POST GAME 2023 NRL Grand Final - Penrith vs Brisbane

1. Walsh … rocks n diamonds but a few too many rocks
2. Cobbo … fairly invisible
3. Staggs … did his job but didn’t step up
4. Herbie … pretty good performance , we are going to miss him
5. Arthars … probably his best game of the season
6. Ezra … our best back by a fair margain
7. Reynolds … groin injury seemed to really affect him , I think he got inside his own head and wasn’t playing cool and calm as he usually does
8. Haas … epic
9. Walters 40/20 was great , everything else sub par
10. Flags … great game, can hold his head high
11. Capes … average , missed the tackle on clearly that let them back in
12. Riki … I thought he was really good. Just solid in D all night.
13. Carrigan … was on the field too long didn’t have his usual impact , frustrating performance

14. Smoothy … definitely the better dummy half , we looked composed the whole time he was on the field and frustrated they took him back off . I actually think he was a real point of difference
15. Palasia … he was really good
Hetherington and Piakura both had nights to forget and were a reason for the momentum swing in my opinion

Overall, average performance … and I’m really pissed off

The only time we shut it down was Staggs rushing up and nailing him. That was the blueprint move up in numbers and just halt him ffs
Staggs must've been the only one that realised he was the only one needing to be shut down

Haas did what he needed to do. If we win he probably is in contention for Clive Churchill.

Payne didnt really play any differently to how he plays every week. Its going to be difficult for him to go super saiyan and go up levels because his consistency of performance is so high as a baseline compared to say Flegler tonight ( who was excellent ) or say like Patty on his Origin debut. If he ever manages that look out.

Leniu has 25mins in him max, never will be a starter. Flegler however, we stick with him and now showing what we wanted….gone. Herbie massive, I love marinar but not the same…huge loss.

Adam was poor tonight, he didn’t control anything.

Reece will grow but mannnnnn tonight will play on him.

I can’t actually believe this has happened (again) I was genuinely not expecting a win, but I was excited after last try and my heart has been ripped like 2015 but worse.
Who are they going to replace Leniu with off the bench? He’s the only quality reserve they’ve got. Smith was putrid tonight as was Garner so it doesn’t appear as though they have much forward quality in the wings. They have been an incredible team but a few holes are showing up in their side. The Penrith of last year would’ve absolutely torn us apart in the first half with the amount of possession they had.

That said, we need blokes like Mariner and Willison to stand up and Ezra and Walsh to improve to get back to this point. We also got so lucky with injuries this year. This hurts

First one of the night and the panthers score. Second one goes out on full and they get 2 points. And then did them in the second half and they scored off the set. He also didn’t kick on last twice in the final 20 minutes and he missed the tackle on Cleary for the try, he cost us.

Payne didnt really play any differently to how he plays every week. Its going to be difficult for him to go super saiyan and go up levels because his consistency of performance is so high as a baseline compared to say Flegler tonight ( who was excellent ) or say like Patty on his Origin debut. If he ever manages that look out.
Patty didn’t tonight….I’m truly shocked, I was expecting origin debut.

I think saying our line speed was terrible takes away from just the Penrith juggernaught. Keeping them to 1 try in the first half absolutely killed our legs late 2nd half.

At 24-8, we let them get a foot back in the game and Cleary went nuts.

The Herbie one arm slinging offload on early tackle is unfortunately a huge turning point.

Reynolds needed to grab us by the collar and he unfortunately fell away a little too. I will say, the swirling wind didn't help us late for kick metres either. Seemed we were running into it and they had everything behind them.

I'm just gutted, but especially for Ezra. That 2nd half performance deserved a ring.

Any chance we can make billy Walters the whipping boy for that last try?

I joke guys it was a team wide choke haha.

2015 must have been to steel us, we are taking it relatively well compared and considering the choke.
First cut is the deepest

Just as heartbreaking as 2015. It may even be worse considering that we were in total control with 20 to go. Words fail me.

But from a personal level, it's been a very memorable season for me. Watching them from pubs in Phuket, Bangkok and Singapore and then tuning in during the middle of the night in places such as Frisco, NYC, the Windy City, Vancouver, Banff etc.

I witnessed this club get their mojo back from afar and it was fucking incredible. The Bronco's achievements this year have been mind blowing and best of all, this club is back on the map and will be contending till infinity.

I'm going to kill my self
I fucking hate the Broncos mate, but no game is ever worth this. I hope this is poorly placed hyperbole, but please don't let this take you down that path as even a passing thought. Rugby League is the greatest game of all, and there can only be one winner. Good thing is it happens all again next year.

Who are they going to replace Leniu with off the bench? He’s the only quality reserve they’ve got. Smith was putrid tonight as was Garner so it doesn’t appear as though they have much forward quality in the wings. They have been an incredible team but a few holes are showing up in their side. The Penrith of last year would’ve absolutely torn us apart in the first half with the amount of possession they had.

That said, we need blokes like Mariner and Willison to stand up and Ezra and Walsh to improve to get back to this point. We also got so lucky with injuries this year. This hurts
They’re supposed to be the future but keep getting injured.

Biggest choke of all time. Shocking defence in the last 20. Feel so sorry for Ezra he just played the game of his life and was let down by some of his team mates. Reynolds and capewell were not good enough.
I see this playing the same mind game 2015 did. This isn’t like the panthers losing their first gf….this was an all time choke, hard to get over that.

Patty didn’t tonight….I’m truly shocked, I was expecting origin debut.

He didnt, but as i've mentioned, i think that first half took way too much out of his tank ( as it did with most of us ). Coming off the bench fresh in Origin probably allowed him to do more damage. We were on the back foot tonight for most of the first half and it showed with him. He still got through a lot of work, but in the kind of intensity in the game tonight i dont think we should be playing him for 71 mins. I think to get the best out of him, like with Payne, we need to bring him off earlier.

I just don’t know how I can switch off now, I’m sick and it doesn’t feel real.
It was party time in my household after Mam’s third but there was a little voice saying “it’s not over”.
From then we turned it over chasing more immediate points and I could feel it slip every moment since.
Cleary is just different, he quite frankly put the whole team on his back and dragged them to another title.

Does it hurt more than 15?
For me yeah, there was actually a moment I thought we’ve won this its
too many points for them to chase.
Wow.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.