2011 Manly doping allegations

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Big announcement about Manly's 2011 season coming apparently.

Re: NRL General Discussion Thread

Yep, apparently Darren Hibbert was giving players at Manly an illicit performance enhancing substance after Origin in the 2011 season.

He claims Des Hasler, the coaching staff and the players had no idea he was giving it to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow! If it's true they would have to strip them of the premiership wouldn't they?

Allegedly of course.....

Why come out with this now ?

Darren Hibbert, one of the central figures involved in the ASADA saga, has made explosive claims that he provided a substance banned in horse-racing to Manly players in the year of their 2011 Premiership victory. See the report below.

Danny Weidler reported that the squad received Inositol, and the following statement was given by Hibbert:

"In 2011 I created a mix that was used by the Manly players. I added an ingredient called Inositol - known as ITPP. I started adding it after the State of Origin series.

"The effect was quite a simple one - it was similar to EPO - it made the players unstoppable."

"The Manly club are denying any knowledge of it," Weidler said.

"Hibbert said that he did it without the knowledge of coach Des Hasler or (the) head trainer.

"The players were unaware that he was adding things to a mix as well."

From Reports Manly Sea Eagles Were Given Substance Banned In Horse Racing In Premiership Season Of 2011

It's not a banned substance in Rugby League.

Nothing article. Must be a slow news day.

Last edited:

Manly players in five years time:

AKGmMMI.jpg

What a gee up. Headline tomorrow, Manly stripped of premiership for drinking red bull. Gee some journos just print whatever comes to their mind, regardless.

I'm curious though. We all know that not being specifically named on the banned list doesn't mean it's legal. Is it another one of those ones that's not approved for human use?

I'm curious though. We all know that not being specifically named on the banned list doesn't mean it's legal. Is it another one of those ones that's not approved for human use?

That's the association that comes to mind when it says "used in horses".

That's the association that comes to mind when it says "used in horses".

Obviously there are some drugs that are effective for both humans and other animals, but if this is another that's not approved for humans, straight up that's illegal. If any part of the allegation can be proven, repercussions will be serious. So potentially not a nothing story...

Is it really an allegation when the bloke admitted to giving it to them?

Well yeah, what if he's lying? He'd be stupid because he's incriminating himself, but there's been no admission by the players.

Absolutely it is. He's made unsubstantiated claims which the club has disputed or will dispute.

For what it's worth Toovey was on NRL 360 tonight and said Hibbert only supplied supplements for one player who was alergic to their standard supply and under strict supervision of the club medical staff (or something like that, my kid kept talking over the top), and wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near the other players' supplements or water bottles.

Edit:
Exhibit A ---Darren Hibbert

824111-a1131f34-63a0-11e3-be16-1445237cc09f.jpg

Jesus, you'd think if old mate was selling primo bull shark testosterone and rocket grade epo he'd use a bit on himself. Leaving out the hair he looks like he manages a krispy kreme instead of being a performance enhancing drug dealer.

Last edited:

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jedhead
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
  • Dash
  • The Strapper
  • Jazza
  • Cavalo
  • Bish
  • Broncosarethebest
  • jd87
  • azza.79
  • Fozz
  • Rookie Alan
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.