even shaun lane have been in better form &/or have better runs on the board in origin.

I dont get how walters uses the loyalty card with these guys but not the ones who did it 20-30 times before to a much much higher standard. And why does he pick a 31 year old out of form player and many other 30 plus year olds yet goes on about the future? Why not just pick the special 30+ year olds and the bring in young guys for the rest. Dont do this half/half shit

I don't think Kev has full or even half (wink) autonomy.

We keep hearing about how he is over ruled at the selection panel. That said, I also don't think he's terribly bright.

I don't doubt his passion, though.

Unread

Active Now

• blacknwhite
  • Bucking Beads
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.