2010 Rule Changes, Ideas to fix the game

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Ok its the time of year where the NRL discuss ideas for 2010 and beyond to improve the game. So i figured we can post what we read in here and discuss the ideas.

Today’s meeting did canvass a number of proposals including one that would have seen the penalty ‘touch finder’ eliminated for off-side offences and replaced instead with the referee signaling six more tackles.

“It was a suggestion that had been put forward for consideration based on the impact penalties can have in the game,” Mr Annesley said.

“There is a big advantage gained today from a team kicking for touch and re-starting the tackle count.

“The thought behind the idea is that it could reduce some of the impact a penalty has on the game, reduce stoppages and still discourage players from encroaching on the ten.
http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/57347/coaches-and-players-endorse-two-referees/default.aspx

So according to that the idea is to just call 6 more when a play is offside rather then stopping the play for a penalty kick. Awesome idea i reckon and will speed the game up some more. Will also cut back the Penalty Kicks as well so no more taking the quick 2 for offside. If this does come in next yr and it works id like to see the idea get brought on for a few more Penalties. Maybe one day itll just be 6 more everytime instead of taking the cheap 2 points.

Hmmm, frankly I'd like to see that introduced for all penalties, not just offside penalties. There's far too much advantage gained when you get a penalty for holding down too.

As above, I would like all penalties to be like that, they have way too much affect no a game and one penalty can be the difference between winning or losing. It would also means refs dont get abused as much.

But would we see players giving away more penalties? Particularly when their opposition is running it out of their own half? You could chance your arm with more niggle in the rucks to try and force a mistake.

Or when your up by less then a try with not much time on the clock, repeated infringements will slow them down with no need to worry about points.

You could effectively bash them in their own half with repeat sets

but will it slow em down or will the ref simply go "penalty 6more play the ball" giving the Attacking team more time to try something.

Browny said:
Or when your up by less then a try with not much time on the clock, repeated infringements will slow them down with no need to worry about points.

You could effectively bash them in their own half with repeat sets

I think the shot for goal can still happen though.

Not to mention sin bin for repeated infringements.

if shot at goal is still an option isnt that the same now thou?

i thought maybe its no longer choice its 6more keep playing.

draggx said:
if shot at goal is still an option isnt that the same now thou?

i thought maybe its no longer choice its 6more keep playing.

Thats what I mean, if the 2points is available for certain penalties and its just 6again what would stop teams from just being offside to stop them scoring?

But then you gotta think, yeh being offside once will stop a try but youve just given them another 6chances to score. And possibly right on your line.

Id hope if this does change that itll convince players to smarten up and save a try the right way.

Okay you've got a minute on the clock and your defending your line. You could be repeatedly offside to either slow or kill the play. Yeah the tackle count could restart but you only have to kill a few plays

and surely there will be something in the rules for repeat offenders.

Can we put forward what we would want changed? If so I wouldn't mind to see in-goal judges.

Yeh Mate feel free to suggest what youd like to see.

How is this? I know its a bit annoying but I've always said kicking for touch is too harsh and you guys are saying what about taking the two...

so, you can't kick for touch from your own half for penalties. In the opp half you have the option of taking the TAP or kick for two. (So there IS a stoppage in the opp half - can't be helped)

Obviously if you get high tackled or dangerous throw - anything like that = stoppage in play AND you can kick for touch. I don't know the official term but illegal foul play. (eg. high tackles etc)

the rule changes i would like to have:

1. Penalties - shots at goal can only be taken for dangerous/high tackles, professional fouls that end with a sin-bin. offside, holding down, hand on the ball, etc just result in 6 more tackles, with the tackle that was just completed being 0. same applies for kicks for touch - can only take a kick for touch from a dangerous/high tackle or professional foul that resulted in a sin-bin.

2. Zero tackle - whenever the ball changes sides, the team gets a zero tackle (like it was in super league). defusing a bomb 1m out from your own goal line and getting tackled the second you hit the ground shouldnt count as one of your 6 tackles.

3. Scrums - eliminate them. there is literally no reason to have them. if a team knocks on, why should they be given the opportunity (however slim) to get the ball back from the scrum? they shouldnt. and in this day and age, the halfback just throws the ball through a single leg thats stuck out the side of the scrum - whats the point of that? get rid of them all together.

4. Golden point/extra time - field goals should not count as a golden point. teams can kick a field goal, and the point will count on the score board, but it does not automatically win the match. after the 10 minutes of extra time, if no try has been scored, whoever has the higher score wins (obviously), so a field goal is still valuable. but if you kick a field goal, then 2 minutes later the opposition scores a try, they win the match. this would stop golden point/extra time from merely being a kicking competition.

5. Someone being put on report causing an injured player to be replaced - instead of just getting a free interchange, they should also be allowed to come back on to the field at a later time without it counting as a interchange.

6. Appeal system for contentious decisions. Coaches/teams can challenge decisions of Try or No Try. if their challenge is successful, the decision is overturned. if unsuccessful, the decision stands and they lose an interchange. when a team challenges a decision, a separate review board of 3 judges looks at the call and makes a decision. the referee and video referee give their opinions on the decision to this panel as to why they ruled the way they did. the panel would NOT be referees, but people that understand the game and not just the rule book.

7. Knock-ons/loose ball - far too often these days referees are blurring the lines between what is a knock-on and what is a knock-back. if a player loses the ball in a tackle, more often than not they just say it was a knock-on, when it clearly goes back lots of the time. to stop this, ANY ball that comes loose in a tackle is a 'loose ball', and is a turnover. if the ball was raked its a penalty, if not its a turnover.

8. Dominant/Surrender tackle - get rid of it. a player should not be allowed to hold down someone longer because the referee deemed they did a good tackle, or have to get off them quicker if the tackle wasnt deemed dominant. there should be a set MAXIMUM time for how long players can hold down in a tackle, be it 2 or 3 seconds, and anything longer is penalised regardless of the tackles size/effectiveness.

9. Video Referee and forward passes - the video referee should be able to rule on forward passes. it is ridiculous that they cant currently, as many a try has been scored of a blatant forward pass. one day it will cost someone a grand final/test match/state of origin series.

10. 'Review committee' watching the entire time - the review committee (who rule on challenged decisions) should be able to rule on knock-ons and forward passes at any time. if all 3 of them agree there was a BLATANT knock-on/forward pass, they relay to the referee who halts the game. line-balls are given the benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.

11. Voluntary tackle - scrap it. seriously, why is this rule in the game? if a player gets the ball, runs up, stops and rolls the ball between his legs to a 'dummy half' positioned player without anyone even touching them, what rule did they break? they didnt knock-on, they didnt do a forward pass, theres no offside. The defense can tackle them at any time, or jump on the ball when they play it, but it should not be penalised.

12. Grounding the ball for a try - no control, no try. You cannot ground the ball with ANY part of your body other than your hands, and it must be with the palms of your hands. separation or no separation, if the ball is on your forearm you do not have control of it and it is not a try.

13. Goal posts - adopt posts of the grid-iron nature, with the single pole holding them up being behind the dead ball line, extending over the goals to where the crossbar and uprights are.

14. Corner posts - get rid of them. you are not penalised for having an arm over-hanging the sideline for the previous 100m of the field, why are you all of a sudden not allowed to do it when going over the goal line? makes no sense, and is often a cause for disallowed/allowed tries that would/wouldnt have been awarded had the pole been correctly positioned. to remove those calls from the game, remove the pole. having the corner post there has no benefits.

Anonymous person said:
the rule changes i would like to have:
11. Voluntary tackle - scrap it. seriously, why is this rule in the game? if a player gets the ball, runs up, stops and rolls the ball between his legs to a 'dummy half' positioned player without anyone even touching them, what rule did they break? they didnt knock-on, they didnt do a forward pass, theres no offside. The defense can tackle them at any time, or jump on the ball when they play it, but it should not be penalised.

Disagree completely. You will start seeing touch football. Players will run to the line and play the ball before they get hit.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Foordy
  • Brocko
  • LittleDavey
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Financeguy
  • Johnny92
  • pennywisealfie
  • Xzei
  • winslow_wong
  • Allo
  • theshed
  • Battler
  • DMZ
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Locky's Left Boot
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.