Top 5 GOAT - Teams

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Following on from the other GOAT thread, I thought a discussion on the Greatest of All Time Teams would be interesting:

1. St George 1960s

Simply demand to be there for the fact that no club will ever win 12 premierships in a row. The names, Gasnier, Raper, Provan, Langlands - I never saw them play but are icons of the game.

2. Qld SOO 2007-current

The current dynasty of State of Origin success won't be matched in my lifetime. In professional sport it is unheard of for such an incredible feat to be achieved on the biggest stage.

3. Broncos 1992/93

The entertainers. The team that made me love Rugby League and the Broncos.

Still have no idea how Brad Mackay got the Clive Churchill medal in 93 (perhaps John Quale, Reg Gasnier and Johnny Raper might have had something to do with that)

I've never seen a team since that is willing to throw the ball around and play such entertaining footy. Maybe Tigers 05 or the Qld Reds 2011 come close to just balls to the wall confidence footy.

4. Melbourne Storm 2007 - 2012

Controversy aside, Bellamy, Slater, Cronk and Smith are the greatest combination at club level and have dominated the NRL for the past 10 years.

5. Canberra Raiders '94

My second favourite team growing up. The Broncos' arch-nemesis, the Rugby League world was robbed by Jason Taylor's boot of a a Broncos v Raiders showdown

No order apart from this one:

1. QLD State of Origin 2006-2012

- Brisbane Broncos 1998
- Brisbane Broncos 1992-1993
- Melbourne Storm 2006-2012
- either Manly of the mid-late 90s or Canberra of the early-mid 90s.

yeh for sure - the 98 team was as good as a team as you can get. they were simply better than the rest of the teams in the NRL. we had the best fullback (lockyer), centres (renouf, smith), winger (sailor), halfback (langer), prop (webcke), second rowers (tallis, thorn), lock (carroll), and a handy sub or 2 (Hancock,Civoniceva). no other team came close.

in 92/93 the broncos played better as a team to win it, whereas in 98 they were just better to begin with as well. a team of superstars, and a superstar team.

Last edited:
They were actually probably a team full of more superstars. 92/93 seemed to be more "before they were stars" maybe but I get more nostaligic about - like Allan "Cann left foot step"?

Agreed I still love the try he scored against the Dogs in the 1993 Preliminary Final, an amazing display of footwork for a forward of his size. TBH I don't think there are too many sides in the modern era that have come close to amazing me as the Raiders and Broncos did in the late 80's to the late 90s, I loved every part of their game especially how open they were prepared to play with the ball. Storm definitely set the standard today as professional sides go, but I still think they lack that aura about them that the Broncos and Raiders had.

1. Brisbane Broncos 1992 - 1998
2. Canberra Raiders 1989 - 1994
3. Queensland 1987-1989 (taking nothing away from the current side, but I just think this squad achieved more under tougher circumstances)
4. Melbourne Storm 2006-2012 (good side on the field, wont go elsewhere)
5. Queensland 2006-2012

I don't think we'll fully realise just how good this QLD Origin team is until we lose a few (hopefully not anytime soon).

My top 5 in no particular order

1. Brisbane Broncos 1992-2000. 1998 being the standout I would shit myself if I was going to play that
2. QLD 2010. All of the QLD teams since the run began have been great but I consider 2010 to stand out amongst the others.
3. ST George Dragons 1956-1966
4. Canberra Raiders 1989-1994
5. NSW 2003-2005

Special mention to the Roosters sides of the mid 70's. Salary cap breaches prevent Melbourne of 2006-2009 and Canterbury of 2002 making the list.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.