2022 Draw: Last Win Highlights

Here is the team that finished the season on a convincing high note. In light of that, I think all who are still with us should be considered favourites in these same positions. They should be able to carry that into the trials, and then we talk about what we saw after that.

1. Tesi
2. Corey
3. Selwyn
4. Herbie
5. Xavier
6. Mudfrog
7. Albert
8. Ethan
9. Jake
10. Payne
11. Alex
12. Jordan
13. Kobe

14. Cory
15. David
16. Rhys
17. TC

18. Brodie

Let's now lock in the replacements and certs.

1. Tesi
2. Corey
3. Kotoni
4. Herbie
7. Adam
9. Jake
10. Payne
11. Kurt
12. Jordan
13. Kobe

17. TC (unless he has some kind of suspension)

So that's a wing, 5/8th, prop and three bench positions up for grabs.

I'm Herbie's biggest critic and even I wouldn't be dropping him from centre, if for no other reason than he was the Broncos back of the year in that position. On top of that, his strength is making busts up the middle of the field, something that would be wasted on the wing. Lest he become another Xavier Coates and desert his wing constantly. He's also, for whatever reason, been unable to find the line or do much with the yards he makes. That's going to be Kevvie's biggest challenge: getting these fuckers to support each other. Herbie certainly isn't a lost cause, but there's a lot about his ball skills and game awareness that troubles me.

Whatever, Herbie will stay put.

Tragically, that relegates Selwyn to the vacant wing. Where he also will be wasted. But that alas is where he is in the pecking order. He will have to fight Tesi in the trials if he wants to bag fullback. Most of us expect him to end up there eventually. It's a matter of when, and what to do with Tesi.

I haven't locked in Albert because Tyson was out injured, and would've started had he been fit. Most would be locking Tyson into 6, but I'm retaining Albert and relegating Tyson to the bench. Again, that's a fight for the trials, but for me Albert has a touch more of the spark Adam lacks, while Adam brings everything else we've been missing.

Kevvie will be losing a lot of sleep over 6. He won't want a rerun of the last five years of musical chairs. He's going to have to make his choice and stick with it.

Tom will still be suspended so he's out of consideration for starting Prop. Patty or Ryan will take the number 8. The other will take the bench.

So that leaves two bench spots. I already have Tyson there as a utility, with Cory Paix dropped to the Reserve. If Tyson takes 6, then Cory is better suited to utility and Albert gets dropped from the squad. This is the more likely scenario.

The remaining bench spot goes to whichever forward is the fittest. My hunch is Ryan or Keenan. Xavier Willison is still recovering. Brendan Piakura duffed his one chance and will have to fight his way back into contention. Or it goes to a centre like Mead or Lee. Depends how many forwards Kevvie wants to carry.

The only other player I can see upsetting the cart is Jamayne. I have no idea where he ranks in the bigger scheme of things.
Basically completely agree with you except for Gamble on the bench instead of Paix - but we’ve had that discussion before. I just don’t think Turpin is an 80 minute hooker and i definitely don’t think Gamble is a hooker. Also both Paix and Turpin are capable of playing in the halves and Turpin can play lock if needed, so I don’t even see a utility advantage by playing Gamble. He’s either the 6 or he isn’t and I have no solid argument for who should start with the 6 - it’ll probably be based on how well Albert does in the pre-season.

Here is the team that finished the season on a convincing high note. In light of that, I think all who are still with us should be considered favourites in these same positions. They should be able to carry that into the trials, and then we talk about what we saw after that.

1. Tesi
2. Corey
3. Selwyn
4. Herbie
5. Xavier
6. Mudfrog
7. Albert
8. Ethan
9. Jake
10. Payne
11. Alex
12. Jordan
13. Kobe

14. Cory
15. David
16. Rhys
17. TC

18. Brodie

Let's now lock in the replacements and certs.

1. Tesi
2. Corey
3. Kotoni
4. Herbie
7. Adam
9. Jake
10. Payne
11. Kurt
12. Jordan
13. Kobe

17. TC (unless he has some kind of suspension)

So that's a wing, 5/8th, prop and three bench positions up for grabs.

I'm Herbie's biggest critic and even I wouldn't be dropping him from centre, if for no other reason than he was the Broncos back of the year in that position. On top of that, his strength is making busts up the middle of the field, something that would be wasted on the wing. Lest he become another Xavier Coates and desert his wing constantly. He's also, for whatever reason, been unable to find the line or do much with the yards he makes. That's going to be Kevvie's biggest challenge: getting these fuckers to support each other. Herbie certainly isn't a lost cause, but there's a lot about his ball skills and game awareness that troubles me.

Whatever, Herbie will stay put.

Tragically, that relegates Selwyn to the vacant wing. Where he also will be wasted. But that alas is where he is in the pecking order. He will have to fight Tesi in the trials if he wants to bag fullback. Most of us expect him to end up there eventually. It's a matter of when, and what to do with Tesi.

I haven't locked in Albert because Tyson was out injured, and would've started had he been fit. Most would be locking Tyson into 6, but I'm retaining Albert and relegating Tyson to the bench. Again, that's a fight for the trials, but for me Albert has a touch more of the spark Adam lacks, while Adam brings everything else we've been missing.

Kevvie will be losing a lot of sleep over 6. He won't want a rerun of the last five years of musical chairs. He's going to have to make his choice and stick with it.

Tom will still be suspended so he's out of consideration for starting Prop. Patty or Ryan will take the number 8. The other will take the bench.

So that leaves two bench spots. I already have Tyson there as a utility, with Cory Paix dropped to the Reserve. If Tyson takes 6, then Cory is better suited to utility and Albert gets dropped from the squad. This is the more likely scenario.

The remaining bench spot goes to whichever forward is the fittest. My hunch is Ryan or Keenan. Xavier Willison is still recovering. Brendan Piakura duffed his one chance and will have to fight his way back into contention. Or it goes to a centre like Mead or Lee. Depends how many forwards Kevvie wants to carry.

The only other player I can see upsetting the cart is Jamayne. I have no idea where he ranks in the bigger scheme of things.
I've been thinking lately carrying gamble/Kelly and paix on the bench would be great and definetly achievable. Turpin could shift to lock or 20 mins when Paix is on, then off for 20 mins completely. With haas and carrigan both best playing 50-65 mins (carrigan will need to build up again post acl), our 2nd rowers now 80 min players, hethrington hopefully building to 50 mins, and Turpin playing 10-20 mins in the middle it means we'd only need to find Max 70 mins in the middle bar injury. If injury happens to any forward the other bench forward is more then capable of picking up more (james, flegler, robati, palasia can all play 50 mins when necessary, and all bar flegler play 2nd row as needed with the other middles capable of more mins or paix and Turpin absolute emergency middles for their defensive capabilities).

I just think it's a better balanced side actually. The competition in the middle will mean the 2 bench forwards will perform or perish too. I'd even consider Cobbo OCCAISONALLY (so not to ruin his development)

Basically completely agree with you except for Gamble on the bench instead of Paix - but we’ve had that discussion before. I just don’t think Turpin is an 80 minute hooker and i definitely don’t think Gamble is a hooker. Also both Paix and Turpin are capable of playing in the halves and Turpin can play lock if needed, so I don’t even see a utility advantage by playing Gamble. He’s either the 6 or he isn’t and I have no solid argument for who should start with the 6 - it’ll probably be based on how well Albert does in the pre-season.
I think with all the rules changes there are going to be less and less 80min hookers. Especially if you end up defending alot. Agree a turpin/paix combo works best.

Round 11: Knights
Round 25 2021 - Suncorp

Round 12: Titans
Round 8 2021 - Suncorp

Round 13: Raiders
Round 16 2018 - Suncorp

Round 14: Storm
Round 25 2016 - AAMI Park
(sorry, this is the only video I could find)

Round 15: Cowboys
Round 1 - 2020 - QLD Country Bank Stadium

Worth noting that we beat 9 of our first 15 2022 opponents in the 2021 season (if you count the teams we play twice)

Worth forgetting, we apparently haven't beaten the Storm in over half a decade

Round 11: Knights
Round 25 2021 - Suncorp

Round 12: Titans
Round 8 2021 - Suncorp

Round 13: Raiders
Round 16 2018 - Suncorp

Round 14: Storm
Round 25 2016 - AAMI Park
(sorry, this is the only video I could find)

Round 15: Cowboys
Round 1 - 2020 - QLD Country Bank Stadium

Good to see Boyd was even getting beaten all ends up at fullback (by Cam Smith no less) way back in 2016.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.