2014 Refereeing

Sproj

Sproj

International Captain
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
They cost so many teams games. They cost a Qld the origin series. They cost some teams from making the finals. The sin binning of Gillett was disgraceful. Yet Sims can shoulder charge a player late and have nothing done. Pathetic, disgraceful, ghastly. Has there been a worse season of refereeing ever?

Well, Sims is on report, but he should have been in the bin.

We got absolutely no advantage to his foul play. Late, high, shoulder-charge = on report, making a tackle onside = 10 in the bin. Thanks Cummins.

An absolute disgrace for the officials this year. NRL should be embarrassed.

Easily the worst I can remember, definitely this millennium!

Many adjectives apply to this rabble, but I think the best way to describe it, is incompetence.

I think the refereeing has been poor, amateur, hopeless and not at the standard of first grade. It's embarrassing that professionals can make such horrible basic decisions.

They cost a Qld the origin series.QUOTE]

I can't help but smile every time I see this

On social media I've come across a lot of status's about the no try against the Storm today complaining it was wrong and it robbed the Storm of a try. I think the ref's this year have been useless but they got that one right as the ball came forward of Bromwich's fingers and went into Reynolds and that's a knock on any day of the week.

I think what annoyed people was the onfield ref already ruled on it, not that it mattered

On social media I've come across a lot of status's about the no try against the Storm today complaining it was wrong and it robbed the Storm of a try. I think the ref's this year have been useless but they got that one right as the ball came forward of Bromwich's fingers and went into Reynolds and that's a knock on any day of the week.

I'm just glad they got the decision right... and the video shouldn't be afraid to overrule the on field ref when there is a mistake, as he clearly made one by calling 6 again

It's a bit of a mess with the referees.

The NRL and the referrees' association's response is: throw more referees and rules at the problem.

The referees have an identity crisis and their reputation is completely shot to pieces. And that creates a sprialling issue with every missed or bad call.

The problem is the player's don't respect the referees, or the "instituion" of the referees. They don't trust their judgment. They don't trust that their careers and dreams can be unfairly and unjustly torn from their hands by incompetence. They don't live by the moral that the referee is sacrosanct and always right. A referee being physically assaulted by an NRL player is not that far from contemplation.

This is partly due to the past decade of Craig Bellamy and Des Hasler pathos of take every advantage even if not in the spirit of the game and argue the toss over every decision. The wrestle, the salary cap cheating.

The skill and speed of the game has grown exponentially. The refs haven't caught up. There's no new good young refs coming through the ranks because frankly, who wants to be a referee when you cop this kind of onslaught.

They need a serious cultural change, a rebranding if you will. Those stupid silky pink shirts - go back to black and white stripes. Offering training sessions with clubs? No more conflicts of interest. Distance themselves from the NRL and it's commercial interest on seeing "entertainment" and appeasing fans with less penalties, more tries, "safer" tackles (but dumber rules) and the player's interest in "being heard".

The refs need tools to help them make hard and decisive calls. To boost their confidence. Maybe the introduction of Captain's Challenges, pushes the judgement element back on the captain, rather than the ref.

20m penalty for dissent and 5 minute sin bins for repeated offences. Take a hard stance from Round 1, 2015. Ennis, Lyon, Smith and co will quickly shut up. Do we really to dilute decision making responsibility between more people? On field ref to get access to technology to make the decision himself, rather than refer to third party.

Players to acknowledge that a perfectly reasonable answer to their question about a decision is "I didn't see it like that".

Yeah, this crying about the Storm decision is just making the desired outcome - and that's getting the calls right, consistently - harder to attain, because it's definitely muddying the argument. In the end it was 100% the correct call. The fact that the ref had called play-on is irrelevant, otherwise, had the Gillett sin-binning been reversed, I would hope these same people would bitch because they overturned what the ref said.

It's a bit of a mess with the referees.

The NRL and the referrees' association's response is: throw more referees and rules at the problem.

The referees have an identity crisis and their reputation is completely shot to pieces. And that creates a sprialling issue with every missed or bad call.

The problem is the player's don't respect the referees, or the "instituion" of the referees. They don't trust their judgment. They don't trust that their careers and dreams can be unfairly and unjustly torn from their hands by incompetence. They don't live by the moral that the referee is sacrosanct and always right. A referee being physically assaulted by an NRL player is not that far from contemplation.

This is partly due to the past decade of Craig Bellamy and Des Hasler pathos of take every advantage even if not in the spirit of the game and argue the toss over every decision. The wrestle, the salary cap cheating.

The skill and speed of the game has grown exponentially. The refs haven't caught up. There's no new good young refs coming through the ranks because frankly, who wants to be a referee when you cop this kind of onslaught.

They need a serious cultural change, a rebranding if you will. Those stupid silky pink shirts - go back to black and white stripes. Offering training sessions with clubs? No more conflicts of interest. Distance themselves from the NRL and it's commercial interest on seeing "entertainment" and appeasing fans with less penalties, more tries, "safer" tackles (but dumber rules) and the player's interest in "being heard".

The refs need tools to help them make hard and decisive calls. To boost their confidence. Maybe the introduction of Captain's Challenges, pushes the judgement element back on the captain, rather than the ref.

20m penalty for dissent and 5 minute sin bins for repeated offences. Take a hard stance from Round 1, 2015. Ennis, Lyon, Smith and co will quickly shut up. Do we really to dilute decision making responsibility between more people? On field ref to get access to technology to make the decision himself, rather than refer to third party.

Players to acknowledge that a perfectly reasonable answer to their question about a decision is "I didn't see it like that".

I agree with every bit of that. Most poignantly the coaches or media blaming the refs for calling too many penalties. The onus shouldn't be on the refs watering down the application of the rules, simply to speed up the game (and so some teams who want to cheat can get away with it). It should be on the players following the rules. I read something last week that was discussing tackles & the ruck, and apparently the current "interpretation" of the rules allows for one more movement by the defensive team once "held" is called. Which is why so many time there is a held call and then the ruck falls to the ground. But why should "one more movement" be allowed? Why not reward the attacking team, if the ball-carrier can get to his feet fast, doesn't that in itself speed the game up? If there are too many entangled defenders, and the ball-carrier is impeded from playing it quick, blow a penalty. Faster game, far less wrestling and deliberate time-wasting in the ruck, isn't that what everyone wants?!?!?!?

chuck-norris-2.gif

It's shitty. Sure, it might not be as bad as it could be, but having herpes isn't as bad as it could be either.

I agree with every bit of that. Most poignantly the coaches or media blaming the refs for calling too many penalties. The onus shouldn't be on the refs watering down the application of the rules, simply to speed up the game (and so some teams who want to cheat can get away with it). It should be on the players following the rules. I read something last week that was discussing tackles & the ruck, and apparently the current "interpretation" of the rules allows for one more movement by the defensive team once "held" is called. Which is why so many time there is a held call and then the ruck falls to the ground. But why should "one more movement" be allowed? Why not reward the attacking team, if the ball-carrier can get to his feet fast, doesn't that in itself speed the game up? If there are too many entangled defenders, and the ball-carrier is impeded from playing it quick, blow a penalty. Faster game, far less wrestling and deliberate time-wasting in the ruck, isn't that what everyone wants?!?!?!?

This. Never understood it. Gives me the shits every time I see it.
Also, Captains like Ennis and Smith get far more leeway for hand on the ball, particularly when a player remains standing.
Stupid rules, sporadically enforced. Pretty much making the games difficult to watch without spraying the refs. Refs need consistency and confidence. And having more on the field should mean that major decisions are discussed (efficiently) before they are made (e.g. Gillett send off).
Just as an aside, we lost the Rabbitohs game at Suncorp based on some questionable decisions. I dare say that had we been out of the top 8 due to points difference then the Gillett send off would have seen a far larger outcry last week.

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • Johnny92
  • Pablo
  • NSW stables
  • Skathen
  • Maddy
  • bb_gun
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Brocko
  • cento
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wild Horse
  • Mustafur
  • Morkel
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.