2007 World Club Challenge - St Helens vs Brisbane Broncos

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Kayo recently uploaded some classic matches with one of them being the 2007 World Club Challenge between St Helens and the Broncos.

It was a heartbreaking loss but it's great to see that squad in action. Despite the loss, it was a great game.

Nomad Productions is back.. For the time being.

Bugger me Shaun Berrigan in his prime......He makes McCullough look like a reserve grader.

Kayo recently uploaded some classic matches with one of them being the 2007 World Club Challenge between St Helens and the Broncos.

It was a heartbreaking loss but it's great to see that squad in action. Despite the loss, it was a great game.

Nomad Productions is back.. For the time being.

This game disappointed me more than it should have.

Ever since 2001, I had wanted to see the Broncos win the WCC, especially with that roster which contained some of my favourite players (Lockyer, Tate, Civoniceiva etc.). I followed it pretty closely, simulated the games on PS2, it was all very scientific and Brisbane were going to win in a tight one.

Somehow I slept through the first half and everything I saw of the second was disappointing. I thought Brisbane were a lot better than what they actually were and even though it was just a trial I was reminded that this team nearly missed the top eight altogether the year before.

It was a reality check and unfortunately it was a sign of things to come. I think that's why Bennett really mixed the side up for Round 1 and had Karmichael at 7 but he couldn't stick with it.

Thanks again for sharing that Freaky.

The Broncos were so well drilled back then. Lockyer's kicking game kept the Saints boxed inside their 20m zone and there was a lot of venom in the defence. First contact was usually strong and there was a real desperation from each guy to hit their mark. Even if they couldn't smash them, they'd do whatever they could to complete what they started.

The attack on the other hand was very frustrating. Difficult conditions aside, the left hand side offered next to nothing preventing the Broncos from opening up the field. What made Perry so valuable in 2006 was his ability to allow Lockyer to play a natural five eighth game and keep the team focused. Perry just looked out to lunch and he really failed to make his mark on the game. It didn't help that Tate was clearly irritated playing on the left hand side and Boyd looked over-awed by the occassion.

Sadly the right side wasn't much better. It appeared Lockyer went in with the mantra to kick his team to victory and didn't do much running or ball-play. The only play he felt comfortable running was the face ball to Carroll, an effective move but also very low risk. As a result, Hodges rarely saw any good ball and he really struggled to apply his foot-work in the slippery conditions.

Even so, they still did enough to give themselves a shot, they just let themselves down in key moments. The Saints try right on half-time was really poor and they had about three opportunities at 12-6 to take the game away from Saints but blew each opportunity. It certainly felt like the Broncos let that one slip and despite winning the arm wrestle for the vast majority they let it slip right at the death.

I can certainly see why Bennett switched the team around. Hodges, Lockyer, Hunt and Berrigan was the most lethal spine formation he could muster, Tate got a chance to play on his preferred side of the field and Moon was a good prospect. The only baffling choice was Perry on the bench instead of Ennis. Ennis lifted Brisbane when he came on and provided another dimension in attack, he was one of the last players that deserved to be dropped.

I can also understand why I turned on Darius that season. Boyd was persona non grata after the Round 3 loss to Penrith and it took me until his Origin debut for me to forgive him. Until I watched this game I thought I was being drastic, but I could see why I would be upset.

Especially after that final try.

DentalAchingCockatiel-max-1mb.gif

Dead-set Reece Robinson like.

I should have forgiven him a lot earlier - his start to 2008 was really good. I couldn't be convinced but at the time he well and truly deserved his Origin debut.

Last edited:
I was at the game! The atmosphere at the pub before the game was tremendous!

Active Now

• TonyTheJugoslav
  • bb_gun
  • Financeguy
  • bert_lifts
  • Sproj
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • Johnny92
  • Fatboy
  • MrRobot
  • Santa
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bish
  • teampjta
  • Old Mate
  • johnny plath
  • Redux
  • broncsgoat
  • Tim K
  • GCBRONCO
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.