2024 NRL General Discussion Thread

Even if that were true, how many wins did they have in a row to start last year? I'm sure it was at least 4...
The Battle of Brisbane was Round 4, so their current record is just three wins.

I'm actually interested to see if Gould beats the 20k fine for his comments about the NRL.

If he is successful, that would mean that the likes of Ricky Stuart and Trent Robinson could protect themselves from any future fine.

All they have to do is get themselves hired by a media organisation to give some form of commentary once a week. Then let rip on that program instead of the presser ... They could therefore claim, like Gus has, that their comments were made in their position as a commentator, not a club official

I hope the Panthers win and every other club who gets poached from also benefits, which of course includes us.
It won’t work that way, they will get the benefit but it will be a one off or exceptional circumstance. Kind of like how Taylan May can attack a member of the of the public and have his suspension held off until next year for the fans as well as all the media not call him out for the filthy little scum bag he is. #JustPantherThings

Good for Ivan. I don't ever remember Brisbane applying pressure publicly for something similar?

Dave was upset after the departure of Coates and felt the system was broken.

I could see the media arguing that the Broncos painted the way moving forward with the Karl Oloapu transfer. I don't believe the $500,000 transfer fee, but I'm sure they'll cite it moving forward.

Everyone agrees that the current system is broken and something needs to be done to encourage clubs to bring players through. I'd argue that the Broncos themselves could be better in this regard as they seem to cherry-pick the sure-fire talents and let the rest walk. I've lost track of the amount of players who were with the Broncos at 16, only to find themselves playing U/19s for a different club because the club has decided they're only going to put their resources into a Cody Black or somebody of that ilk.

Dave was upset after the departure of Coates and felt the system was broken.

I could see the media arguing that the Broncos painted the way moving forward with the Karl Oloapu transfer. I don't believe the $500,000 transfer fee, but I'm sure they'll cite it moving forward.

Everyone agrees that the current system is broken and something needs to be done to encourage clubs to bring players through. I'd argue that the Broncos themselves could be better in this regard as they seem to cherry-pick the sure-fire talents and let the rest walk. I've lost track of the amount of players who were with the Broncos at 16, only to find themselves playing U/19s for a different club because the club has decided they're only going to put their resources into a Cody Black or somebody of that ilk.

Why should the Broncs or anyone really keep investing in wider talent under the current system though? There is no benefit whatsoever in doing so because as soon as you start seeing all this talent coming through Ala Penrith, the vultures just swoop in and take all the investment you’ve put in and you get absolutely no return for it.

Why should the Broncs or anyone really keep investing in wider talent under the current system though? There is no benefit whatsoever in doing so because as soon as you start seeing all this talent coming through Ala Penrith, the vultures just swoop in and take all the investment you’ve put in and you get absolutely no return for it.
That was what I was aiming at. The Broncos recognised that they were just wasting time and money if they tried to develop a squad of players. So instead of investing in the fringe talents, they stuck with the three or so sure-fire bets and would let the rest fend for themselves at a certain age.

Ideally that shouldn't be the case and the NRL ought to encourage clubs to invest in junior development to help improve the quality of the competition and create a surplus of talent so the game can expand.

I still believe there is a benefit to quality junior pathways but clubs rarely see the benefit because they get desperate and tend to fast-track players before they're ready. Clubs like the Wests Tigers for instance had some of the best young talent in 2010 but only made the finals once because of poor management.

It won’t work that way, they will get the benefit but it will be a one off or exceptional circumstance. Kind of like how Taylan May can attack a member of the of the public and have his suspension held off until next year for the fans as well as all the media not call him out for the filthy little scum bag he is. #JustPantherThings
Did he ever actually serve that suspension? IIRC he did his ACL before he had a chance to, and I don't think he missed any games on his return.

Wouldnt mind a 2.5 %cap discount for every year put into developement might even see more money invested at a younger age,say the club starts pumping money into under 8s football and you identify year after year the better players from each age grp to keep investing in after 10 years you potentially have a 18 year old that you are getting a 25% discount on the cap for.

Did he ever actually serve that suspension? IIRC he did his ACL before he had a chance to, and I don't think he missed any games on his return.
Not sure but wouldn’t surprise me if he was allowed to ‘serve’ while injured.

Not sure but wouldn’t surprise me if he was allowed to ‘serve’ while injured.

He got to serve the suspension while injured. I couldn't remember what happened with it either and brought it up after he took out Walsh. Big Pete confirmed it for me.

How the NRL can sit there and force Staggs to serve his suspension after injury but not May and be ok with it I will ever know.

You will never get every decision right in the heat of the moment but goodness me, when you have time to sit down and go through it and it is your one and only job, how do you be so inconsistent AND not be accountable?

Cleary is in dreamland. Clubs arent stealing their players, they are offering out of contract players a contract. Its that simple. If Katoa had a clear path to first grade with a realistic chance of playing, he wouldnt be at the Dolphins. Its not all about the salary cap pressures.

The Battle of Brisbane was Round 4, so their current record is just three wins.

Thanks. I thought it was later than that, as we were the only two unbeaten clubs at that point.

Active Now

• Yellowfella
  • Gaz
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.