PRE-GAME [THE BIG DANCE] BRISBANE BRONCOS Vs PENRITH PANTHERS - 2023 NRL GRAND FINAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
On Gee as ref (Taken from Reddit):

Since 2011, Brisbane have won 54.01% of games and 48.39% (15 - 0 - 16) under Gee. Penrith have won 59.79% of games since 2011 and 65.63% (21 - 0 - 11) of games under Gee.

Brisbane have a penalty ratio of 0.76 (98.5F 130A) under Gee and Penrith have a ratio of 1.08 (158.5F 146.5A).

He awards an average of 3.1 Penalties for Brisbane per game and 4.2 against

He awards and average of 5 Penalties for Penrith per game and 4.6 against

Stats point towards Penrith in both Winning percentage and penalties for.

Stats gotten from: afltables.com/rl/misc/Adam_Gee.html
Yep... biased useless **** of a ref... has Bradbury'd his way into a GF

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
It is absolutely outrageous that the idea that Gee gives advantage to the Panthers and disadvantage to the Broncos is even a talking point in the media. f**k this comp is a joke. If anything we should be sending a bouquet of flowers to NRL 360 for shining such a big spotlight on it tonight.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
FB IMG 1695722348685

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Everything points too haas, arey, walsh, herbie or carrigan winning MoM... but ffs tell me I'm crazy for feeling it in my bonnnneeess that staggs will have a career game on Sunday... on form and opposition tip sheet he would be near the bottom but ffs for some reason I just feel like he will pull out a HUGE performance.

Volvo Driver

Volvo Driver

QCup Player
Jul 9, 2020
Alrighty, time for the official head-to-head:

1. Walsh (Broncos) - Totally different fullbacks, totally different but Walsh brings an X factor no other fullback comes close to at present
2. To'o (Panthers) - He has the runs on the board and is an absolute gun, best winger on the field
3. Crichton (Panthers) - He has levelled up this year and will be wanting to go out of Penrith on a high and we need to be on high alert about his intercept ability
4. Farnworth (Broncos) - He is right up there as best centre in the world, absolute gun and if he and Staggs swap a few times, Tago is in trouble
5. Cobbo (Broncos) - He is a more rocks and diamonds than any other winger out there but his diamonds are amazingly good, if we get good Cobbo and I think we will, he could be a game changer
6. Luai (Panthers) - I'm really tempted to have Mam here because I can't stand Luai and he is injured but I'm trying to be objective and Luai has the runs on the board
7. Cleary (Panthers) - Again, I love what Reynolds offers and I believe he is the one halfback that can truly challenge Penrith but Cleary is an absolute gun and so far above any other halfback in his age group it isn't funny
8. Fisher-Harris (Panthers) - I am basing this on reputation and trying to be objective but I think Flegler is a lot closer here now than he was even 12 months ago, Brisbane will be trying to knock him on his butt on his very first run to make a statement
9. Walters (Broncos) - Extremely underrated player, top 5 hooker this year and takes such good advantage of being underrated
10. Haas (Broncos) - Best prop in the game and by some distance, obliterated AFB and Barnett last week and will do the same this week, he will go down in folklore
11. Martin (Panthers) - He is grubby and basically the only NSW origin forward who can hold his own against Qld, extremely good player and Brissy will have to watch him, he is a gun
12. Riki (Broncos) - He has levelled up this year and his kick chase pressure is something to behold and has re-found his attacking mojo in recent times, is a weapon
13. Carrigan (Broncos) - Look I am really trying to be unbiased and Yeo is a gun, no two ways about it but Carrigan is just better and a proven big game performer on the origin and international stage

14. Smith (Panthers) - He has been fantastic for the Panthers off the bench and helps them keep their roll on, we will have to watch him closely
15. Leniu (Panthers) - I am genuinely worried about him from the bench as he has the ability to keep the momentum going from the starting middles, Hetherington needs to hit him hard again and again
16. Hetherington (Broncos) - The defensive starch he brings is an underrated weapon by anyone who isn't a Broncos' fan and keeps it tight in the middle until the big three come back, I am expecting him to have a big game
17. Palasia (Broncos) - Our answer to Leniu basically and we need him to do what he has been doing all season and keep the metres ticking over while Haas / Flegs get a break, if he does that, it will go a long way toward us winning

9-8 to Broncos but honestly, they have some holes that we can exploit. In every single position, seriously it is a coin flip, this will be so good.
Nice analysis and agree with Crichton, the guy loves an intercept. He'll be eyeing Walsh's passes but unlike DWZ he's actually smart so won't fall for the same thing over and over. Do not want to see that guy running down the field after an intercept ala GF '21

Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
I'd love to have an insight into the Preparation going on inside our camp at the moment and what game plans are been formulated. It would be a very fine line between overdoing it and frying their brains and underdoing it and looking silly.

On one hand you would want to keep the routine the same as you've done all year because its worked all year. Spend all day everyday analysing the game and talking up the "the big dace" then come Sunday they will have played the game a million time before kick off and come out flat. There is the real risk you just confuse them and ruin our system with too much new info and changes

On the other hand, this is the final game and biggest of the season so you really do need to give it some extra attention. Realistically the extra media attention and grand final breaky and general grand final week itself is probably enough to get their heads in the game without spending hours discussing it at training. But if you identify a weakness in our system which you've let slide all year, do you risk trying to fix it now?

BIily Slaters comments about the changes they made to their defensive system to beat the dogs in the grand final were fascinating. He basically said they won that game in the meeting room with the change lf tactics. Its a real fine line because it could be a master stroke or it could go incredibly wrong.

For mine, i would be giving them just a handfull of key messages. Maybe spend 10 minutes with each player and give them a job to do on their opposite number. Look at something on the video with them that stands out and thats what i want you to concentrate on. Apart from that the message is make cleary work in defence. And every play is done at 200%. Everything you do for the 80 minutes needs to be at the highest intensity they've ever done it at.

I think the coaching staff are the ones who should be the up every night analysing videos arming themselves with the tools to change things if required. The coaching staff shown they have the ability to change game plans in the storm game. I'm hoping they have plan A through to Z mapped out to account for anything the panthers might throw at us ready to pull the trigger if they think necessarily.

Just finally I've seen Darius in alot of team shots lately and he's been apart of the coaching staff all year. I know he used to be a real student of the game and have a football brain. I wonder if he's a bit of a tactician for us and plays apart in setting our game plans? Almost playing the role i always hoped lockyer would play for us.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I've been thinking...Melbourne really intrigued me last week and kind of confirmed what Parra do well against Penrith - attack from long range and offload everywhere...is it a coincidence that this has become our strength? Kevvie has been saying for a long time Penrith is the pinnacle...I wonder of our side's strengths have been tailored specifically to deal with this team. Just a thought.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Ok time for my traditional superstitious negative forecast:

Watching the Matty johns podcast and Cooper was making comparisons to the 2006 storm and 23 us - a team of upcoming superstars with speed, talent, and swagger - and how they didn’t know how to match up against the wiser more battle hardened broncos team who’d been there before.

This is a genuine fear - the inexperience vs experience is going to be too much for us to overcome. Cleary to control the game completely and Walsh to start getting panicky and try too hard. A Patty offload to get intercepted by Kenny for the first try.

———
You’re welcome everybody.
Nervous Anxiety GIF by NBC

Shocked Dog GIF by Scooby-Doo

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
BIily Slaters comments about the changes they made to their defensive system to beat the dogs in the grand final were fascinating. He basically said they won that game in the meeting room with the change lf tactics. Its a real fine line because it could be a master stroke or it could go incredibly wrong.
Keary touched on this on 360. Essentially said that it's possible to do (formulate and execute a specific plan against a specific structure), but you need a pretty high IQ team to do it.

I guess it's really what the coaching staff think the players will react to best. That's probably one of Kevvies strengths - knowing the players (what Seibold essentially failed at). I think for some players like Reynolds, Capewell, Carrigan, etc it might work. But for other players (like Cobbo) it should be kept simple.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
I've been thinking...Melbourne really intrigued me last week and kind of confirmed what Parra do well against Penrith - attack from long range and offload everywhere...is it a coincidence that this has become our strength? Kevvie has been saying for a long time Penrith is the pinnacle...I wonder of our side's strengths have been tailored specifically to deal with this team. Just a thought.
Maybe a little, but also these are just inevitable traits of becoming a good team. Offloading everywhere is probably the best plan to combat any well structured defence like the Panthers have, and has been so forever (it seems that Parra is the only other team to figure this out).

I'm most excited to see what trick shots we play aganst Penrith. We've seen some glimpses this year (trick scrum plays, really early kicks to Cobbo, etc.), but hopefully we've been saving them up for the grand final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • The Strapper
  • Morkel
  • Manofoneway
  • Skyblues87
  • Seibs
  • Lurker
  • Big Del
  • RolledOates
  • Volvo Driver
  • Totally Unr3al
  • FACTHUNT
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • kman
  • ChewThePhatt
  • TimWhatley
  • Mr Fourex
  • levikaden
  • theshed
  • Allo
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.