Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Source: Brisbane Times
Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

April 21, 2022 — 11.15am

Sonny Bill Williams believes the Broncos should do everything in their power to retain Payne Haas, predicting the powerhouse prop will learn from his experiences after “his little misdemeanours have been blown out of proportion”.

Haas will slot back into the Brisbane No.10 jersey for Friday’s clash against Canterbury at Suncorp Stadium after serving a one-game suspension for an altercation with teammate Albert Kelly.

That ban, and the $10,000 fine that accompanied it, is the result of a string of off-field dramas that also include copping a good behaviour bond over an altercation with police last year which resulted in a $50,000 fine and three-game suspension, as well as a four-game ban for failing to cooperate with an NRL integrity unit investigation in 2019.

The development comes at a time when the NSW enforcer is in dispute with his long-time management firm and rival clubs are circling should he become a free agent.

Like Williams, Haas has converted to Islam and the pair have struck up a friendship after meeting “a couple of times.” While some pundits have called for Brisbane to cut him loose, Williams believe parting with Haas would be a big mistake.
“He’s definitely one of my favourite players,” Williams told the Herald.
“All of his little misdemeanours have been blown out of proportion. He’s a young man; you can’t sit and tell me you haven’t made mistakes when you are 20 or 21, similar things to what he’s making.

“There’s people within the club and around him that will tell him not to be as naive and think this or that won’t happen, but they are young men. You know what it’s like with the political side of rugby league – if someone doesn’t want him there or some people don’t like what he’s about or doing – they are going to blow it more out of proportion.

“For myself, he’s one of the best players in the NRL, one of the best front-rowers if not the best front-rower, you know what you get each week.
“If I was the Broncos, I would be trying to keep him there and not say goodbye to him.
“He is a great footy player, but what people need to understand is that he’s a young man.

“Like all young people, we’re going to make mistakes. We just need to be a little bit patient in that sense, have a bit of empathy and understand that life’s not all roses, no one is perfect ... He will be right.”

The parallels between the early careers of Williams and Haas are obvious. Both were considered the best young forward in the game when they made their way into first grade, attracted attention for the occasional slip-up off the field and then found the Muslim faith. Asked if he saw himself in a young Haas, the cross-code star replied: “I see a bit of all of us in Payne.

“Collectively we have all made mistakes and we all love to sit back and point the finger and say ‘look at this’ and ‘look at that’,” Williams said.
“Because he plays so well and he’s one of the best front-rowers in the game, it’s a lot easier to point the finger at him.
“When you look at these pundits on TV that have never put a boot on in their life or never played in a professional sporting team in their life, these guys love using players like Payne Haas. They love blowing a story out of proportion because it’s something to talk about.

“We as people go ‘yes, yes’, but at the end of the day he is a young man finding his way in life, like all of us.
“I’ve certainly been there so I know that you can be a good person and still make mistakes.

“What’s the first thing we teach our kids each day when we are growing up? Do your best, if you stuff up just keep getting better, you’re a good person.
“In today’s age in professional sports when everyone has a phone, everyone likes to put their thoughts and feelings out there so everyone can hear and see, that’s where we are. Things get blown out of proportion with these little incidents.

“Obviously him being the same faith and walking a similar path, there are those similarities, but I’m not one to be overbearing. I’m always in the brothers’ corner. Him and a few other players I keep in contact with.”

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I love how this comes on the back of Politis saying they wont be paying Haas his millions.
SBW can get stuffed. The Broncos dont want, nor need his advice on anything.

But he's just a young man don't you know? I'm not actually sure who SBW keeps referring to in those comments because it sounds like he still think he himself is a young man in his mid-30s.

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
And I mean he's so well-placed to give such sage wisdom, right, he's always made the right decisions.

I want to know what's happening behind the scenes. This all doesn't come from nowhere. Is Payne trying to hold the club to ransom? "Pay me more or I'll leave?" If he is, he can GTFO and not let the door hit him on the way out, he's being paid his value. Something fucking stinks...

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Oh yeah, SBW definitely has our best interest in mind. No doubt this has been said so when we lose him they can say we've made a massive mistake blah blah blah.

Also stop justifying Haas's bullshit. He's a drop kick that's good at footy. Nothing more.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
In a battle of who is the bigger dick head, Haas takes the win with ease. I'll take it.

The point is, they both seem to be less than ideal role models but at least Munster is one in a position we are of great need.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Better than Munster? That's a very short list.

not really.

Munster is a bit like Ponga, (although not as bad), in that he can be inconsistent and there is a fairly big gap between his best games an his worst games.

there is a reason why the Storm won't budge from there 750k a season offer (which is a massive pay cut to take)

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Haas for Collins and walker with an extension, or kiss the backside of my figs.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I think we should hold out for someone better for Haas. he's a big card to play for us and really we should be in no rush to play it. wait for the right hand to come along

Who do you have in mind?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
some of the people i'd consider before Munster are:

Harry Grant
Tom Trbojevic
Jarome Luai
Sam Walker
Luke Keary
Nicho Hynes

I'd also consider:

Reece Walsh - I maintain we did the right thing in our dealings with him last year, but he is a talented player. although i'd still want to know that he has matured since then

Joey Manu - I like him as a player, just not 100% sold on him as a fullback

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow: another player i like, but if we made this trade we'd just have to be a bit patient (not BHQ's specialty) as he is still a work in progress at fullback

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
some of the people i'd consider before Munster are:

Harry Grant
Tom Trbojevic
Jarome Luai
Sam Walker
Luke Keary
Nicho Hynes

I'd also consider:

Reece Walsh - I maintain we did the right thing in our dealings with him last year, but he is a talented player. although i'd still want to know that he has matured since then

Joey Manu - I like him as a player, just not 100% sold on him as a fullback

Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow: another player i like, but if we made this trade we'd just have to be a bit patient (not BHQ's specialty) as he is still a work in progress at fullback

But who of those blokes are potentially available next season other than Walsh (and certainly wouldn't be giving up Haas just for him)?

Active Now

• barker
  • Santa
  • Mr Fourex
  • mystico
  • Cavalo
  • Xzei
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • kman
  • winslow_wong
  • The Strapper
  • Wolfie
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Harry Sack
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.