NEWS ‘Nothing to prove’: Darkest days to trigger Carrigan’s defining moment

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BHQArticleImageLarge68

Josh McGuire watched on as Pat Carrigan was tasked with leading one of rugby league’s most powerful clubs in their darkest hour.

And the former Maroons enforcer declared that trial by fire would pave the way for a career-defining State of Origin campaign.

“Sometimes the weight of pressure can break or build man,” McGuire said.

“It’s built him into the leader he is now.”

McGuire, a veteran of 14 Maroons caps, witnessed Carrigan come through the Broncos ranks back in his own days as one of the club’s leading forwards.

He has since returned to Red Hill as a defence coach – in addition to his work with the Professional Bull Riders – and has noticed considerable growth in the man tipped to succeed Queensland captain Daly Cherry-Evans.

Carrigan’s leadership credentials were given a test less than a year after his NRL debut, a 12-game tenure during Brisbane’s harrowing 2020 season.

The campaign ended with wooden spoons being hurled onto the club’s training turf, the lowest point in the juggernaut’s 36-year history.

But speaking ahead of the PBR State of Origin series in Brisbane, McGuire believed those harsh lessons had given Carrigan the tools to inspire a boilover in Sydney.

“I think it definitely did [mould him], it’s like if you become a dad young – it can make or break you, and you have responsibility,” McGuire said.

“This is a great opportunity to stand up and stake his claim. He’s got nothing to prove, but the good ones do play better when other greats are out, and I have no doubt Patty will do great.”

The absence of those greats McGuire alluded to – injured trio Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Thomas Flegler and Tom Gilbert – will ensure the role Carrigan has played in Brisbane’s revival needs to come to the fore on Wednesday night.

The direction he provides was highlighted in the closing stages of 2022, when his four-game suspension coincided with the Broncos’ slide from finals force to wilderness.

Brisbane won just once in that period, and conceded more than 50 points twice.

If there is anyone who appreciates Carrigan’s influence, it is star fullback Reece Walsh.

The livewire No.1 has become one of rugby league’s biggest stars – thriving off the platform Carrigan has laid.

Walsh credited Carrigan as the calming presence needed to help him handle the spotlight and expectations which followed him.

And he declared the 26-year-old was primed to cement his status as one of the code’s finest leaders.

“He’s massive, not just for what he does for me on the field, he does a lot for me off the field too and my little one [daughter Leila],” Walsh gushed.

“I think that’s just part of Patty’s nature [being a leader], if there were some big names in I think he’d still want to grow and get better.

“You always expect the quality and big series from big players, and that’s what Patty is.”

Carrigan and the Queensland pack will have a mountain to climb, giving up 224 kilograms collectively against a Blues outfit who have named two extra forwards in lieu of a backline utility.

But in 2024, he has found a way to set the standard in an area typically dominated by bigger men, leading the competition for post-contact metres [858, at 71.50 metres a game].

And McGuire – who himself grew accustomed to punching above his weight – believes those smarts, and the Maroons’ mobility, will foil the muscle they face.

“He’s not the quickest, but he’s very smart and capable of getting people into positions that are profitable for him,” McGuire said.

“He knows how to put himself in positions where he’ll keep momentum, and it shows rugby league is not all about the size and power.

“It’s technique and positioning and awareness on how you’re going to enter the line and isolate defenders to get one on one, which Patty’s very good at.

“He uses the guys around him to build momentum and create opportunities.”

Sydney Morning Herald

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
IDGAF what moosehead has to say......

We need Patty to stand up again.... take the game by the balls.
We've seen him do it before.
We need him to do it again.

Rugby League GIF by NRL

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
The biggest thing I took away from this article, is that Patty is 26. Where'd that time go, holy hell.

MrTickyMcG

MrTickyMcG

QCup Player
Jun 3, 2021

Rugby League GIF by NRL
I’ve seen this a thousand times and I can never quite understand, is he happy? He is doing all of the actions of a happy man, with the saddest look on his face. His reaction is so instant as well, it’s like he wails the microsecond the scarf hits the beer. This should go in the origin moments thread tbh.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I’ve seen this a thousand times and I can never quite understand, is he happy? He is doing all of the actions of a happy man, with the saddest look on his face. His reaction is so instant as well, it’s like he wails the microsecond the scarf hits the beer. This should go in the origin moments thread tbh.
He should be happy, it was right after Dallas Johnson opened the scoring with his johnson.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

Rugby League GIF by NRL

I had that gif years ago .
I thought it was a classic . Old PC shat itself and I lost it . Saved as Origin scarf fail .
Thanks Rex .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

I think that man has a very deep fondness for beer .
He was heart broken to think that he would be beerless for at least the rest of the half of football .

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Foordy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Fozz
  • Bucking Beads
  • Howie
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • eggstar10
  • Skyblues87
  • Painin the Haas
  • lynx000
  • Xzei
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.