NEWS ‘We will make the finals’: Four things learnt from Broncos’ escape

BHQArticleImageLarge109

Their season is still alive. Only just, but there is a heartbeat.

More than a heartbeat if you believe Broncos coach Kevin Walters, who declared post-game “We will make the finals”.

But he can thank Tristan Sailor for inspiring his side out of what was arguably the worst opening 10 minutes of Walters’ tenure to pull off a 30-24 comeback triumph of Parramatta.

An insipid start at Suncorp Stadium was overcome, courtesy of the 26-year-old’s sensational individual try in which he raced half the field and stood up Eels’ duo Clint Gutherson and Maika Sivo in the process.

That play came after Sailor was cruelly denied, having regathered his own kick only to be held up and dragged over the dead ball line by Sivo.

It was also Sailor’s pinpoint cutout pass to put Selwyn Cobbo over in the second half that got Brisbane back on level terms, while his poise under the high ball saved many an attacking raid.

By full-time, he had 188 running metres, two linebreak assists, a try assist and three tackle busts.

“That’s his best game for us this year, he caught all those high balls well, and he was always dangerous with the ball in hand,” Walters said.

“That first try was very good, good speed and good anticipation.”

Sailor will be missed when he departs for St Helens next year, but after Walters confirmed Reece Walsh would not recover from a hand injury next week, he will get another chance in Broncos’ colours.

Despite the comeback, the first 10 minutes spells danger

For the second game in a row, the Broncos had to fight back from a disastrous start.

They had only two sets with the football by the time Parramatta had scored three tries, with their aggression coming off their defensive line seriously lacking.

But from that point, Brisbane found their gear, as Pat Carrigan and Adam Reynolds led from the front to turn the tide.

“It was not a very good start, it was sort of went against everything we spoke about to start,” Walters said.

“But I admired their courage to stay in the game and fight hard. It wasn’t that pretty, but they hung in there well.

“They never gave up, that’s how we won the game, they just kept going and kept trying.”

Carrigan – as he has been all year – was an ironman, finishing with 215 metres and 54 tackles to begin getting his team on the front foot.

From there, Reynolds took advantage alongside Sailor, with the skipper scoring a fortuitous try courtesy of a Blaize Talagai error before coming up with a piece of magic the very next set.

Sivo failed to handle the halfback’s towering bomb, and Reynolds was quick to scoop up the loose ball and find another grubber to put Kotoni Staggs over.

The 34-year-old’s class off the boot inspired his side’s defensive shift, kicking for 708 metres to go with two try assists and a pair of linebreak assists.

But Reynolds was far from satisfied, his kick out on the full with a minute remaining a particular lowlight.

“There were just moments in the game that could have been better, it’s as simple as that,” Reynolds said.

“We had a lot on the line and [I’ve] got to get it right at that time and I didn’t get it right all tonight.”

Have star pairing’s value soared?

Walters has long said he believed the Broncos could keep his backline stars beyond the end of their 2025 contracts, but the form of Staggs and Cobbo will make for a daunting battle to do so.

Finishing with a try, 130 metres and eight tackle busts, Staggs’ efforts against the Eels followed on from what was arguably the best performance of his career two weeks ago against the North Queensland Cowboys.

While he came up with a poor defensive read in the lead up to Sivo’s try, the energy he brought with the ball was crucial in generating momentum.

Cobbo’s versatility to play across the backline will also make him a tempting target for rivals, and with Walsh also to be extended on a lucrative deal, it makes for a delicate salary cap juggling act.

Playing his first game since round 21, Cobbo also helped himself to a try while running for 167 metres, 11 tackle busts and two linebreaks.

“I love seeing Selwyn with the ball in hand and I thought he had a couple of good defensive decisions there as well,” Reynolds said.

“First game back for a couple of weeks and no doubt he’ll be better again for the run.”

With sides such as the Sydney Roosters on the hunt for a new centre pairing following the rugby union defections of Joey Manu and Joseph Suaalii, the Broncos’ duo face career-defining decisions.

Where does this leave the Broncos season?

Brisbane still cannot afford to lose, but they remain a mathematical chance to sneak into the top eight.

They will be eagerly watching to see if the Sharks can take down the Dragons, with the latter needing to lose two of their remaining three matches if the Broncos are to edge past them.

Given the Dolphins are in a similar position, it sets up an enthralling Battle of Brisbane next week.

But Walters was in no mood to hype up the looming contest; however, he did issue a telling message.

“It [the Dolphins game] is not more important than tonight was, we had to win tonight, we didn’t play well and managed to win, and I’m sure if we come up with that next week it won’t be the same result,” Walters said.

“There’s no if here, we’re going to make the finals. We will make the finals, but we have to play well next week.”

Sydney Morning Herald

Delusional....

Stfu kevvie, I like you but read the room. The season is over and your denial just pisses us fans off

Unfortunately, due to the huge collapse and failure throughout the year it is not up to us whether we play finals. We could win both our next games (doubtful given how we are performing despite the wins) and still 90% chance we won't make it. Dragons are playing very well and just need to win 2/3.

Delusional....

Stfu kevvie, I like you but read the room. The season is over and your denial just pisses us fans off

Unfortunately, due to the huge collapse and failure throughout the year it is not up to us whether we play finals. We could win both our next games (doubtful given how we are performing despite the wins) and still 90% chance we won't make it. Dragons are playing very well and just need to win 2/3.

How about you take your death ridin elsewhere ?
We can dream if we want to !

Delusional....

Dragons could easily lose 2 of their 3, it wouldn't even be a shock. They've got Cronulla who have to win to keep their hopes of a top 4 finish alive. Parramatta who are fighting desperately to avoid the spoon and then Canberra. The only one of those games I could rule out just in the theory of the other team not having too much to play for would be Canberra.

Not to mention if they do lose to Cronulla, then the doubt starts to set in. Especially when you got the coach of one of the teams gunning for your spot saying with absolutely no doubt that his team will be playing finals.

Dragons could easily lose 2 of their 3, it wouldn't even be a shock. They've got Cronulla who have to win to keep their hopes of a top 4 finish alive. Parramatta who are fighting desperately to avoid the spoon and then Canberra. The only one of those games I could rule out just in the theory of the other team not having too much to play for would be Canberra.

Not to mention if they do lose to Cronulla, then the doubt starts to set in. Especially when you got the coach of one of the teams gunning for your spot saying with absolutely no doubt that his team will be playing finals.
Full credit to Kevvie if he can swing that.

Well he will have certainly fired up Flanno. Basically saying Dragons aren't good enough to make the 8.
Love KW but he really is a Walter Mitty.

With sides such as the Sydney Roosters on the hunt for a new centre pairing following the rugby union defections of Joey Manu and Joseph Suaalii, the Broncos’ duo face career-defining decisions.
I hate how they keep talking about the rorters, but never mention that if Staggs or Cobbo sign with them then they'll be playing with that racist **** Leniu

A coach believing in his team until there is no hope at all, what a loser...wait a minute, isn't this the mindset of a winner?

Considering how our season has gone so far, I probably wouldn't have said it to the media.

A coach believing in his team until there is no hope at all, what a loser...wait a minute, isn't this the mindset of a winner?
Nah it was a stupid comment. Playing finals is out of his control... even after we win all our games we're still relying on dragons losing. To be so adamant looks like he doesn't even understand what's going on around him.

Nah it was a stupid comment. Playing finals is out of his control... even after we win all our games we're still relying on dragons losing. To be so adamant looks like he doesn't even understand what's going on around him.

To you, not to me. Shows a coach who believes in his team and refuses to give in, even when the odds are stacked against him.

Shows a coach who believes in his team and refuses to give in, even when the odds are stacked against him.
It's a bit of that, but also Kevvie believes in a bit of the new-agey manifestation through mindset and use of language. That's why you see him correct himself a lot during interviews and press conferences, because he's not allowed to say words like "problem" or "bad" and instead has to say "challenges".

To me it comes across as awkward, like he's had a few life-coaching sessions / Tony Robbins seminars and instead of saying what he really thinks, he says what he believes he's supposed to think.

Was the only answer. It's a punt he has to take to keep the team motivated.

Considering how our season has gone so far, I probably wouldn't have said it to the media.

I don't think he was saying it to the media, I believe he was sending a message and trying to put pressure on the Dragons.

He just needs his players to have that mindset

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • Big Del
  • BroncosAlways
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • mitch222
  • Fitzy
  • davidp
  • Dexter
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Yellowfella
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.