16 years ago yesterday

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
we won our 1 Premiership.

I heard this on the radio late last night.

I remember lining up to get GF tickets & was successful in getting them.

I slept outside Myer on the Gold Coast for about 2 days. My Dad & myself were 1 & 2 in the queue.

All up there was about 50 people.

Those days you earnt your GF tickets.

And for the record here are the teams:

1. J. O'Neill
2.M. Hancock
3. S. Renouf
4. C. Johns
5. W. Carne
6. K. Walters
7. A. Langer
13. T. Matterson
12. A. Cann
11. T. Gillmeister
10. G. Allen
9. K. Walters
8. G. Lazarus

14.M.Hohn 15. A. Gee 16. J. Plath 17. T.Currie

St George
1. M. Potter
2. R. Walford.
3. M.Coyne
4. G. Bradley
5. I. Herron
6. M. Beattie
7. N. Goldthorpe
13. J. Hardey
12. S. Gourley
11. D. Barnhill
10. N. Tierney
9. W. Collins
8. T. Priddle

14. B.Mackay 15. R. Terp 16. T. Smith 17. M.Elliot

Fair effort by Noel Goldthorpe who won his 3rd straight Grand Final with the Noosa Pirates as captain / coach in this years Sunshine Coast comp

OMG How unreal was that day. Best day ever.
After that year they closed the Broncos leagues club to just anyone for Grand Finals. The place was wrecked.
My husband and son went down to the game but the club was the place to be.

Never will we have a team like that again imo

Rightio, time for some 1992 Grand Final trivia.

Why did St George have a try disallowed early and who was the player that nearly scored the try?

oh man ummmm ill take a guess and say that the player was ruled in touch before he got the ball down and it was walford? i cant remember, ill have to watch it again soon, its gonna be a long off season.

pennywisealfie said:
oh man ummmm ill take a guess and say that the player was ruled in touch before he got the ball down and it was walford? i cant remember, ill have to watch it again soon, its gonna be a long off season.

You are correct sir!

Jebadude said:
pennywisealfie said:

You are correct sir!

And i think it was Kerrod Walters who made the try saving tackle?? eusa_think

BroncoMatt said:
Jebadude said:
pennywisealfie said:

You are correct sir!

And i think it was Kerrod Walters who made the try saving tackle?? eusa_think

It was. Would've been a try for all money but Walters made a desperate dive and got Walford's legs into touch. Goes to show why he was the 1992 Player of the Year icon_thumbs_u

very underrated kerrod.

Kerrod fucked his own rep career with some suspension problems. He was ahead of his older brother in the pecking order, and then got outed for a while. Steve got a shot and there was no looking back.

Ooohhh... I remember that day.. I was 15 and camping up the coast with my sister and some friends... they were all driving home later that day but I remember getting on an early bus to Brisbane (who catches the bus from Noosa to Brisbane??) to get home well in advance for the game. I had to avoid missing it or arriving home late. Turns out my sister got home just before kick off but at least I didn't have to worry (I couldn't drive so it was out of my hands). I remember wearing the old yellow V-neck jersey and had a "Broncos to WIN" badge on that I bought for $1 at the newsagent. I still have it haha. Not the jersey though [eusa_eh

I was staying up at Coolum with my sister and we went for a walk through the town (if you could call it that) in the morning of the game. The beach was covered with BRONCOS TO WIN sand writings, and the bakery full of maroon and gold bread rolls (tasted foul, but you had to have them!).

Streamers all over every house and shop...it was phenomenal.

I remember watching it on ABC TV...was so good. Warren Boland...such a legendary commentator. Way better than Rabs.

OMG I loved ABC TV footy games back then... always played Saturday arvo games. Yep Warren Boland was great!

I watched the 1998 Grand Final on Saturday....I almost put the 1992 one on, perhaps I should've, how awesome is Alfy Langer's try where he passes it off the head of Lazarus (?) and runs around and scores under the posts.

ALLFFFYYY

Gavin Allen was the noggin' that provided the try assist. LOL

Ahh Allen, he was outstanding in that game!!!!!

I was living down in Country NSW outside a small town called Moree(Hickscentral), we had lost the SOO which was a tough enough experience being a Queenslander in enemy territory but I tell you what getting the last laugh come Grand Final time made it all worthwhile. Terry Matterson and Steve Renouf were my two heroes back then and seeing the Pearl score one of the best tries if not the best try in Grand Final history was awesome. I would happily trade Folau and Hodges for a clone of Steve Renouf, he was just amazing in flight and unlike Hodges didn't have any garbage in his game.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • teampjta
  • Xzei
  • Browny
  • Jedhead
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.