2014 World Club Challenge Discussion

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
This is probably a little early, but I thought I would make a thread of this.

Wigan Warriors have named their 27-man squad for the WCC.

Wigan squad: Sean O' Loughlin (c), Matthew Bowen, Josh Charnley, Darrell Goulding, Matthew Smith, Blake Green, Michael McIlorum, Eddy Pettybourne, Tony Clubb, Scott Taylor, Ben Flower, Liam Farrell, Jordan James, Gil Dudson, Sam Powell, Dom Crosby, John Batemen, Anthony Gelling, Dom Manfredi, George Williams, Ryan Hampshire, Dan Sarginson, Logan Tomkins, Greg Burke, Iain Thornley, Jack Hughes, Joe Burgess.

Wigan name World Club Challenge squad - NRL.com

It would be good to see Matty Bowen play again. Although, it would be strange not seeing him in Cowboys colors.

Last edited:
I'm sure he is looking forward to playing in front of aussie fans. One's that don't call him 'Fatty' Bowen

If Wigan play the way they did on the weekend they won't have a chance. Parramatta would have beaten them.

Will be interesting to see how competitive Wigan are in Australia instead of England. Hopefully the Roosters win and the title of supremecy stays in Australia.

As much as I hate the Roosters, and I really bloody hate them, I do hope they win. Only because they're going up against a UK side.

I'm expecting it to be a close game, I'm going to say 18-12 to Roosters.

Last edited:
I'd like it to end in a nil-all draw because I don't think I could tolerate all the ex-storm, current roosters fans bragging about buying another title.

I agree with Super Freak. watching Mango in a different kit will be odd

Has a visiting English team ever won the game? I can't remember it if they have. The massive advantage of playing in the UK every year was the only thing that brought them into the contest.

Has a visiting English team ever won the game? I can't remember it if they have. The massive advantage of playing in the UK every year was the only thing that brought them into the contest.

Once. Wigan beat Brisbane 20-14 at ANZ Stadium in 1994.

I've got that game, Shaun Edwards was on fire. He was man of the match.

Last edited:
Once. Wigan beat Brisbane 20-14 at ANZ Stadium in 1994.

I've got that game, Shaun Edwards was on fire. He was man of the match.
Oh yeah . I have vague memory of that. Would've been a massive broncos side at that time.

Well, Roosters won the WCC 36-14.

Jennings and Friend had a field day with Wigan. I believe Jennings is the first player to score 3 tries in a WCC match.

Highlights are available on the NRL.com site.

Last edited:
Wigan were very average I thought. Bowen isn't even half the player he was, it's sad to see.

Hmmm my thoughts on this match... I absolutely despise the Roosters, has there ever been a bigger bunch of wankers and grubs in one team than this current Roosters team? I saw both FPN and JWH throwing elbows and headbutts in tackles on multiple occasions tonight and then there's Pearce and Maloney who have to be the grubbiest halves in the comp with all there niggly shit they carry on with.

Hmmm my thoughts on this match... I absolutely despise the Roosters, has there ever been a bigger bunch of wankers and grubs in one team than this current Roosters team? I saw both FPN and JWH throwing elbows and headbutts in tackles on multiple occasions tonight and then there's Pearce and Maloney who have to be the grubbiest halves in the comp with all there niggly shit they carry on with.

Remember when Pearce gave Slater a swinging arm and Slater throw a blind elbow whilst laying face down and it landed and then Pearce held onto him? Haha and NSW got the penalty. And they say we pay the refs off!

The Roosters were just simply far fitter and better than Wigan and won the game comfortably despite a minor resurgence in the 20 minutes after halftime. The Roosters didn't even play at their best and made some basic mistakes but it can be easily fixed with better communication and support. Jake Friend was deservedly MOM he was in everything, setting up 3 Roosters tries and providing good service from dummy half. Michael Jennings became the first player to score 3 tries in a World Club Challenge game (excluding 1997).

Thank god 9 only use Brett Finch as a guest commentator, his commentary is very average and he isn't very coherent with plenty of ums and ers.

Another trophy into the Roosters cabinet after the Broncos finish runners up in the 9's, start of the season has been very good.

I was also about to come on here and bitch about JWH. It's a shame that refs don't come down harder on grub acts, because this guy dies everything in the book to hurt opponents. Elbows, knees, and every other kind of cheap move in between. But what got it for me was the rock-star swagger and smarmy grin that he had when interviewed after the siren. Clearly this guy is severely infatuated with himself.

And yeah, Roosters were way on top. The only thing that kept Wigan in the game was Mini and some horrible mistakes from fullback. The first drop resulted directly in a try, the second knock-on flew 20 metres forward and gifted Wigan more repeat sets.

I was also about to come on here and bitch about JWH. It's a shame that refs don't come down harder on grub acts, because this guy dies everything in the book to hurt opponents. Elbows, knees, and every other kind of cheap move in between. But what got it for me was the rock-star swagger and smarmy grin that he had when interviewed after the siren. Clearly this guy is severely infatuated with himself.

And yeah, Roosters were way on top. The only thing that kept Wigan in the game was Mini and some horrible mistakes from fullback. The first drop resulted directly in a try, the second knock-on flew 20 metres forward and gifted Wigan more repeat sets.

And SBW always pushing for that offload and his error count. How come his error count is never brought up?

Active Now

• Battler
  • Broncorob
  • kman
  • Canga
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.