MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Smith in a heartbeat. Lockyer is almost every bit as good but Smith playing the position he does, does not need anyone else. He sets up every set, he is the master puppeteer, he starts EVERYTHING and coaches those around him as well.

The fact that as a Qlder, he is a Storm legend will always irk me.

Locky was the best FB of all time (deal with it Slater fanboys) and the best 5/8, but I agree purely because of how involved the hooking position is.

If you need to win a game from the first minute Smith is the man, if you're in deep trouble with 10 minutes to go and need magic and a cool hand Locky reigns supreme.

Locky was the best FB of all time (deal with it Slater fanboys) and the best 5/8, but I agree purely because of how involved the hooking position is.

If you need to win a game from the first minute Smith is the man, if you're in deep trouble with 10 minutes to go and need magic and a cool hand Locky reigns supreme.

And we have Macca for another 4 years. Sigh.

Agree with everything except Lewis was best 5/8. He’s could control a game behind a beaten pack in his peak. Never seen anyone else do that consistently.

Smith is not better but agree when u touch the ball every tackle, make 40 tackles holding the centre defence and control the calls then bigger influence. Which also goes back to Macca discussion re how important a dominant hooker is compared to a plodder who works hard but does none of those things that well (even in defence while he makes tackles with low missed rates he usually just lets them fall over him as opposed to controlling the ruck like Smith does).

Can see Wayne getting an offer to coach elsewhere next year on and he will up and leave the way he has been talking about it since the Bellamy Shitstorm

It irks me that as far as I know of he hasn’t really helped the Qld side move on with out him. I was hoping he’d be in camp with Macca.

He was in camp with Macca a bit, I'm sure I remember quotes and articles and shit. Obviously probably not fulltime, since he retired for a reason I guess.

He was in camp with Macca a bit, I'm sure I remember quotes and articles and shit. Obviously probably not fulltime, since he retired for a reason I guess.
He spent one day with the team. His wife wouldn't let him go until they were in Melbourne because of the cheating drama

1. Slater
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
9. Smith

There is a reason why that Qld team was so freakishly successful.

Throw in these guys:

3. Inglis
4. Hodges

8. Scott
10. Civoniceva

12. Thaiday
13. Parker

What a side!

1. Slater
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
9. Smith

There is a reason why that Qld team was so freakishly successful.

Throw in these guys:

3. Inglis
4. Hodges

8. Scott
10. Civoniceva

12. Thaiday
13. Parker

What a side!

Folau on the wing, then yow yeh coming in too. Boyd on Inglis’ outside. Wowsers those were good times.

They went public with workplace concerns that should be discussed behind closed doors.

Because they have said they don't want Bennett to go? If that's all you are talking about it's stretching it to say they were talking out of line. If it's not, I must have missed it so I'd appreciate it if you could show me what I missed.

I am amazed every time a discussion about the best fullback of all time comes up and lockyers name isnt mentioned. Lockyer doesnt move to 5/8th slater gets nowhere near the queensland jersey, even k hunt was in front of slater originally but got benched due to having more versatillaty then slater. People forget how gppd he was there because he was also so good at 5/8th.

People go on about slater re-defining fullback but Lockyer took ball playing from the back to a new level. His last line defence was also unreal at time. Similar to rts now, held up players when you thought he was no chance. From his first game to his last at fullback he was the best fullback bar none. Minichello was a distaaaaant second even in his peak. B stewart, k hunt, and now rts and tedesco have never gotten the top spot but have all challenged slater for his title at certain periods. The storm got to a gf without him, broncos wouldnt have made the 2nd week of finals without lockyer...

You have to remember that what we are told by the media, and lead to believe by the media, is mostly made up to sell papers.

The club hasn’t forced Wayne out, they haven’t shafted him and they haven’t kept him in the dark. The whole process is open, transparent and amicable. There is input from all parties moving forward, and I seriously doubt Wayne coaches on at another NRL club, beyond his current contract.

You have to remember that what we are told by the media, and lead to believe by the media, is mostly made up to sell papers.

The club hasn’t forced Wayne out, they haven’t shafted him and they haven’t kept him in the dark. The whole process is open, transparent and amicable. There is input from all parties moving forward, and I seriously doubt Wayne coaches on at another NRL club, beyond his current contract.

Any chance he takes up that front office role? I think that's the best case scenario for all involved.

Last edited:
I am amazed every time a discussion about the best fullback of all time comes up and lockyers name isnt mentioned. Lockyer doesnt move to 5/8th slater gets nowhere near the queensland jersey, even k hunt was in front of slater originally but got benched due to having more versatillaty then slater. People forget how gppd he was there because he was also so good at 5/8th.

People go on about slater re-defining fullback but Lockyer took ball playing from the back to a new level. His last line defence was also unreal at time. Similar to rts now, held up players when you thought he was no chance. From his first game to his last at fullback he was the best fullback bar none. Minichello was a distaaaaant second even in his peak. B stewart, k hunt, and now rts and tedesco have never gotten the top spot but have all challenged slater for his title at certain periods. The storm got to a gf without him, broncos wouldnt have made the 2nd week of finals without lockyer...

From what I remember, wasn’t Lockyer’s one weakness his last line defence?

That still doesn't mean things haven't been handled poorly, which imo they have. I'd also say not all aspects have been handled amicably. If we had any sense a lot more of this whole situation would have been handled in house.

Months ago Wayne was told publicly his contact for 2019 would be honoured, it would not be extended and a review would happen at the end of the season. So what is the problem. He wasn't turfed out disrespectfully. That happened to Griffin. Let’s accept it and get on with it.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.