2024 State of Origin discussion

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I'm intrigued by the Cobbo selection and what Billy plans to do with him tbh. I'm still concerned because of the possible extra defensive workload if he comes on as some sort of hybrid forward, but definitely intrigued.

It will either be a master stroke or a massive fail I think

It's a pretty good selection.

He covers fullback, wing or centre and if none of those go down, you got someone with a bit of pace who doesn't mind getting physical late in the game against tired forwards.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
It's a pretty good selection.

He covers fullback, wing or centre and if none of those go down, you got someone with a bit of pace who doesn't mind getting physical late in the game against tired forwards.

I counter with:

By having a back and a hooker on the bench, you're not only working your forwards overtime (because there is one less player to take up the work in the middle) ... but you're in real strife in the event a forward goes down injured / HIA

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I counter with:

By having a back and a hooker on the bench, you're not only working your forwards overtime (because there is one less player to take up the work in the middle) ... but you're in real strife in the event a forward goes down injured / HIA

Easier to cover a middle than to cover a centre, we've seen how critical it can be to lose an outside back without sufficient cover.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
It will pay off if there's an injury to the backs but I always felt like you gotta approach every game without expecting injuries. In the past the middle forwards always seemed to fatigue way faster than in regular season games too.

Who knows what happens this year though, the game seems to change every few years and Billy Slater might decide to go side to side and dummy half runs a lot more than in the past Origin matches.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Selwyn off the bench gives me visions of Chris Walker coming off the bench in origin back in the day. "Cobbos on, Cobbos on"
QLD have also used guys like Slater and Bowen off the bench in the past when we have had a 80 minute hooker. We've got forwards that can play big minutes instead of a 80 minute hooker.
Could be a master stroke from Billy. He's smart enough to have a plan for it.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Selwyn off the bench gives me visions of Chris Walker coming off the bench in origin back in the day. "Cobbos on, Cobbos on"
QLD have also used guys like Slater and Bowen off the bench in the past when we have had a 80 minute hooker. We've got forwards that can play big minutes instead of a 80 minute hooker.
Could be a master stroke from Billy. He's smart enough to have a plan for it.

in those cases I don't recall us also playing a hooker on the bench ... which is the big difference here.

NSW have some quick players that won't hesitate to take advantage of our overworked middle. Origin is much faster than a regular NRL match, our forwards are going to fatigue quicker, but they'll have to pull extra duty because they won't have as much relief ready to go

T

The Boss

NYC Player
Feb 15, 2016
NSW didnt go for flash they got fit, hard workers in the starting team and dynamic forwards off their bench. Edwards, To'o, Lomax and Suaalii will give nsw goods start to sets.
Liked if Cobbo starting for yardage maybe have Hammer or X on bench.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I counter with:

I`m pretty sure Cobbo will play in the forwards if required .

He doesn`t mind the rough stuff and is more agressive with his tackles this year .
Him and Riki getting stuck into D Fafita was a treat to watch .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Just heard Gus saying teams that lose an outside back in the NRL games this year lose 84% of the time .
So the guys saying Cobbo on da bench is a waste might need to reconsider ?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Just heard Gus saying teams that lose an outside back in the NRL games this year lose 84% of the time .

While that may be true if you don't lose an outside back ... You've just put yourself at a massive disadvantage.

I heard that stat last night. They said teams had lost an outside back in 16 games ... There have been 96 games played this season so far ... So that means that an outside back has gone down 16.66% of the time.

Do basically you're putting yourself at a massive disadvantage for something that statistically happens 16.66% of the time.

If you want to carry an outside back on the bench, you can't also carry a hooker

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
While that may be true if you don't lose an outside back ... You've just put yourself at a massive disadvantage.

I heard that stat last night. They said teams had lost an outside back in 16 games ... There have been 96 games played this season so far ... So that means that an outside back has gone down 16.66% of the time.

Do basically you're putting yourself at a massive disadvantage for something that statistically happens 16.66% of the time.

If you want to carry an outside back on the bench, you can't also carry a hooker
They are way off with their stats then. At the end of round 8, 22 of the then 80 games (27.5%) a side had lost a back before or at halftime:

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
I think the panthers have benefited from this stat the most this year. Opposition teams have lost an outside back in the game like 8 out of 11 games they have played this year

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I think the panthers have benefited from this stat the most this year. Opposition teams have lost an outside back in the game like 8 out of 11 games they have played this year

If that's true, just coincidence or...

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

In this instance though, Cobbo isn't small and apparently grew up playing in the forwards. I think he will do fine there. He is a good defender and has the size, speed and strength to really cause havoc through the middle. Plus Qld have played both Hunt and Grant through the middle as they have both been on at the same time before.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
In this instance though, Cobbo isn't small and apparently grew up playing in the forwards. I think he will do fine there. He is a good defender and has the size, speed and strength to really cause havoc through the middle. Plus Qld have played both Hunt and Grant through the middle as they have both been on at the same time before.

You know what I find funny ...

So many people have been complaining about how hard Kev has been working Patty.

Yet Billy will have to work him even harder, but I haven't seen too many people complain about that

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
You know what I find funny ...

So many people have been complaining about how hard Kev has been working Patty.

Yet Billy will have to work him even harder, but I haven't seen too many people complain about that

I did see some concerns about it and I am concerned as well, not sure what this has to do with the topic at hand though?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
If that's true, just coincidence or...
Rnd 1 - Storm no injuries
Rnd 2 - Eels lose Simonsens opening 5 minutes
Rnd 3 - Broncos lose Walsh opening 5 minutes
Rnd 4 - Roosters no injuries
Rnd 5 - Manly lose Garrick opening 3 minutes
Rnd 6 - Bye
Rnd 7 - Tigers lose Tupou winger after 37 minutes
Rnd 8 - Cowboys lose Chester after 27 minutes
Rnd 9 - Rabbitohs lose Hawkins after 25 minutes and Gray at halftime due to hip drop
Rnd 10 - Bulldogs no injuries
Rnd 11 - Warriors lose Montoya at 66 minutes
Rnd 12 - Sharks lose Hynes after 31 minutes

Its unbelievable luck if you ask me

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Rnd 1 - Storm no injuries
Rnd 2 - Eels lose Simonsens opening 5 minutes
Rnd 3 - Broncos lose Walsh opening 5 minutes
Rnd 4 - Roosters no injuries
Rnd 5 - Manly lose Garrick opening 3 minutes
Rnd 6 - Bye
Rnd 7 - Tigers lose Tupou winger after 37 minutes
Rnd 8 - Cowboys lose Chester after 27 minutes
Rnd 9 - Rabbitohs lose Hawkins after 25 minutes and Gray at halftime due to hip drop
Rnd 10 - Bulldogs no injuries
Rnd 11 - Warriors lose Montoya at 66 minutes
Rnd 12 - Sharks lose Hynes after 31 minutes

Its unbelievable luck if you ask me

Luck or...

Unread

Active Now

• Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.