MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Do you think Bennett would even be thinking about leaving if the club hadn't totally stuffed up the whole saga?

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Might be better if you watch the vision. Hodgo was pretty much completely on board with Tallis' sentiments and fully supported everything that he was saying.

I reckon there's a ruthlessness to hodgo where he'll say it as he feels and believes. He called for Thaiday to be dropped from origin iirc. Not much bala loyalty there

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Do you think Bennett would even be thinking about leaving if the club hadn't totally stuffed up the whole saga?

Stuffed up how? His end date on this contract was always 2019. Paul White has consistently said that he will be the coach next year. They have simply not agreed to the extension that Bennett wants and have started to try and locate his replacement.

And yes, I think Bennett would be thinking about leaving the club if he perceived that his interests were better served elsewhere. It is consistently what he has done the entirety of his career.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
But there is no evidence that Bennett will be leaving the club next year, literally the only person saying it is Tallis and how the **** would he know?

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
But there is no evidence that Bennett will be leaving the club next year, literally the only person saying it is Tallis and how the **** would he know?

I would have to go back and look at it again, but my recollection was that it was phrased that if he does?

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Lets be rational here:

1) White and HQ have said that WB will be there until 2019
2) White and HQ have expressed interest in another coach after 2019.
3) WB says he wants an extension, but has been rejected, confirmed?

I am yet to see where anyone has said WB is leaving this year, nor that his position is on the line to be sacked end of this year. Why all the drama? WB has a contract until end of 2019, unless they nab Siebold and WB finds another club to coach nothing will change. There are no coaches viable off the market end of this season.

The only issue i see is that White/Board need to clarify what role WB could have post 2019, such as football manager role, however this would tie a nose around their neck to find a coach publically. People are ripping the board and WB for handling it poorly, yet there is not much more they could have done considering the circumstances.

When you have journo's alluding to fake information and suspicions, writing it, beating it up then deep frying it to try and make a story it creates a wave of talk that almost doesn't exist! Chinese whispers on speed 100.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The other issue to me is that Bennett hasn't put an end date on his career. He says 2-3 more years, which gets him to the end of 2020-2021, but what if we get there and he wants another extension??

What if he gets halfway through next year and decides he's had enough and calls it quits??

What if he gets halfway through next year and realises he's gone one year too long but perseveres through to the end of his contract despite not being up to it??

In the bulk of those scenarios the risk is too great that the broncos will be left scrambling for a new coach so they have put a line in the sand themselves.

I wonder if back in 2016/2017 when the extension was tabled if there were any discussions about retirement or a succession plan... maybe it's been the case all along, but now Bennett wants another extension.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
The other issue to me is that Bennett hasn't put an end date on his career. He says 2-3 more years, which gets him to the end of 2020-2021, but what if we get there and he wants another extension??

What if he gets halfway through next year and decides he's had enough and calls it quits??

What if he gets halfway through next year and realises he's gone one year too long but perseveres through to the end of his contract despite not being up to it??

In the bulk of those scenarios the risk is too great that the broncos will be left scrambling for a new coach so they have put a line in the sand themselves.

I wonder if back in 2016/2017 when the extension was tabled if there were any discussions about retirement or a succession plan... maybe it's been the case all along, but now Bennett wants another extension.

Well there's two things. The first is that broncos have outlined they want another coach in the future, so the line is in the sand. The other is that WB would not be walking out mid season or contract unless something dramatic was to occur.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

You would think there would have been talks of a succession plan, especially after the Henjak mess.

I think they did, and it was Kevvie, but it didn't work out due to some unknown reason. What irritates me is that it appears they didn't have a back up plan and are now scrambling to find a coach.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Is there some evidence that WB is actively trying to hurt the Broncos ? Is there some evidence WB hasn't accepted the situation as it stands ?

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Tallis is making bullshit assertions without evidence. How would that blitherer know with absolute certainty that WB would go elsewhere next year if opportunity presented? How does he know, again with certainty that WB has 'put feelers out'? Which action constitutes WB 'throwing his toys out the cot'? Does anybody like being rejected? If no then why is Tallis making it seem that it is somehow wrong or abnormal for WB not to enjoy it either? Does he believe WB thought the players WB tapped during his career enjoyed being told they were no longer required?

I want Tallis to provide evidence that WB will definitely leave, that he is acting in a manner contrary to the good health of the club he built. I want evidence that WB is dismantling the Broncos, put up Tallis or shut the **** up Tallis . Don't think for a moment I'd lack the courage to say it to the bald ***** face and I turn 60 in a couple days time. I've been beaten up by much weaker guys than Tallis!

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
Gordo hates Bennett, doesn't even try and hide it. He would say anything he can to white-ant the situation.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Tallis is making bullshit assertions without evidence. How would that blitherer know with absolute certainty that WB would go elsewhere next year if opportunity presented? How does he know, again with certainty that WB has 'put feelers out'? Which action constitutes WB 'throwing his toys out the cot'? Does anybody like being rejected? If no then why is Tallis making it seem that it is somehow wrong or abnormal for WB not to enjoy it either? Does he believe WB thought the players WB tapped during his career enjoyed being told they were no longer required?

I want Tallis to provide evidence that WB will definitely leave, that he is acting in a manner contrary to the good health of the club he built. I want evidence that WB is dismantling the Broncos, put up Tallis or shut the **** up Tallis . Don't think for a moment I'd lack the courage to say it to the bald ***** face and I turn 60 in a couple days time. I've been beaten up by much weaker guys than Tallis!

Look out, Rocky VI is about :D

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008

I'm pretty sure Bennett is on record as saying he wants to coach on after 2019, and if anybody offers him a gig for 2019 and beyond, he would consider leaving Brisbane.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I'm pretty sure Bennett is on record as saying he wants to coach on after 2019, and if anybody offers him a gig for 2019 and beyond, he would consider leaving Brisbane.

I think I recall the same, and I don't have a problem with it

I don't want it to happen, but if it does happen it isn't Wayne throwing a tantrum, it's simply Wayne looking after himself

If he wants a 3 year job and the Broncos are offering 1, and someone else offers him the 3 he wants, of course he is going to take it

I might not like it but I ain't gonna blame him for it either

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
That's not the same as saying he'd leave, he'd dismantle the place, he'd not care about us. It's him, very reasonably saying he'd consider his options just the same as anyone else would do and would be entitled to do.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Well there's two things. The first is that broncos have outlined they want another coach in the future, so the line is in the sand.
Have they said they want a new coach though??

All I've heard is they're not discussing coaching in 2020 until the end of the year, which to me is fair enough as I pointed out in my scenarios.

The other is that WB would not be walking out mid season or contract unless something dramatic was to occur.
If you're referring to my 2nd paragraph that would be a scenario where broncos agree to his extension for 2020, but Bennett realises he has had enough of coaching and would retire at the end of the year... leaving broncos without a coach for 2020 and having to scramble for anything available.

Bennett said in his interview before his 800th game that he will know himself when he's had enough when the passion is gone... at the moment it hasn't but it could hit at any point.

That wouldn't instill a whole lot of confidence in the broncos power brokers, knowing his retirement could hit at any time.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Have they said they want a new coach though??

All I've heard is they're not discussing coaching in 2020 until the end of the year, which to me is fair enough as I pointed out in my scenarios.

If you're referring to my 2nd paragraph that would be a scenario where broncos agree to his extension for 2020, but Bennett realises he has had enough of coaching and would retire at the end of the year... leaving broncos without a coach for 2020 and having to scramble for anything available.

Bennett said in his interview before his 800th game that he will know himself when he's had enough when the passion is gone... at the moment it hasn't but it could hit at any point.

That wouldn't instill a whole lot of confidence in the broncos power brokers, knowing his retirement could hit at any time.
Well, isn't that true of anybody in any position? I've heard players say they'll know when they stop enjoying the game that's it's time but not now, I'm still enjoying it. That wouldn't stop someone considering buying a player to fill a position.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skathen
  • john1420
  • BRC088
  • broncsgoat
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Cavalo
  • mieko
  • Brocko
  • Strop
  • Allo
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • Lozza
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.