2023 Broncos Jersey and Sponsorship discussion

Really making the most of the Dolphins not having a geographical location
I never looked at it like that but.....yes
you're right.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

It is really bizarre. Are they embarrassed to be from Redcliffe? Why hide it? It’s not a little town of 5 people. When you think we had Balmain with 10K people Redcliffe is 6x that. I know it’s Wests etc, but don’t pretend you’re something else Dolphins…
You’re not all encompassing 🙄 you’re not the Queensland Dolphins ffs.

It is really bizarre. Are they embarrassed to be from Redcliffe? Why hide it? It’s not a little town of 5 people. When you think we had Balmain with 10K people Redcliffe is 6x that. I know it’s Wests etc, but don’t pretend you’re something else Dolphins…
You’re not all encompassing 🙄 you’re not the Queensland Dolphins ffs.

that's easy to answer mate.

the NRL were worried that if they called themselves the Redcliffe Dolphins, people may not consider them a Brisbane team.

and the NRL desperately wanted a second Brisbane team to take market share off us ... because even when we sucked, we still had bigger crowds and TV ratings than the vast majority of NSW teams.

in order to get that licence, Redcliffe sold out and agreed not to call themselves Redcliffe, under the flimsy excuse of wanting to appeal to a bigger area than just the peninsula. It doesn't appear that worked as everyone still considers them to be the Redcliffe Dolphins ... they should simply rebrand now they have the licence. they could easily sell it as wanting to embrace their history

the NRL were worried that if they called themselves the Redcliffe Dolphins, people may not consider them a Brisbane team.

and the NRL desperately wanted a second Brisbane team to take market share off us ... because even when we sucked, we still had bigger crowds and TV ratings than the vast majority of NSW teams.

in order to get that licence, Redcliffe sold out and agreed not to call themselves Redcliffe, under the flimsy excuse of wanting to appeal to a bigger area than just the peninsula. It doesn't appear that worked as everyone still considers them to be the Redcliffe Dolphins ... they should simply rebrand now they have the licence. they could easily sell it as wanting to embrace their history
How many professional sport teams don't have a geographical location or description in their name? It's just weird.

You speak the truth @Foordy, you speak the truth. I’ve said it before and say it again. Winning takes care of everything!

How many professional sport teams don't have a geographical location or description in their name? It's just weird.
Not just weird, fkn stupid. It’s about tribalism and belonging. Imagine they handed out a Blue and Red uniform before each game. You’re the red team and you’re the blue team. And don’t anyone reply with “That’s Origin” coz that’s earned.

Not just weird, fkn stupid. It’s about tribalism and belonging. Imagine they handed out a Blue and Red uniform before each game. You’re the red team and you’re the blue team. And don’t anyone reply with “That’s Origin” coz that’s earned.
Besides, you want to hate the other team (respectfully of course) just because… because the roosters are Bondi tossers. Imagine it’s all just a name and no real home ground. Everyone just plays all around the country… fk that.

It was also something to do with copyright

Winning takes care of everything!
The roosters are the perfect example. 11-12 years ago when they picked up the spoon and were shithouse, they had a handful of rusted on real supporters. They’d get 5-7K to a game. Now that they are and have been successful, they have a heap of bandwagon supporters. They now get an impressive 13-14K to a home game 😂

It was also something to do with copyright

What copyright?

They're already called the Redcliffe Dolphins. Surely they aren't going to sue themselves.

I don't recall any copyright talk, so happy to be proven wrong if you've got statements from Vlandys or Dolphins execs ... all the talk was about appealing to a wider base than just the peninsula

Edit: you're not thinking about when the Titans came in are you ... if you'll recall they initially wanted to be called the Gold Coast Dolphins... until Redcliffe got the lawyers involved.

What copyright?

They're already called the Redcliffe Dolphins. Surely they aren't going to sue themselves.

I don't recall any copyright talk, so happy to be proven wrong if you've got statements from Vlandys or Dolphins execs ... all the talk was about appealing to a wider base than just the peninsula

Edit: you're not thinking about when the Titans came in are you ... if you'll recall they initially wanted to be called the Gold Coast Dolphins... until Redcliffe got the lawyers involved.
I’m trying to remember where I heard it recently. I think it was n the first episode of Dawn of the Dolphins or whatever it’s called.

Cant remember the exact details but something about having to keep it seperate from the Redcliffe Dolphins.

I’m trying to remember where I heard it recently. I think it was n the first episode of Dawn of the Dolphins or whatever it’s called.

Cant remember the exact details but something about having to keep it seperate from the Redcliffe Dolphins.

Maybe they're trying to come up with another excuse for selling out, since no one bought their first.

Because if this was true I can't understand why they were going with this one publicly from the get go .... it would have been a much better reason to drop a location from their name than the BS they've been using

Didn't they get support from both Redcliffe and a Moreton Bay organisation and promised both that they would use their location as the location of the NRL side?

Then there was a big tussle between those who had financially backed them in Moreton Bay and those in Redcliffe for the name, and they settled it by being 'The' Dolphins and not having a location?

If I remember correctly Petero was involved in the Moreton Bay financial support somehow? Maybe I'm just getting things confused in my head, but it seems a much more likely explanation and now they're just trying to save face with their explanation.

Warriors persist with it and in the did it and went back camp- Sharks and Bulldogs.

League went broader and Balmain, Easts and Bulldogs all dropped their suburb name and went to Sydney and then Bulldogs went to just Bulldogs for 10 years then went back to Canterbury Bankstown.

Cronulla dropped the Cronulla Sutherland and was just Sharks.

Warriors persist with it and in the did it and went back camp- Sharks and Bulldogs.

League went broader and Balmain, Easts and Bulldogs all dropped their suburb name and went to Sydney and then Bulldogs went to just Bulldogs for 10 years then went back to Canterbury Bankstown.

Cronulla dropped the Cronulla Sutherland and was just Sharks.
Yeah they all tried it but they’re all back to having a location or suburb, except the Warriors who are a poorly run club that struggles against one of the most boring sports to exist.

Now let’s go through teams outside of the NRL which is mostly run by idiots.

I believe it's got something to do with the QRL

Yeah they all tried it but they’re all back to having a location or suburb, except the Warriors who are a poorly run club that struggles against one of the most boring sports to exist.

Now let’s go through teams outside of the NRL which is mostly run by idiots.
Arsenal
Juventis
The Rangers

The above are just off the top of my head but I’m sure there are more. you could also make an argument that Golden State Warriors counts but they are obviously based in California

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Manofoneway
  • Wolfie
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Griffo
  • IceWorks
  • I bleed Maroon
  • achievedrap
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • heartly87
  • BroncoFan94
  • Sproj
  • Nerd
  • Locky field goal
  • Ejbroncos
  • Tmac
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • Strop
  • broncos4life
... and 49 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.