2020 Round 1 Line up

If Macca is still standing between the ball and where it needs to go even in week one, I don't like Seibold's chances of making it through the season.

Or if Boyd still has the captaincy and is crippling our strike out on the flanks, Herbie/Perese/Coates don't deserve the injustice of being omitted because of an individuals selfishness.

Let the young brigade forge their own identity of play, Macca and Boyd's leadership and conservative game tactics should have ended at Bankwest's 58-0 annihilation.
Otherwise, new half or not - the same rot will fester in 2020.

Last edited:
I refuse to believe any Broncos fan subjected themselves to that Semi Final more than once.
Actually watched that 3 times. If you don't support your team in the bad times you don't deserve to be there in the Good. ... But not sure why I watched another 2times. maybe so I can hate the Eels more...if that's possible.

Actually watched that 3 times. If you don't support your team in the bad times you don't deserve to be there in the Good. ... But not sure why I watched another 2times. maybe so I can hate the Eels more...if that's possible.
ooh. i'm an eels hater too. you've got yourself a fan.

Yep. Coming off the bench he wont be tired from defence. It wasn't that long ago he was great in attack. I wouldn't use him to replace Turpin but one of the middle forwards late in halves. I actually think hell surprise a few people next season if they use him this way.

Yep. Coming off the bench he wont be tired from defence. It wasn't that long ago he was great in attack. I wouldn't use him to replace Turpin but one of the middle forwards late in halves. I actually think hell surprise a few people next season if they use him this way.

I fail to see a reason for using Macca as a speed bump. What a waste of an important bench spot

Speed bump? Macca has great defence. Always has.

In the middle, he would offer nothing else other than briefly slowing down the attacking teams momentum ...
Hey! That's also what he does when he plays hooker!

Last edited:
Imo Macca is worse for our team than Boyd is, it’s just more subtle. His playing style is completely incongruous with how our forward pack play (over the advantage line, attacking, running at the edges). It was clear how much better our team looked with Turpin there throwing wider balls to forwards/halves and engaging the markers. If Macca is in our side from round one we will look exactly the same as we did this year, regardless of having Croft in our team.

Imo Macca is worse for our team than Boyd is, it’s just more subtle. His playing style is completely incongruous with how our forward pack play (over the advantage line, attacking, running at the edges). It was clear how much better our team looked with Turpin there throwing wider balls to forwards/halves and engaging the markers. If Macca is in our side from round one we will look exactly the same as we did this year, regardless of having Croft in our team.

Well said, can’t argue at all.

I'm all for supporting them through the good times and bad, but I'm certainly not watching games like that more than once.

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Boyd (C)
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Haas
9. McCullough
10. Lodge
11. Glenn (C)
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Turpin
15. TPJ
16. Offa
17. Flegler

I think this is the closest we’ll see come round one.
I think Boyd and Glenn will be co-captains this year and then when Boyd is dropped/retires Carrigan comes in as co-captain will Glenn in 2021 before assuming full time captain role once Glenn is gone in 2022.

Boyd will stink it up on the wing unless there is injuries and then hopefully get dropped sooner rather than later for Farnworth.

Macca to start because Turpin won’t play 80 every week just yet. Hopefully this doesn’t last long and somebody else can come on to the bench to cover Turpin if he is going to start.

1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Bird
4. Staggs
5. Boyd (C)
6. Milford
7. Croft
8. Haas
9. McCullough
10. Lodge
11. Glenn (C)
12. Fifita
13. Carrigan

14. Turpin
15. TPJ
16. Offa
17. Flegler

I think this is the closest we’ll see come round one.
I think Boyd and Glenn will be co-captains this year and then when Boyd is dropped/retires Carrigan comes in as co-captain will Glenn in 2021 before assuming full time captain role once Glenn is gone in 2022.

Boyd will stink it up on the wing unless there is injuries and then hopefully get dropped sooner rather than later for Farnworth.

Macca to start because Turpin won’t play 80 every week just yet. Hopefully this doesn’t last long and somebody else can come on to the bench to cover Turpin if he is going to start.

If Macca is back at 9, it's the end of Seibold. He won't last the season.

No co-captains please.
Tend to agree, but announce a vice captain if your captain is unlikely to play the 80. Croft would be a logical choice at VC, but hasn't earned his stripes at the club. If Seibold wants to be diplomatic about it, he might leave Boyd at captain and appoint a stealth captain - like Lodge - at VC, who would then take over when Boyd gets dropped or retires.

Speed bump? Macca has great defence. Always has.
He actually doesn't.. he's just busy with his work rate and being second man in...

His tackles are for the most part support tackles, ineffectively wasting much needed energy that could be spent in attack.

Nothing like Turpin's hits. One on one contact would easily measure stronger and have more impact each time he meets an attacker... Yet he still provides zip and spark from PTB.

He actually doesn't.. he's just busy with his work rate and being second man in...

His tackles are for the most part support tackles, ineffectively wasting much needed energy that could be spent in attack.

Nothing like Turpin's hits. One on one contact would easily measure stronger and have more impact each time he meets an attacker... Yet he still provides zip and spark from PTB.
But reading over your post again I can see you were making that point about attack.

Problem is, a bench hooker is supposed to provide spark. Speed. Pace.

Macca just can't do this

Macca is just a Dummy Half from a different era. Unfortunately the role he plays has shifted dramatically during the course of his career and he's not really been able to adapt with it, though I doubt that is through lack of trying, and more likely because it requires skills and a style that doesn't really work for him naturally.

It's a shame, but it's honestly for the best that we go in another direction with our Dummy Half for now.

Last edited:
Macca is just a Dummy Half from a different era. Unfortunately the role he plays has shifted dramatically during the course of his career and he's not really been able to adapt with it, though I doubt that is through lack of trying, and more likely because it requires skills and a style that doesn't really work for him naturally.

It's a shame, but it's honestly for the best that we go in another direction with our Dummy Half for now.
Exactly right. 10-15 years ago, players could play to 32-33 and bluff their way through. Today, the game is just so fast, and unless you're a genius like Cameron Smith (who never relied on his physical prowess) then age catches up much faster.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.