2020 Origin Discussion

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
On reputation sure but Fifita has been disappointing in a disappointing side. Su'A has been great in a really good side.
Yeah I kind of just typed that initially in a rash way. I respect that you may hold a different opinion. I would just have Fifita because he can potentially break a game open with brilliance.

Last edited:

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Other smoky bench options could potentially be: Thomas Mikaele and Josh Kerr. Obviously as you said Su'A is in the mix too.

Last edited:

Bongo

QCup Player
1. Ponga
2. Holmes
3. O'Neill
4. Morgan
5. Gagai
6. Munster
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Papalii
9 Hunt
10. McGuire
11. Fifita
12. Kaufusi
13. Carrigan

14. Grant
15. Arrow
16. Fotuaika (Hess if not eligible)
17. Fa'asuamaleaui

mrslong

State of Origin Captain
Patriots Nation
Su'A is not in my 17 but I respect that he is improving as a player and can see why you rate him. Given how they have selected the team in the past, I'd say Morgan is likely to be in the centres and Munster at 6.

I think Brimson is a potential game breaker off the bench and think he would value add more than Hunt and M'Bye from that position. Great support player. Would finish half chances late in the game.

One centre position is hard to fill. You either move Gagai to centre and put someone like Feldt on the wing or you keep Gagai on the wing (his best proven position), and take a punt on a potentially weakish option at centre. It's a difficult dilemma. It's hard to know what they will do.

Molo, Welch, Fa'asuamaleaui gives you a solid bench. All players are going well this year.

1. Ponga
2. Holmes
3. Morgan
4. Sami/Mann/Mbye/Gagai/B.Lee/Tuala/Shibasaki/O'Neill/Opacic (Problematic position - you're taking a punt on someone).
5. Gagai
6. Munster
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Papalii
9. Friend
10. McGuire
11. Fifita
12. Kaufusi
13. Arrow

14. Brimson
15. Molo
16. Welch
17. Fa'asuamaleaui
Hunt is a way better option than Friend.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Haven't done my Origin 17 in a while, couple of changes:

1. Ponga
2. Holmes
3. Mann
4. Gagai
5. Feldt
6. Munster
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Papalii
9. Grant
10. McGuire
11. Fifita
12. Kaufusi
13. Arrow

14. Hunt
15. Tino
16. Carrigan
17. Welch / Molo

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
How sad, most likely not one current Bronco will make the origin side (Fifita will be at the Coast by then and Carrigan is the most likely but no certainty). Has that EVER happened before?

mrslong

State of Origin Captain
Patriots Nation
How sad, most likely not one current Bronco will make the origin side (Fifita will be at the Coast by then and Carrigan is the most likely but no certainty). Has that EVER happened before?
How much does it suck that FINALLY the origin series bears no consequences on the NRL season, and we have no players to lose anyway as our season is toilet. It does my head in.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Haven't done my Origin 17 in a while, couple of changes:

1. Ponga
2. Holmes
3. Mann
4. Gagai
5. Feldt
6. Munster
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Papalii
9. Grant
10. McGuire
11. Fifita
12. Kaufusi
13. Arrow

14. Hunt
15. Tino
16. Carrigan
17. Welch / Molo
Only point of my original concern was Mann, but considering his combination with Ponga this season, it makes a lot of sense.

On form, I’d also start Carrigan over Arrow at lock. Maybe Arrow at 10.

kooly87

NRL Player
It's not going to be great reading for Broncos fans IMO:

1. Ponga
2. Gagai
3. Morgan
4. Mann
5. Holmes
6. Munster
7. DCE (C)
8. Papalli
9. Grant
10. McGuire
11. Kaufusi
12. Fifita
13. Arrow

14. Hunt
15. Carrigan
16. Welch
17. Tino/Capewell/Su'a (probably whoever has the better finals series)

A few changes from the side I had earlier in the year here:

- I'm picking Grant at Dummy Half, but I suspect Hunt will actually win the race.

- Couple of guys got a bit unlucky, Lowe retiring, Horsburgh ruled out through injury, Collins isn't getting the minutes at the Roosters now to press his claim etc

kooly87

NRL Player
I think what's exciting is that even if you remove the guys who have already played Origin, there is a decent nucleus for a side made up of young guys in the NRL who are a good chance to be involved in the Maroons setup in the future:

1. Brimson
2. Coates
3. Tuala
4. Mann
5. Mulitalo
6. Sailor
7. Dearden
8. Flegler
9. Grant
10. Horsburgh
11. Tino
12. Capewell
13. Carrigan

14. Mahoney
15. Collins
16. Mikaele
17. Su'a

theshed

NRL Captain
How many QLD eligible players do we even have at the moment? And then how many of them are established first graders let alone have enough experience to be rep players?

it’s no surprise that only Carrigan and Fifita are even in the conversation, the rest of our players are NZ or NSW eligible. The only established QLDers in our team are Milford, Joffa, Boyd and Oates and all of them are only 2 or 3 injuries in their position away from a call up.

Haas is a walk up for NSW, Staggs is a smokey, and Bird would be in the frame if not for injury. TPJ is banned but could definitely be in the chat for a bench spot had he been able to put some good games together.

considering how bad we are doing and how young our team is, I feel like we have quite a high number of players who are in the conversation and are only an injury or 2 away from a call up

State of Origin Captain
If they're squads of 25 and no one comes in for the three weeks you're going to have to be really careful with your squad and treat it like a tour. No games in between will mean if you don't get your squad right you might have to carry players who have shockers.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
What I would be bringing in to camp as the NSW squad of 25:

Backs - James Tedesco, Tom Trbojevic, Josh Addo-Carr, Nick Cotric, David Nofoaluma, Kotoni Staggs, Josh Mansour
Halves - Luke Keary, Jack Wighton, Nathan Cleary
Hookers - Damien Cook, Api Koroisau
Front Rowers - David Klemmer, Paul Vaughan, Payne Haas, Daniel Saifiti, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Junior Paulo
Second Rowers - Boyd Cordner, Tyson Frizell, Ryan Matterson, Wade Graham, Jake Trbojevic, Cameron Murray, Isaah Yeo

Cult3

State of Origin Captain
1997. Good times

Bongo

QCup Player
How many QLD eligible players do we even have at the moment? And then how many of them are established first graders let alone have enough experience to be rep players?

it’s no surprise that only Carrigan and Fifita are even in the conversation, the rest of our players are NZ or NSW eligible. The only established QLDers in our team are Milford, Joffa, Boyd and Oates and all of them are only 2 or 3 injuries in their position away from a call up.

Haas is a walk up for NSW, Staggs is a smokey, and Bird would be in the frame if not for injury. TPJ is banned but could definitely be in the chat for a bench spot had he been able to put some good games together.

considering how bad we are doing and how young our team is, I feel like we have quite a high number of players who are in the conversation and are only an injury or 2 away from a call up
Look at all the ex Broncos gagai, McGuire, arrow, hunt.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
I'm gonna be honest, I think I'd feel more comfortable with Su'A starting over Fifita at this stage. He's improved so much this year, and he's got the perfect game for Origin with the big hits and hard runs.

8. McGuire
9. Grant
10. Papalii
11. Su'A
12. Kaufusi
13. Arrow

14. Hunt
15. Fifita
16. Tino
17. Carrigan

That's the squad.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
According to Chris Garry, Fifita is no chance of playing origin, won't even be running until mid-late November.

That certainly strengthens the idea of starting Su'A.

Would replace Fifita in the above team with Welch for a bit of experience.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
My latest rendition:

1. Ponga
2. Gagai
3. Munster
4. Mann
5. Holmes
6. Morgan
7. DCE
8. McGuire
9. Grant
10. Papalii
11. Su'A
12. Kaufusi
13. Arrow

14. Hunt
15. Foulsmellingodour
16. Phototaker
17. Collins

holdzy89

NRL Captain
My latest rendition:

1. Ponga
2. Gagai
3. Munster
4. Mann
5. Holmes
6. Morgan
7. DCE
8. McGuire
9. Grant
10. Papalii
11. Su'A
12. Kaufusi
13. Arrow

14. Hunt
15. Foulsmellingodour
16. Phototaker
17. Collins
Munster 6, someone else (?) centre.

Pretty, pretty...pretty good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.