What's Happened? Why the massive turnaround?

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Maybe I know nothing about footy, maybe it's just taking a step back and not having the emotional investment of being a season member this year..

It just feels like we'll win against lesser sides and go toe to toe with the best - the new recruits, fitness and defence are encouraging.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Barely anybody has started beating their chests over the opening three weeks.

Without getting into it, others were ready to draw conclusions from trial games. HECK, some were trying to draw conclusions from a modified version of the game.

There are positive signs in their play and while a lot of people have no problem picking out faults, it'd be nice to see some of the positives celebrated for once.

the broncos had been a consistently poor side since about the middle of 2012 and right through 2013 .. so when folks saw the same tell-tale characteristics that made the broncos a poor side for the past 18 months in the first couple of trial games this year (listless, stale, impotent attack and soft defence) they were more than entitled to be jumping up and down.

Since then, things have turned around in a few areas but that's only been the case for three weeks .. Ray Charles can see the signs have been positive in a lot of respects thus far but a side that's been poor for a season and a half needs to prove itself for a little longer than three games to have truly turned a corner.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
the broncos had been a consistently poor side since about the middle of 2012 and right through 2013 .. so when folks saw the same tell-tale characteristics that made the broncos a poor side for the past 18 months in the first couple of trial games this year (listless, stale, impotent attack and soft defence) they were more than entitled to be jumping up and down.

Since then, things have turned around in a few areas but that's only been the case for three weeks .. Ray Charles can see the signs have been positive in a lot of respects thus far but a side that's been poor for a season and a half needs to prove itself for a little longer than three games to have truly turned a corner.

truth!

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
There is a fair point there somewhere about past form coming into it but to use that line to justify the amount of criticism being directed at the club around a month ago for a trial was silly. Especially from these so called 'experienced' fans who should realise that trials mean very little.

A lot can happen between March & September, next thing you're going to tell me is that the sky is blue and 2 + 2 = 4. Fact of the matter is, there have been some positive signs and fans are entitled to discuss them.

Without really getting into it, this just screams of having your cake and eating as well.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
There is a fair point there somewhere about past form coming into it but to use that line to justify the amount of criticism being directed at the club around a month ago for a trial was silly. Especially from these so called 'experienced' fans who should realise that trials mean very little.

A lot can happen between March & September, next thing you're going to tell me is that the sky is blue and 2 + 2 = 4. Fact of the matter is, there have been some positive signs and fans are entitled to discuss them.

Without really getting into it, this just screams of having your cake and eating as well.

you're missing the point pretty much entirely but, whatever ... I've made mine about where this side has been and where this side is at three (3) rounds into a new season ... you can have your cake and silly semantics and eat them both, without really getting into it.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Regardless of the 'Buzz Killington' phenomena I find the 2014 to 2013 comparisons pretty interesting.

In hindsight, the Broncos start to 2013 wasn't that bad. Yes, it was 1-3, but those three losses happened to occur against the three best teams in the competition and Brisbane were competitive in all three games. It really wasn't until Round 8 perhaps even 9 the cracks really began to form and the club was on struggle street.

I believe the difference is there appears to be more upside with this side than the others and the form of players like Sam Thaiday, Dale Copley & Andrew McCullough has been quite promising.

With Hodges yet to come into the side, a few players yet to find their best form and a squad that's better equipped to handle the Origin period, you can understand why there's an air of excitement surrounding the club.

Here's a question for you guys - Is there anything from the 2013 season we're actually missing aside from Hodgey?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I think we're missing the direction we had in the halves last year, it wasn't great last year, but it's pretty woeful this year. But in reality the additions of Barba and Kennedy and the good form of Thaiday, Copley, Gillett, Maranta have overshadowed our poor halves, if we had good halves right now we'd be on track for a top 4 finish.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

You're still not answering the question you were asked. We all know these things and virtually no one is claiming anything different.

Still doesn't explain why you are jumping down the thought of people that are simply saying the are proud of the effort so far and things like fitness have obviously improvement.

You're carrying on like half this forum are running around with 'broncos 2014 premiers' shirts.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
It's pretty damn good that we only just got beaten by the reigning premiers given that nearly everyone had predicted a hiding. Especially given we didn't have our best back or two first choice props.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Not holding my breath that this form continues but I'm impressed so far. We could easily improve from here but I'm not holding my breath.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Not holding my breath that this form continues but I'm impressed so far. We could easily improve from here but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah this. We could go either way atm. Once Hodges and Kahu are back and the team is hopefully more settled, the combinations should hopefully begin to click.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Here's a question for you guys - Is there anything from the 2013 season we're actually missing aside from Hodgey?

Prince. Can convert, which allows Corey to simply focus on his game and is/was also an experienced half.

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013
Typical bell curve happening here. You've got a few posters going a bit overboard with the 'positive vibe' thingy with the majority of level headed posters happy with our start but still cautious. Then there is a few doomsayers that will never be pleased unless we are winning every game by 40.

For the record, I agree with everything that Bullshark has said. Happy with the start but a lot of poor football has been played over the last two years by this team, so 3 games of solid footy doesn't quite erase the memory of that. Promising signs though.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
I agree with you Aldo, IF we continue our steady improvement each game, there is no reason we should not be easily in the top 8. But for now we must weight and see how the team responds to the disappointing lose.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I agree with you Aldo, IF we continue our steady improvement each game, there is no reason we should not be easily in the top 8. But for now we must weight and see how the team responds to the disappointing lose.
I think Corvo has done good work on that... :spy:

Aldo

Aldo

What, me worry?
Contributor
Jul 7, 2013

That's a good point mate. How they respond to the loss against the Roosters is the big unknown at this point.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • levikaden
  • The Boss
  • Kev_Guz
  • Manifesto
  • broncos4life
  • Santa
  • Broncos Maestro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.