MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
To Maguire's credit though, even though he may have had a better squad at his disposal, he still had to deal with the external pressure of Souths not having won a premiership for all those years. Those rabbits fans are pretty rabid lol. I still think he's the best man for us and hope he gets the gig.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
2014 had Inglis in superb form at fullback, obviously Keary in the halves. Better/more experienced backs in Dylan Walker, Johnston on the wing, Lote Tuqiri. Sam Burgess in the best form of his career, and Ben Te'o too (he made a huge difference in 2014).
Fair enough you use te’o and walker as examples but you cant use players in better form as an example of the squad being better for that coach. A coaches job is to get and keep them in form, so its more an argument FOR maguire them against him tbh. Tuqiri in his last year too lol.. he was serviceable at best... and crichton isnt better then te’o but certainly isnt a big downgrade. Damien cook is better or at least equal to Luke in their primes though. Luke was great but cooks year has been unreal...

Bw, id prefer seibold. But more because of maguires last couple of seasons showing a distinct unwillingness to make changes to style/tactics when they arent working. His record in his 1st 3 years was remakable...

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
Their entire top 30 would have a collective IQ in the hundreds. Their spine contains some of the biggest peanuts I've seen.

It will the same at Parra or the Tigs for Wayne: he won't have the cattle to make the 4, and therefore won't be able to win the comp. His best choice is Penrith, but that won't happen.

EDIT: Again, I don't see the point of him coaching at another club that has close to zero percent chance of winning the prem, which is what he'd want to do before he retires. His best chance is next year with the Broncos. If I was advising him I'd tell him to go to England in 2020 and win an ESL title or something, because his NRL prospects are bleak.
Tigers do not have a bad squad, same with parra (evidence being 2017 result). The tigers have a good forward pack and some x factor throughout it, reasonable depth.

Talked to a couple of tigers fans today, couldnt believe they were sad they would get bennett in place of cleary haha... cleary surely has to be the most over rated coach in the nrl at the moment and bennett may be old but for a club like the tigers its an absolute dream recruitment.

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
The board is too dysfunctional for Wayne imo. Those ***** cant even run a chook raffle without there being some sort of controversy, and in fighting.
Just seen interview with Karl Morris on ch9. Wouldn't answer any questions re WB. Dobbo said he spoke with WB today re Tigers. WB said the only way he won't be coaching Broncos next season will be if sacked. WB will be making a statement at presso night tomoz.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
To Maguire's credit though, even though he may have had a better squad at his disposal, he still had to deal with the external pressure of Souths not having won a premiership for all those years. Those rabbits fans are pretty rabid lol. I still think he's the best man for us and hope he gets the gig.
I think there's a bit of comparing apples and oranges going on here though.

The 2014 team was a grand final winning team that Maguire molded to be his own over his first three years.

Comparing his best team to Siebold's first will obviously favour the team that dominated the comp that year.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Tigers do not have a bad squad, same with parra (evidence being 2017 result). The tigers have a good forward pack and some x factor throughout it, reasonable depth.

Talked to a couple of tigers fans today, couldnt believe they were sad they would get bennett in place of cleary haha... cleary surely has to be the most over rated coach in the nrl at the moment and bennett may be old but for a club like the tigers its an absolute dream recruitment.

The tigs don't have a bad squad, but they are extremely overrated. Their pack is especially good, and will be even better when they add in Matto (can't believe the rorters let him go). There's just something off about them, namely Mbye and Reynolds who are two of the biggest ball hogs in the comp and are locks for their spine. They had a resurgence later in the season in 2018 because of Farah, but he's old as **** so they'd need a dream run with him in form and uninjured to do anything IMO.

The eels don't really have the talent. In 2017 they caught lightning in a bottle and Moses and Hayne let it out in 2018. There's too many cooks in the kitchen, and those cooks aren't very good at their jobs. With Lane and Paulo there they might go OK, I wouldn't be betting on it though.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Just seen interview with Karl Morris on ch9. Wouldn't answer any questions re WB. Dobbo said he spoke with WB today re Tigers. WB said the only way he won't be coaching Broncos next season will be if sacked. WB will be making a statement at presso night tomoz.

Nek minnit, he sacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Never been fined once? What’s your source. My source is a ground manager that had the unpleasant experience of having to deal with them on three occasions this year. Last occasion involved QRL head of operations confronting Jets CEO regarding their antics again resulting in a breech notice. You are quite correct the Jets cannot afford these breech notices and that was the point of my post together with no we don't want he Walkers.

15k a week over 26 weeks nearly 400k. Really?

You think the QRL fined the Jets 400k this year?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

I've googled fines for them, and found nothing, and I've asked a couple of people who I reckon would probably know, and they are unaware of anything.

They could well be obnoxious, rude individuals, but I can't see any fines for them.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
They are kind of flogs, but then again I haven't had any encounters with them since their playing days so perhaps they have changed.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017

I am acutely aware of what happened At some matches but not privey to all matches. Perhaps they were angels and only played up At some, not. No I don't believe the Jets were fined $400k but on what basis are you saying they were never fined. Because you couldn’t find it on google?

As I said before those in the know will know and I am more than happy for you to go through life thinking otherwise. Goodnight.

Last edited:
Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I am acutely aware of what happened on his watch but not privey to any other matches. Perhaps they were angels and only played up under his control, not. No I don't believe the Jets were fined $400k but on what basis are you saying they were never fined. Because you couldn’t find it on google?

As I said before those in the know will know and I am more than happy for you to go through life thinking otherwise. Goodnight.

I'm not one to jump to 1910's defence much, but, yeah, needless to say, he's one of those guys who would be "in the know" that you keep referring to.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I am acutely aware of what happened on his watch but not privey to any other matches. Perhaps they were angels and only played up under his control, not. No I don't believe the Jets were fined $400k but on what basis are you saying they were never fined. Because you couldn’t find it on google?

Tbf mate, i think any fine, especially for some of the behaviour you said would have been fairly easy to find somewhere online unless it was a matter kept in house by Ipswich.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
I'm not one to jump to 1910's defence much, but, yeah, needless to say, he's one of those guys who would be "in the know" that you keep referring to.
So am I in this instance and with all due respect to all concerned I will finish the conversation there.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Tbf mate, i think any fine, especially for some of the behaviour you said would have been fairly easy to find somewhere online unless it was a matter kept in house by Ipswich.
There is some confidentiality with QRL ground reports and their contents. I’ll leave it at that.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
There is some confidentiality with QRL ground reports and their contents. I’ll leave it at that.

I dont doubt they could quite possibly have stepped over the mark with some things, but i dont think personally they have copped a fine from the QRL. The breech notice from the QRL you said, absolutely i can see that, but that isnt necessarily a fine. Ipswich themselves could have done something, that wouldn't surprise me one bit. I'm fairly sure though if it was serious enough to fine them, it would be made public.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.