NEWS ‘Standout option’ to Broncos’ big halfback dilemma

beggars cant be chooser....Croft is better than any we have on the books so kinda makes sense...kid does have some upside left too...

Croft, Sezer - couple of decent options there
Not million dollar halves but still better than we have and they have some experience

left field thought too is Jackson Hastings. Seems to have matured a lot playing in England, has a good mix of game control and flair in games I've seen him play. Obviously was a dickhead in his early years, but Trent Barrett basically drove him out of the game by ignoring him when Manly had no healthy half options. He's just been part of Salford, who are in the playoffs this year when a lot of judges tipped them to be in a relegation race, and is moving to current premiers Wigan next season, so think he has something to offer, surely has a homesick get out clause you'd think.

Sezer is our best option imo.
I think he and Dearden could work well in the halves.
Dearden will need some form of mentor, and I’m not sure if Croft is the one who will be able to provide that.
Also Croft unfortunately wont have the talent in key positions that he does at Melbourne.

I also think Sezer is the best bet. Realistically for 2020 I think the only halves who even MIGHT be available would be Sezer, Croft and Ash Taylor. Of these three, Sezer would not only be the cheapest, but also brings the most experience. Sign him for a 2 year deal. He can help mentor Dearden and provides us another option in the halves.

Personally, I think the best spine would be 1. Bird 6. Milford 7. Dearden 9. Turpin, but i'm not certain Dearden could last a full year in first grade yet, and having a more experienced player would do him well.

Sezer might not be the flashiest half, but he can help control a team and has a pretty good kicking game. I think Sezer would allow Milford to focus on running the ball more and take a lot of pressure off him.

Depending how the start of 2020 goes, i'd then look at trying to get a fullback if Bird is no good there.

Perhaps I've missed something but when did Bird become a Fullback candidate all of a sudden?

Has he ever really played there? He came up as a Halfback and 5/8 I thought, and played in the Centres for Cronulla if I recall correctly?

I'm not saying he couldn't make the move, but his name is thrown around so much for the job it's like it's a done deal that he'd make a great Fullback?

Last edited:
Perhaps I've missed something but when did Bird become a Fullback candidate all of a sudden?

Has he ever really played there? He came up as a Halfback and 5/8 I thought, and played in the Centres for Cronulla if I recall correctly?

I'm not saying he couldn't make the move, but his name is thrown around so much for the job it's like it's a done deal that he'd make a great Fullback?
Yeah , a couple of times when he first came onto the scene. No thanks from me , I want a legitimate fullback (papa,tedesco type). I was hoping milf might come good, but as I said back then he is lazy . Bird at 6 or center for me , if he stays that is.

Foran is still number 1 for me (pending a medical). Plays 6 naturally so won’t step on Dearden’s toes, is experienced, is in great form, has won prems, and is a better player in general than Croft and Sezer.

Foran is still number 1 for me (pending a medical). Plays 6 naturally so won’t step on Dearden’s toes, is experienced, is in great form, has won prems, and is a better player in general than Croft and Sezer.
To counter that though, he definitely wont be cheap and he does have a fairly troubling injury history that only increases the risk of such a move.

We have to be smart with our roster and i think Bird is the best option for fullback we have. He loves being around the ball, Has the ball playing skill, has plenty of physicality and effort in his play, he would need to improve his fitness to play the role though. Move Milf back to six and get in a proper halfback.

I actually think we need a left center as well as a halfback. We cant keep relying on kids. I actually wouldn't be averse to bringing in Morris if possible for a year. Would still do a solid job for us.

Sezer is a standout for mine. We need experience as much as a half. At 28 he is mature and coming off a very successful year. He has come into his own this season and isn't overplaying his hand or making those big errors he was prone to earlier in his career, and he can kick, something else we need badly.
Dearden can stay and learn in Qcup while his body develops a bit more.
2 year contract while Dearden develops.
Taylor is cooked IMO. He will do well to get back into the NRL. Too much money too young off the back of 1 outstanding season and a dearth of halfbacks.
Croft, I'm not sold on. Melb let him go for a reason, possibly to keep Pap and Hughes but ????

We have to be smart with our roster and i think Bird is the best option for fullback we have. He loves being around the ball, Has the ball playing skill, has plenty of physicality and effort in his play, he would need to improve his fitness to play the role though. Move Milf back to six and get in a proper halfback.

I actually think we need a left center as well as a halfback. We cant keep relying on kids. I actually wouldn't be averse to bringing in Morris if possible for a year. Would still do a solid job for us.

Yep nothing wrong with
1 Bird
4 Morris
6 Milf
7 sezer
9 Turpin
14 Seggy

Bird isn't the answer for fullback imo
Much prefer him at 6 or center, milf and isaako to fight it out for one if not go to the market. Bird is like Wighton in my eyes and is not what you want in a 1 but everything you want in a running 6 or center.
We need to stop manufacturing players

Just because of how much the media have been going on and on about it, at this point I'd take Sezer or Foran 6/7 days over Croft.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Foordy
  • kiwibronco
  • teampjta
  • Xzei
  • Browny
  • Jedhead
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.