NEWS ‘No pressure’: Shock early return beckons for Haas

BHQArticleImageLarge113

Broncos superstar Payne Haas has thrust himself in line for a shock injury comeback after being seen training strongly for the first time ahead of the club’s do-or-die Battle of Brisbane.

Despite coach Kevin Walters’ comment on Friday night that his marquee prop would be unlikely to recover from a foot issue in time to take on the Dolphins, the State of Origin giant ran with vigour in a short stint during an opposed session on Wednesday, albeit with the red “no-contact” bib on.

He has been named on the extended bench, having not played in the side’s past two clashes, with the squad to be cut 24 hours before kick-off.

Given that the Broncos, like the Dolphins, need to win on Saturday to keep their finals ambitions alive, the 24-year-old’s return could ignite a fourth-straight win over their cross-town rivals.

“He’s been training really well,” Broncos lock Pat Carrigan said. “I’m not sure if he’ll play – obviously that was his first little five-minute involvement in some skills, so we’ll see how he goes.

“But he’s the ultimate professional.

“It was obviously just a bit of a reintroduction for him. I’m not really across it, but I think that was just his first day of skills.

“It’s Payne Haas, so you guys know for yourself watching [what he can do] … but there’s no pressure on him, he’s had that sort of injury, and we’re just looking for him to recover and get it right.

“His foot hasn’t come off the pedal, he’s been leading the way with the rehab boys, and consistency is just what he brings.

“If he was to get out there, it’d be awesome, but not pressure on him.”

Having already suffered a Lisfranc injury this year, Haas has managed only 13 games for the Broncos, with Carrigan shouldering more of the load in his absence.

The 26-year-old has run for more metres than ever in his career (174 a game), while averaging 38 tackles, all around his gruelling State of Origin series (162 metres and 45 tackles a game).

Those numbers go up in Haas’ absence – 200 running metres and 42 tackles per outing – but Carrigan insists his body is not feeling overwhelmed.

“I’m sweet. I’m the only one still doing full training – they’re all going missing – but I’m good,” he laughed.

“Obviously, I love playing with Payno, and we know what he does for this team, but I think, as a group, and collectively as forwards, we’ve had to take on a little bit extra.

“But it’s just part of it, finding a way and getting a result. I think guys like Corey Jensen, Xavier Willison and Marty’s [Taupau] form has been really good too.

“I’m not alone ... I’ll do whatever I need to do to get the result.”

Sydney Morning Herald

Time to fold some Fish *****.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Griffo
  • Manofoneway
  • Viti
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • pagey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.