2023 State of Origin Discussion

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Details regarding the scheduling of games have been released. Adelaide are set to host the first game, with Suncorp hosting the second and Accor hosting the third.

Game I - Adelaide Oval (May 31)
Game II - Suncorp Stadium (June 21)
Game III - Accor Stadium (July 12)

All games back to being on Wednesday night.

Taking the game to somewhere other than Brisbane or Sydney should happen every other year imo. I miss trading the home ground advantage over the series - plus two games at Suncorp.

Details regarding the scheduling of games have been released. Adelaide are set to host the first game, with Suncorp hosting the second and Accor hosting the third.

Game I - Adelaide Oval (May 31)
Game II - Suncorp Stadium (June 21)
Game III - Accor Stadium (July 12)

All games back to being on Wednesday night.

I've already seen this schedule being used as an excuse in the event the Blues lose the 2023 series

I've already seen this schedule being used as an excuse in the event the Blues lose the 2023 series
I think it benefits them more. A decider at Suncorp has proven to be their cryptonite last thing they would want. Not like they would ever play the two home and away games upfront and a decider in neutral territory both states would riot.

Walsh QLD 1 on Merit for now.

Ponga was insanely good for us last year. He deserves a pick and stick.

QLD is totally stacked for middle forwards. 2 of these guys will miss out you'd imagine:

Welch, Papalii, Carrigan, Tino, Cotter, Collins, Hopgood (there's also Arrow who can play in the middle)

Very real possibility we won't be seeing Ponga this series.

Ponga reminds me a bit of Gagai. Average club form, but finds another gear when paying for QLD.

Agreed, qld pick and stick etc. I can't see Ponga playing too much football over the next month or so though tbh. Walsh would be in the box seat I imagine, should that come to pass.

Ponga should be sitting out a few months. If he is fit, rightfully #1, but Walsh is likely 2nd in line.

Unless Ponga is injured or his form absoultley drops off a cliff no way is Walsh getting in front of him yet for QLD. Ponga was immense last series, they should rightly stick with him for now. Walsh just need to keep the pressure on him with his form.
I have never understood this. You should pick the best players. We lost because we didn't pick Oates last year, we desperately needed his metres from our half. Form from 365 days ago is irrelevant.

I don't think Corey Oates was single handily going to make a difference, not when the team lost by 32 points. Queensland lost because their left hand-side tore Queensland apart and the Maroons threw in the towel knowing they had Game III to get things right. If any winger deserved to be dropped after the game, it was Cobbo.

I will say if Walsh continues to play as well as he did in Round 2, it's going to take a hell of an effort from Ponga to retain his jersey. If he's got 10+ tries, 20+ LBAs etc. it'd be foolish to leave him out.

Then again, it could backfire like it did in 2008 when the selectors went on form and went Slater > Hunt at fullback.

I have never understood this. You should pick the best players. We lost because we didn't pick Oates last year, we desperately needed his metres from our half. Form from 365 days ago is irrelevant.
It's what we generally do in Origin unless a player has just dropped massively in form. If we went on form players like Nate Myles probably wouldn't have got picked as much as they did. Plenty of players who were good in the NRL just couldn't hack it in Origin.

I don't think Corey Oates was single handily going to make a difference, not when the team lost by 32 points. Queensland lost because their left hand-side tore Queensland apart and the Maroons threw in the towel knowing they had Game III to get things right. If any winger deserved to be dropped after the game, it was Cobbo.

I will say if Walsh continues to play as well as he did in Round 2, it's going to take a hell of an effort from Ponga to retain his jersey. If he's got 10+ tries, 20+ LBAs etc. it'd be foolish to leave him out.

Then again, it could backfire like it did in 2008 when the selectors went on form and went Slater > Hunt at fullback.
One of the reasons we lost is because we were stuck in our own half and not making those metres. Oates changed the way we played massively.

If Nanai's current form continues he can't be picked, scoring tries doesn't mean you've played well.

Rd1: 4 runs 41m, 26 tackles 4 missed
Rd2: 4 runs 31m, 26 tackles 8 missed

Where are all the people saying he is clearly better than Fifita?

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.