Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
No hate......

I think in this year's series....we need him to rise
and conquer.

He has to.
The last few years he has been actually very good, confused on your logic here.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
The last few years he has been actually very good, confused on your logic here.
I agree, he's been good as a player who's played their part...... he's done his job, no question.

As our senior half and skipper, in this series....I'm asking for more.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
That was enough....while another strike weapon like Munster was there to win you the game.

QLD's historically lived and died on the performance of a QLD half.....Lewis, Langer, Lockyer, JT...... Munster....
have single handedly won QLD games.

Can DCE alongside a rookie....semi talented 5/8?
I get your point and I think Munster is a huge loss for qld, imo he would be the first person picked for either side. Epitomises the phrase origin player.

But I don't think dce is going to be or needs to be the defining factor. That will go to one of Walsh/Hunt/Grant.

Dce just needs to lead them around the park and organise. He's never going to be a "strap the team on my back" kinda guy and imo he doesn't need to be.

Just do your job and if others do theirs, we will win.

B

Broncorob

QCup Player
Jul 26, 2020
I get your point and I think Munster is a huge loss for qld, imo he would be the first person picked for either side. Epitomises the phrase origin player.

But I don't think dce is going to be or needs to be the defining factor. That will go to one of Walsh/Hunt/Grant.

Dce just needs to lead them around the park and organise. He's never going to be a "strap the team on my back" kinda guy and imo he doesn't need to be.

Just do your job and if others do theirs, we will win.
I think this is a time for Harry to step up. Has the skill....needs to convert into a game winning performance

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Lots of intrigue around this Origin.

Blues, all big and bash and Queensland all 80 minutes and speed.

It’s wet down here today so who does that help? If NSW play it in the middle third and hold the ball will that tire out Queensland and leave them with no gas at the end and a back on the bench. Kicking game is going to be vital in the wet and not running anywhere near the sideline.

Walsh needs to run not pass because it will put pressure on his outside men near the sideline. Make the break first then pass.

If Queensland win it’s on the edge when they create those 3 v 3 that Walsh craves the last two series that’s where they have created space and time with ball movement. If New South Wales win it’s through the middle with Madge bashing Queensland and tiring them out.

Bellamy said he struggled with Origin coaching because he didn’t play and couldn’t draw on that like Mal- so he ran it like a club with analytics and picked a club team- I see some of that in Madge. Billy has picked an Origin side.

It’s a real Queensland 80’s pack of forwards, Cotter, Collins, Nanai all skillful and mobile. You can see Vautin, Lindner, Fullerton-Smith and Neibling right there.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
that tire out Queensland and leave them with no gas at the end and a back on the bench.

Who is making metres in the NSW forwards ?
Haas and ? If Qld shut Haas down Madge is gonna have to put his bench on early .
And that quote above . LOL . Poor Qld only have 6 foot 3 , 100 Kg Selwyn on the bench . Oh dear !
Also flip that scenario . NSW lose a back ? De ja vu last year Cookie playin centre .
Or lose a middle and Mr 20 minutes I`m not a racist Leniu has to play more than his alloted 20 ?
Many permutations possible ...

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Fullerton-Smith and Neibling right there.

I wouldn`t call Fullerton Smith or Neibling skillful .
I dunno if I ever saw either one pass the ball in all the years I watched them play .
Tackling machines with cardio for days yes . Skillfull tacklers, good at meterage but passers not .

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I wouldn`t call Fullerton Smith or Neibling skillful .
I dunno if I ever saw either one pass the ball in all the years I watched them play .
Tackling machines with cardio for days yes . Skillfull tacklers, good at meterage but passers not .

Both had great offloads, you don't win Rothmans Medals for tackling.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Lots of intrigue around this Origin.

Blues, all big and bash and Queensland all 80 minutes and speed.

It’s wet down here today so who does that help? If NSW play it in the middle third and hold the ball will that tire out Queensland and leave them with no gas at the end and a back on the bench. Kicking game is going to be vital in the wet and not running anywhere near the sideline.

Walsh needs to run not pass because it will put pressure on his outside men near the sideline. Make the break first then pass.

If Queensland win it’s on the edge when they create those 3 v 3 that Walsh craves the last two series that’s where they have created space and time with ball movement. If New South Wales win it’s through the middle with Madge bashing Queensland and tiring them out.

Bellamy said he struggled with Origin coaching because he didn’t play and couldn’t draw on that like Mal- so he ran it like a club with analytics and picked a club team- I see some of that in Madge. Billy has picked an Origin side.

It’s a real Queensland 80’s pack of forwards, Cotter, Collins, Nanai all skillful and mobile. You can see Vautin, Lindner, Fullerton-Smith and Neibling right there.
I find the NSW bench interesting.

A lot of talk about them having big forwards on the bench, but is it that big or are pundits just talking about it because they've picked 4 forwards?

I'm guessing Yeo will come on for McInness and so McIness is basically their utility? and Yeo their lock... or Jake will move to lock and Yeo prop.

I'm assuming Haumole will come on for Martin and he will move into the prop rotation.

But I'm not sure where Young comes into it... maybe he comes on for Crichton and he moves into the middle? but Crichton is surely more dangerous than Young. A lot of talk about Cobbo on the bench, but Young looks a bit redundant on the NSW side of things.

They've got a lot of edge forwards in their team and basically 2 props (Haas and Leniu)... How Leniu goes will be interesting. I can see Qld targetting him for sure, to try and force him into an error early or to just chew up his engine, which is only about 30mins in NRL land.

The hooker will surely be a target for Qld... Robson the only recognised one named with McIness likely providing a breather at some point. If the game is going to be in the middle Robson and McInness will be in for a lot of work, being the smaller guys in that middle defence.

So the middle forward battle to me looks like the below and I don't necessarily think that NSW has a 'bigger' pack when it basically boils down to Young (as a 4th forward) vs 100kg 6'2" Cobbo (bigger in both metrics compared to Young).

NSW
- Haas
- Jurbo
- Yeo
- Leniu
- Martin
- McInness

Qld
- Collins
- Cotter
- Patty
- Fotuiaka
- Hopgood
- Cobbo/Bhunt (for 15-20mins stint somewhere in the middle... which has been stock standard for Qld for years)

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
If its a wet track tonight then its going to favour the forwards. Ball security will be at a premium.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I will be surprised if Selwyn isn't at fullback by the end of the match.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Mind boggling how low people are on Reece Walsh on this forum!
Not me, but Billy didn't put a utility back on the bench to **** with the media. He knows chances are Reece will be cramped and throwing up in the last quarter. Plus he'll have a target on his back. Selwyn is insurance. But obviously, not just for Reece.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Mal used two fullbacks back when Hunt and Slater were competing for the spot. Hunt would start and Slater would come off the bench and Hunt would move into the middle.

It was very successful. Slater seems to be going for something similar so he obviously has a plan around that.

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.