Tell me about junior Rugby League in your area

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I just got to thinking the other day about grass roots rugby league in Brisbane. My local club is (or will be, hopefully if my lad takes a liking to rugby league) Cannon Hill Stars.

I know nothing about the club. I walk their fields every now and then and see they have some mentions on the internet. I've googled them and found a few things through sportingpulse. It looks like a great little club that probably struggles to make ends meet (the club house looks in reasonable state of repair) but has a potentially massive market for players given the demographic of young families in the area, and its only going to grow with the BCC's River Gateway Strategic Plan. For example, there is 2 large primary schools that are literally within 200 metres (you can see from the fields)?

Every other business would kill to have its customers right on its door step.

What does the NRL do for local clubs in terms of promotion of junior rugby league? How are sign on days promoted? How is the club funded?

Perhaps my area might be jaded by the fact that Easts Carina and Easts are within a 5Km radius of my house and I understand they have massive teams and are well funded. Wynnum Leagues is also a massive club relatively close.

Questions then:

1. Do your kids (or you) play JRL in Brisbane? Where? What is your experience with coaches, referees, facilities? What is fundraising like?
2. If your kids don't play, why not?
3. Tell me about any other problems/insights/experiences with JRL in Brisbane.

Active Now

• Totally Unr3al
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Morkel
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • mystico
  • Browny
  • Redux
  • Battler
  • scobie
  • Harry Sack
  • Manofoneway
  • sooticus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Financeguy
  • lynx000
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.