The Hoffman Dilemma

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Re: The right to bag the Broncos halves

I'm not sure what's stopping Hoffman from passing it.
He has it in him but rarely displays it. Reed and Norman both struggled with it and they are doing alright now.
Maybe he still lacks the confidence and maybe it was coached out of him as well.
I would still like to see Hoffman get another crack at fullback

No.....I'd rather Kahu is slowly brought in as our next fullback. Hoffman is a winger....end of/

Regarding what you say re: players like Hoffman and Norman etc etc following Griffins game plan. Everyone loves to bag Norman for his non-passing abilities last year. I firmly believe he was following the coaches game plan which was basically, if in doubt.....back yourself.

Last edited:
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
hoffmans going good as a winger. keep him there.

T

tkday

Banned User
Mar 10, 2010
I really think if we can't sign a fullback he will be playing in that position next year, we have no-one else who can play there. Not unless Kahu gets a lot of game time this year.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If we don't sign anyone, I fully expect Hoffman to be our fullback next year. I mean, at the moment they are supposedly only playing him on the wing to make room for all 3 of Wallace, Prince and Norman in the side. As for Kahu, I'd like to see how he goes there too, but the Broncos seem set on making him a centre. I'd like to see Bond get a chance too, but that's just not going to happen. Hoffman is definitely the most likely next year, and hopefully he'll spend a lot of time practicing the 2nd man play.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Does anyone remember back in 2011 offseason there was at least one mention in the media of Hoffman being a potential candidate for the 6 jersey...
Here it is:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-26/broncos-lock-up-young-guns/3601612

Brisbane's 2010 player of the year Josh Hoffman wants to replicate Darren Lockyer's bold positional shift from full-back to five-eighth next season to replace the club's retiring legend in the number six jumper.
Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin is tossing up between young guns Corey Norman (20) and Ben Hunt (21) as Lockyer's likely successor next season.
But Hoffman, 23, revealed his adventurous 2012 goal after he and 21-year-old Josh McGuire extended their contracts with the club through to 2015.
A knee injury ended Hoffman's 2011 season before the finals, allowing another young talent, Gerard Beale, to shine in the number one jumper in his absence.
Lockyer was the best full-back in the world when Wayne Bennett defied critics in 2004 and moved him to five-eighth.
A confident Hoffman, who played most of his junior football at five-eighth, believes he can repeat Lockyer's career move if given a shot in the trials.
"Darren did it when he was playing full-back and went through to play the rest of his career there," Hoffman said.
"It'd be a lot of pressure, they're definitely big shoes to fill, but I'd love the chance."
Hoffman said Griffin had recently spoken to him about how he could improve next year.
"Hopefully I gave him a little hint about what I want to do," he said when asked about auditioning for Lockyer's job.
"I'd love to get Locky's spot. Hopefully I'll get a trial game at five-eighth and get a feel for it.
"I grew up playing five-eighth. I love playing there but that was never a chance with Lockyer there.
"Now the door is open, some of us young guys can get in there and showcase our talents and hopefully that's what I can do next year."

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Somehow i can't really see him making that transition.

As has been stated earlier, his main strength seems to be his running game.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If Karmichael Hunt struggled in the halves, Hoffman definitely has no chance.

simmo77

simmo77

QCup Player
Aug 3, 2009
Hoffy has to stick to the wing. If he was a QLDer I'm sure off his current form he would be an SOO bolter over Boyd.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
The wing is Hoffman's best position there is no doubt about it. He has been great for us on the wing this year.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
How did he grow up a five eight? He never even looks to pass it!

Big Dave

Big Dave

Banned User
Feb 27, 2013
I think Hoffman is telling porkies. Every time I saw him played back in day in Mackay.. he always played fullback

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Justwin
  • Lozza
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • BroncoFan94
  • Dash
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.