1990 Reserve Grade Grand Final side

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Although we won our first grade grand final in 1992, our first premiership as a club was actually in 1990 when the reserve grade won the trophy. I was just wondering if anyone had a team list of that side for that particular match?

Can't find a team list anywhere, it'd be in some old Big League magazine for sure.

Players I've managed to find out that were in the team - Steve Renouf, Alan Cann, John Plath, Grant Rix. We beat the Raiders 14-6 at the Sydney Football Stadium.

To make it more significant the Raiders were going for premierships in all 3 grades that day. That was the only 1 they didn't win.

1. Andrew Richards
2. Darren Plowman
3. Steve Renouf
4. Grant Rix
5. Brett Plowman
6. Craig Teevan
7. John Plath
8. Brett Le Man
9. Jason Hanrahan
10. Alan Cann
11. Scott Tronc
12. Ray Herring (c)
13. James Donnelly

Coach: Bill Gardiner

Squad: Grant Thorogood, Bob Conway, Andrew McCarron, Ashley Tupaea, Rohan Teevan, Jason Twist.

Brisbane won 14-8 in Extra Time after finishing the season 4th, Canberra were the minor premiers.

I miss the reserve grade days or even when the Toowoomba Clydesdales were the Bronco's farm team. Having contracted players scattered around the ISC makes it a very uninteresting competition to say the least IMO.

Great game, I have it on dvd.

Cann snapped his hammy and kept playing somehow.
The game went into extra time and the NSWRL refused to not go ahead with the pre-game stuff so the poor Raiders and Panthers had 30 minutes of sitting around ready. Probably hurt the Panthers more.

Herring went to the coast after that game.
Tronc is now the 20's coach.
Plath makes pools

First game I ever saw of Renouf. Remember him going over in the corner. My Dad & I knew we'd witnessed something special.

I miss the reserve grade days or even when the Toowoomba Clydesdales were the Bronco's farm team. Having contracted players scattered around the ISC makes it a very uninteresting competition to say the least IMO.

Need to bring back reserve grade. It may hurt ISC fairly badly, but surely players and clubs benefit from being in the one system and reserve players feel part of the club still playing in our jersey.

With the dissolution of the NYC I don't see why they can't have reserve grade again and play it as the curtain raiser to the main game

I miss the Clydesdales, still remember watching as many of their games as I could back in those days pre-everyone has a camera / live stream days. I still remember seeing Dave Taylor and thinking my gosh this kid is something special. He terrorized Easts I think it was and my jaw was on the ground.

I also remember first spotting GI as a lanky young freak in one of his few games in those days but obviously not for the Clydesdales and thinking to myself, why oh why is he with Melbourne and not us.

I miss the Clydesdales, still remember watching as many of their games as I could back in those days pre-everyone has a camera / live stream days. I still remember seeing Dave Taylor and thinking my gosh this kid is something special. He terrorized Easts I think it was and my jaw was on the ground.

I also remember first spotting GI as a lanky young freak in one of his few games in those days but obviously not for the Clydesdales and thinking to myself, why oh why is he with Melbourne and not us.
We used to attend games just so we could see GI in action and even at age 17, he was far too good for Q Cup. Chris Walker was another one, I seen him score seven tries in one game. Unfortunately, he horribly underachieved as far as his first grade career goes but he could have been anything if not for the vast space between the ears. A bit like Dave Taylor.

My grandad played Rugby League in the Toowoomba for years and when I was young he used to take me to games at the Clive Berghofar Stadium.

Very good and happy memories of spending time with him. I was a Toowoomba fan but I haven't paid any attention to the ISC/QLD cup since they dropped out.

Ashley Tupaea lived behind us when I was a kid. My first pair of football boots were hand me downs from him. Terrific family.

Raiders
14. Paul Beath
15. Brett Atkins
16. Mark Bell
17. Stuart Stanton
18. Chris Kinna
19. Michael Twigg
20. Craig Bellamy c
21. Dave Woods
22. Wayne Collins
23. Craig Breen
24. Alex Crovo
25. Mark Lowry
26. David Barnhill
40. Steve Mills
41. Paul Jones
44. Ashley Gilbert

1. Andrew Richards
2. Darren Plowman
3. Steve Renouf
4. Grant Rix
5. Brett Plowman
6. Craig Teevan
7. John Plath
8. Brett Le Man
9. Jason Hanrahan
10. Alan Cann
11. Scott Tronc
12. Ray Herring (c)
13. James Donnelly

Coach: Bill Gardiner

Squad: Grant Thorogood, Bob Conway, Andrew McCarron, Ashley Tupaea, Rohan Teevan, Jason Twist.

Brisbane won 14-8 in Extra Time after finishing the season 4th, Canberra were the minor premiers.

Bench was

27- Andrew Tessman
28- Bob Conway
29- Rohan Teevan
30- Grant Thorogood
31- Jason Twist
32- Matthew Ralph
33- Ashley Tupaea
34- John Cartwright
35- Andrew McCarron

We used to attend games just so we could see GI in action and even at age 17, he was far too good for Q Cup. Chris Walker was another one, I seen him score seven tries in one game. Unfortunately, he horribly underachieved as far as his first grade career goes but he could have been anything if not for the vast space between the ears. A bit like Dave Taylor.

He scored seven against Wests in 2000. Backed it up with one the next week then was back in the NRL. Five weeks later back in ISC scored five in a game.

26 tries in 17 games.

Inglis was the first and only player I have seen in ISC and you say he can't stay here.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Redux
  • porouian
  • Gaz
  • broncos4life
  • Howie
  • Johnny92
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncoscope
  • BroncosMan
  • YeahNahMate
  • Redfern_1980
  • winslow_wong
  • MrTickyMcG
  • BroncosAlways
  • Dash
  • Financeguy
  • bert_lifts
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.