POST GAME 2023 NRL Grand Final - Penrith vs Brisbane

It took one of the all time great NRL teams and one of the most dominant grand final performances in rugby league history to beat us.

Our young team shot themselves in the foot early and it was a heartbreaking result, but there’s still heaps to be proud of.

Most importantly, we have the core of a fantastic young squad who will only improve and have Kevvie and DD guiding the ship forward.

Regardless of the result, the Broncos are still back and there’s still bright times ahead. We will be okay boys.

unless Nathan fully commits to his Michael Jordan trajectory and makes a shock transition to baseball, I think the Panthers will be okay.

He is still at the age that most halves are being spoken about in terms of “be patient, he’s still learning his craft”.

3 premierships (back to back)
3 minor prems
4 grand final appearances
2 Clive Churchill medals
2 x dally m halfback of the year
84% career goal kicking
3 origin series wins

I’ve been praying for this kid to be the next Mitchell Pearce for 6 years now and there’s no more use in it. He’s unbelievably special
When he came back from one off-season 10kg heavier and able to run the ball like a backrower on top of his halfback skills, it was game over for the rest of the league.

What was telling was watching Penrith in the last 20, they didn't look for the big play early in the set.
They got into the grind then knew when to strike a blow.
Absolute faith in their 7 and they are more than happy to get him where he wants to be. It simplifies the task for all their forwards.
Kevie should have gone full Cobra Kai on him. Sweep the leg.
I miss Locky.

It took one of the all time great NRL teams and one of the most dominant grand final performances in rugby league history to beat us.

Our young team shot themselves in the foot early and it was a heartbreaking result, but there’s still heaps to be proud of.

Most importantly, we have the core of a fantastic young squad who will only improve and have Kevvie and DD guiding the ship forward.

Regardless of the result, the Broncos are still back and there’s still bright times ahead. We will be okay boys.
100% agree but I worry we have no one that is a big body intimidator like Flegler. He really stood up in leading into and during the finals campaign and when a big shot was needed or manhandling an edge runner or back he was there. Who is going to fill that agressive nature he brings?

100% agree but I worry we have no one that is a big body intimidator like Flegler. He really stood up in leading into and during the finals campaign and when a big shot was needed or manhandling an edge runner or back he was there. Who is going to fill that agressive nature he brings?

I love Flegler and the way he plays, and last night he had an enormous game.. but he is also a liability in todays game… how many times this year have we seen his intimidation and aggressiveness be penalised or seen him sent off even when he does nothing wrong. Unfortunately that’s just the way the game is now, and I’d argue that someone like Jensen - while not an enforcer - can probably close to replicate his output on the field without the potential for brain snaps / errors.

Not to mention exciting young prospects like Willison coming through.

I think we’ll be ok. I think Herbie is the bigger loss, but let’s see.

I love Flegler and the way he plays, and last night he had an enormous game.. but he is also a liability in todays game… how many times this year have we seen his intimidation and aggressiveness be penalised or seen him sent off even when he does nothing wrong. Unfortunately that’s just the way the game is now, and I’d argue that someone like Jensen - while not an enforcer - can probably close to replicate his output on the field without the potential for brain snaps / errors.

Not to mention exciting young prospects like Willison coming through.

I think we’ll be ok. I think Herbie is the bigger loss, but let’s see.
Flegs has only just turned 24 and coming into his prime. Massive loss IMO. He was really starting to find that balance between agression and going to far. Haas, Carigan Flegler is a hell of corner stone but not to be unfortunately

Flegs has only just turned 24 and coming into his prime. Massive loss IMO. He was really starting to find that balance between agression and going to far. Haas, Carigan Flegler is a hell of corner stone but not to be unfortunately

That's the biggest concern, finding someone should be easy, but getting them to fit into an already firing pack will be difficult.

It will be the year of the Willison in 2024.....

Simon Rex Good Luck GIF by Simon Rex / Dirt Nasty

I think it started to unravel post 2015 when we lost Bhunt... they made the decision that Milf would basically become our halfback and he was then required to do absolutely everything for us.

In 2016 he was cruising along and was looking every bit one of the best players in the game and then he did his shoulder... can't recall if he went for surgery straight away or if he had to battle out the rest of the year with the injury and get a reconstruction post season.... but because of that he misses an entire preseason

That same preseason Bhunt signs for dragons and I think Bennett starts future planning and goes all in on Milf being the lead playmaker and onfield general (I believe Bhunt was dropped and shifted to hooker throughout 2017??)... and then in 2017 Milf does his shoulder again and misses the entire preseason where he would've started the transition to being the 7.

They compounded these issues by never giving him a halves partner post Bhunt... and from then on it was Milf with no supporting cast. His 'halfback' was a mix of Kodi and Bird, his fullback was falling apart physically and the hooker was just a tacklebot with no speed.

At times in 2019 Milf was playing 1, 6 & 7 at the same time... and was still our best player on the field whilst dealing with a hammy injury on top of that.
I can't remember a shoulder injury in 2016. I remember his form just started to dip on the eve of the representative season. Brisbane lost a heart-breaker to the Cowboys and then suffered a shock upset at home against the Tigers. It was in this game the Broncos really needed their halves to step up, but Milford was exposed as a one trick pony.

Milford was great running that second man shape, but without the usual contingent giving him good ball, he was virtually invisible.

Then Milford just lost that half a pace of speed that made him so threatening. He still had some skillful moments, but he just never took the initiative or took the smart options.

I can't remember a shoulder injury in 2016. I remember his form just started to dip on the eve of the representative season. Brisbane lost a heart-breaker to the Cowboys and then suffered a shock upset at home against the Tigers. It was in this game the Broncos really needed their halves to step up, but Milford was exposed as a one trick pony.

Milford was great running that second man shape, but without the usual contingent giving him good ball, he was virtually invisible.

Then Milford just lost that half a pace of speed that made him so threatening. He still had some skillful moments, but he just never took the initiative or took the smart options.

Origin I’m pretty sure is the one they’re referring to?

Dived for a ball and like hyper-extended his shoulder the wrong way when he landed outstretched

Origin I’m pretty sure is the one they’re referring to?

Dived for a ball and like hyper-extended his shoulder the wrong way when he landed outstretched
Milford didn't make his Origin debut until 2017. Remember he was suspended earlier in the year for breaking curfew after Valentine got in trouble with the law.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the South Sydney game where Cook shoved him off the ball?

Milford didn't make his Origin debut until 2017. Remember he was suspended earlier in the year for breaking curfew after Valentine got in trouble with the law.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the South Sydney game where Cook shoved him off the ball?

Yeah right I wasn’t sure, I just remember he fucked it one time doing that

My memory thinks it was in an origin but can’t be 100%

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.