2024 NRL General Discussion Thread

Given a good training program and some time, nutrition, etc. I can see them competing. In the Rugby already the Fijian Drua are a force. Same could be said for the indigenous players in our league. There are surely some big bodies out there, and it will give a better selection, and be better overall for PNG.

I just hope it does not turn into some kind of extortionate program for the NRL or Australia in general. The PNG-ans LOVE the game, and that passion really should return to Australia. If we use something they love to basically change their nation as a whole, use them as some sort of weird political or sporting experiment, I would be fully against that.

On another point, I hope it does not end up like Canberra, where players go to earn or break out and then leave because nobody wants to be there. I hope PNG doesn't turn into some kind of isolated team made up only of PNG-ans like some kind of weird ethnic novelty act. I dislike that idea entirely, but I do understand that in the early days it will be likely that a team from one place has a disproportionate number of indigenous PNG-ans.

What I am saying is, that PNG will ultimately struggle if they are only selecting from PNG-ans and don't also purchase players from the normal NRL market. Thus, players should also be incentivised to transfer to PNG, which will also benefit the PNG economy.

However, I do see this move as becoming quite heavily political quite fast.

My guess is that they'll have any players with PNG heritage exempt from the cap, and then the full cap that every other team has to recruit non-PNG players as well. It's the easiest way to get them to have a decent contingent of PNG players but still being competitive.

But as @Browny said, we're already stretched for talent in the NRL, this will thin it out even further. Do we look at proportionally reducing the salary cap per team to spread out the talent? Ie, whatever the total of the cap x 17 teams is now, have that same total but divided by 18 or 19 teams.

My guess is that they'll have any players with PNG heritage exempt from the cap, and then the full cap that every other team has to recruit non-PNG players as well. It's the easiest way to get them to have a decent contingent of PNG players but still being competitive.

But as @Browny said, we're already stretched for talent in the NRL, this will thin it out even further. Do we look at proportionally reducing the salary cap per team to spread out the talent? Ie, whatever the total of the cap x 17 teams is now, have that same total but divided by 18 or 19 teams.
That last part means you're taking money away from the players (RLPA won't allow that to happen) and also the clubs because their grant from the NRL will be reduced due to the reduced salary cap, which they won't accept either.

The It Crowd Popcorn GIF

This will definitely cause a huge wealth disparity in PNG, I reckon. Not that there isn't one already, but I can only see this going really wonky in terms of a societal fallout.
I agree with @Browny about the stretched talent. As it stands, adding the Dolphins caused a heap of problems regarding compliance and all these exemptions, etc.
There needs to be some forethought, whereby a team is able to build over like 5 years, and then integrate into the NRL. The NRL just wants to fast-track everything and make as much money as quickly as possible. They don't care about the long-term problems it will cause.

That last part means you're taking money away from the players (RLPA won't allow that to happen) and also the clubs because their grant from the NRL will be reduced due to the reduced salary cap, which they won't accept either.
This 100%. No way they can start reducing the cap. If anything it will stagnate and our big names will look at rugby, etc.
The NRL have a few investigations going, lol

They're also investigating fans for racially abusing Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell

plus fans at CommBank for throwing a bottle at a touch judge
Weren't there 2 off-duty cops who did this?
Surprised they saw it lol
Did the touchie see it if he got hit?
🤣

so apparently today, the company that owed $250k to Ponga has finally paid him. and the case is "set to be" closed.

The company is Native Mineral Resources.

The Knights CEO, Phil Gardner, is now a non-executive director of Native Mineral Resources but is believed to have joined the company AFTER Ponga was given the NRL approved third-party deal.

The managing director and CEO of Native Mineral Resources is a man named Blake Cannavo. Cannavo is considered as the right hand man for Phil Gardner and is Colloquially known as “Phil’s handbag” around the Knights.

Cannavo has no "official" role at the Knights, but talks a big game and regularly rings player agents.

KYO1wKi

so apparently today, the company that owed $250k to Ponga has finally paid him. and the case is "set to be" closed.

The company is Native Mineral Resources.

The Knights CEO, Phil Gardner, is now a non-executive director of Native Mineral Resources but is believed to have joined the company AFTER Ponga was given the NRL approved third-party deal.

The managing director and CEO of Native Mineral Resources is a man named Blake Cannavo. Cannavo is considered as the right hand man for Phil Gardner and is Colloquially known as “Phil’s handbag” around the Knights.

Cannavo has no "official" role at the Knights, but talks a big game and regularly rings player agents.

View attachment 27805

Soooo, what has Ponga done for Native Mineral Resources in order for them to justify such a heavy sponsorship of him?

Just a quick shout out to David Fifita (still burning in my guts about his defection down the M1 but credit where it's due) for his decision to flip-the-bird at the Chooks and continue his contract with the Titans. Sick of the Roosters cherry-picking their way through club rosters with one hand and waving their, seemingly bottomless, war chest with the other.

So...isn't that assaulting a referee? Or do we gloss over it because she "took it well"?

Try doing that in any other workplace and tell me how it goes from your jail cell...

I mean, not to be a pearl-clutcher, but this is the world we live in, right?

It's interesting the difference in reporting between the CM and SMH on the Wayne to Souths topic.

the SMH have posted an article claiming that Wayne has agreed to return to Souths on a 3 year $3 million deal. with no quotes.

the Courier Mail posted the headline "‘Look at what happened with Fifita’: Wayne’s warning to Souths". and have quoted Bennett.

Bennett said:

“As it stands, I haven’t agreed to terms. I haven’t signed anything,” Bennett said.

“I have met with Souths, we had some preliminary talks and we agreed to come back next Monday after Magic Round is over and finalise it.

“One way or the other, we will finalise things after this weekend.

“Either I will be going to Souths _ or I won’t be going.”

Asked if he had agreed terms to coach Souths until the end of 2027, Bennett said: “Right now, I haven’t agreed on anything.

“There’s been no handshakes. I haven’t signed any paperwork. I haven’t committed to any contract.

“There’s still things to be discussed.

“Look at what happened with David Fifita (Titans forward). People said he was done at the Roosters, but he is not going to the Roosters is he?

“South Sydney are up here for Magic Round so they will stay back a day or two and we’ll meet again.

“I’m not going anywhere until I sign a contract.”

“Look, I would like to get something done, but I want to see what state the club is in and get some information about them before I finalise any contract,” he said.

“I won’t be wasting anyone’s time, I’m interested in the job, no doubt about that.

“I don’t have a club next year and we need to get on with our lives here. The Dolphins need to know what I’m doing, I recognise that and Souths are after a coach, but it’s only been a few weeks since Jason Demetriou left.”

Bennett has also been linked with the Eels, but he said:

“I know nothing about Parramatta, I haven’t heard from them.”

South Sydney boss Blake Solly said:

“There’s no deal done at this stage,”

“I am meeting Wayne this week and our preference is to sign Wayne, but nothing further has happened.”

It's interesting the difference in reporting between the CM and SMH on the Wayne to Souths topic.

the SMH have posted an article claiming that Wayne has agreed to return to Souths on a 3 year $3 million deal. with no quotes.

the Courier Mail posted the headline "‘Look at what happened with Fifita’: Wayne’s warning to Souths". and have quoted Bennett.

Bennett said:

“As it stands, I haven’t agreed to terms. I haven’t signed anything,” Bennett said.

“I have met with Souths, we had some preliminary talks and we agreed to come back next Monday after Magic Round is over and finalise it.

“One way or the other, we will finalise things after this weekend.

“Either I will be going to Souths _ or I won’t be going.”

Asked if he had agreed terms to coach Souths until the end of 2027, Bennett said: “Right now, I haven’t agreed on anything.

“There’s been no handshakes. I haven’t signed any paperwork. I haven’t committed to any contract.

“There’s still things to be discussed.

“Look at what happened with David Fifita (Titans forward). People said he was done at the Roosters, but he is not going to the Roosters is he?

“South Sydney are up here for Magic Round so they will stay back a day or two and we’ll meet again.

“I’m not going anywhere until I sign a contract.”

“Look, I would like to get something done, but I want to see what state the club is in and get some information about them before I finalise any contract,” he said.

“I won’t be wasting anyone’s time, I’m interested in the job, no doubt about that.

“I don’t have a club next year and we need to get on with our lives here. The Dolphins need to know what I’m doing, I recognise that and Souths are after a coach, but it’s only been a few weeks since Jason Demetriou left.”

Bennett has also been linked with the Eels, but he said:

“I know nothing about Parramatta, I haven’t heard from them.”

South Sydney boss Blake Solly said:

“There’s no deal done at this stage,”

“I am meeting Wayne this week and our preference is to sign Wayne, but nothing further has happened.”
It looks like he is going to Souths.
I think they want to do the deal as soon as possible and tie him up because as things stand Parramatta although struggling a bit would be a more attractive club for him as Souths are currently a basket case.
Wayne going to Souths will actually shore up (but not guarantee) Arthurs position at Parramatta as it takes him out of the equation as a potential alternative coach.

Here`s one of the most hated men in the NRL seeming like a decent bloke .
Don`t be fooled . LOL .

Active Now

• Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.