2024 State of Origin discussion

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
Shame about Cobbo. NSW look stronger and QLD look weaker. Capewell has played 79 minutes of football in almost 3 months. I'm not sure how much utility value he provides anymore because he'll get shredded by Latrell or Crichton if he needs to cover a backline spot. Even Fermor who is much quicker would struggle, I just don't think backrowers are up to it anymore.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
Shame about Cobbo. NSW look stronger and QLD look weaker. Capewell has played 79 minutes of football in almost 3 months. I'm not sure how much utility value he provides anymore because he'll get shredded by Latrell or Crichton if he needs to cover a backline spot.
I would pick Gagai in that spot. He has been great this year. Agree Capewell is just a nothing selection

T

The Boss

NYC Player
Feb 15, 2016
I don't know why there is such a hard-on for Moses.

He's had two auditions and he failed both but he's still selected lol.
His playing on a team that has quit and coach sacked. Also more that Hynes looked to poor last game.

Brocko

Brocko

NRL Captain
Contributor
Feb 23, 2014
Capewell is purely there for what he has done previously, but even then I'd put Gags there ahead of him for what he has done previously and more versatility.

If the Cobbo injection stuff is true it makes a lot of sense. He hasn't looked right at all.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Embarrassing that we made him back up against the Sharks if he’s been in that much pain. You could see he wasn’t right.
The full interview is not just around playing with a niggle requiring injections. He refers to him being a young man, developing his game etc which sounds like a bit of form and a bit of injury involved in the decision not to play him. He has looked a shadow of his origin 1 heroics in his most recent club games. Probably hurt and burnt from allthe football

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
walsh has played like 10 minutes of football in the last month. His timing will be off

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
He’s gonna be running the ball a lot in Game 2.
For about 15 minutes until they knock him out again, especially now that we don’t have a back on the bench. We can then listen to Wade Graham try to string a sentence together and go on again about how Walsh needs to change the way he plays not the defenders.

T

The Boss

NYC Player
Feb 15, 2016
Don't understand, Billy was talking about how important having coverage in outside backs was, so you pick Capewell who is a plodder now over Gags? Maybe nrl begging QLD throw this game so we habe w decider.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Don't understand, Billy was talking about how important having coverage in outside backs was, so you pick Capewell who is a plodder now over Gags? Maybe nrl begging QLD throw this game so we habe w decider.

Capewell can play centre which solves a lot of problems if any of the back 5 go down. QLD won a series with him at centre and he came on at centre in the '22 decider when Cobbo got knocked out.

He also provides coverage in the forwards.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
I still dont like the Blues bench. Cameron Murray being straight back in over Yeo is just weird. I don't rate Murray as much as others. He has fallen off the last couple of years. Having Trbojevic and him starting is just plodder city. They have 1 bench front rower who is only a 20min bloke at best. Haumole is going to played as a front rower again I gather but it just doesnt suit him. He was gassed after 5mins the 1st game. I don't mind Watson but meh Im not sure about him as a back replacement. Burton can cover more spots imo. Both benches are underwhelming. I would play Yeo alot. I just think he is incredibly good and him on the bench just doesnt make sense to me.

FACTHUNT

FACTHUNT

QCup Player
May 25, 2021
Who cares, we get three broncos players back for the warriors and the Warriors lose Capewell! Probably the best possible scenario for us. Looking forward for this exhibition to be over so we can try and recover our season!
I agree and just want it over. When I was a kid Origin felt like everything to me, I think because I lived in a town close to the border and there was magic to it when young, rather than it feeling like an exhibition. Also because we were just always winning prems. Argh. Take me back.

I still love Origin, will be attending game three, and get the nervous shits etc, but the Broncos just take a bit more of my heart and soul with every day that I age.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I agree and just want it over. When I was a kid Origin felt like everything to me, I think because I lived in a town close to the border and there was magic to it when young, rather than it feeling like an exhibition. Also because we were just always winning prems. Argh. Take me back.

I still love Origin, will be attending game three, and get the nervous shits etc, but the Broncos just take a bit more of my heart and soul with every day that I age.
Queensland is the pinnacle for Queensland players. I haven't met one yet who would put anything else football before playing for their state. I just can't see that changing tbh.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Queensland is the pinnacle for Queensland players. I haven't met one yet who would put anything else football before playing for their state. I just can't see that changing tbh.
Yeah but I think that may change because the fans get frustrated with the injuries, suspension s, unavailability etc disrupting the season for their clubs. I can honestly see the NRL making a change to this in the near future.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
That bench worries me a lot.

Felise and Capewell instead of Hopgood and Cobbo.

I think we lose a lot from our bench this time around... Hopgood didn't do anything outstanding in Game 1, but he has been elite in NRL land as a ball player and workhorse, so I can see him developing and improving with every origin game he plays.

I'm not sure Capewell can cover the backs anywhere close to what Cobbo can either....he could previously do a job there, but I'm not so sure nowadays... so in both scenarios I think we're now weaker.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
Yeah but I think that may change because the fans get frustrated with the injuries, suspension s, unavailability etc disrupting the season for their clubs. I can honestly see the NRL making a change to this in the near future.
Its always been like this though.

Unread

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Xzei
  • leon.bott
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncorob
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Jedhead
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.