2025 Pre-season discussion. Alas poor Kevvie.

I forgot the thread which i saw news on frank ponissi and Peter Parr being shortlsited is this for Season 25? anyone able to share that where they got this news from.
Source and maybe the article.
I think the fact that there are some rumours out there indicates that DD is keen on bringing the role back into the club... and thank **** for that!!

Xavier Willison -22 Years Of Age

2024 - 19 Games, 3 Tries, 38 Tackle Breaks, 104m Avg, 3 Offloads, 22.7 Tackles Avg

Joe Ofahengaue - 22 Years Of Age

2017 - 16 Games, 1 Try, 15 Tackle Breaks, 100m Avg, 1 Offload, 21.2 Tackles Average

Joe's best year would come the following year where he was voted player's player and his stats looked like:

2018 - 24 Games, 3 Tries, 37 Tackle Breaks, 117.2m Avg, 3 Offloads, 27.2 Tackles Average

Then again, I think the point is being misconstrued.

The way that I read it:

1. While Willison is an exciting prospect, hopefully the club doesn't get lulled into paying on potential. We all saw with Joe Ofahengaue how quickly young players can plateau.

2. Hopefully being omitted from the New Zealand squad drives down Willison's price and makes him more affordable.

It just becomes a question of what's a reasonable price? $700K? $600K? Anything over $500K?

I would not be shocked at all if a club comes in with a 3 year $2 million contract.
It's an interesting one because it can go either way on the timing of this, if we can get a contract that isn't too heavily on potential it can cover both scenario's pretty well.

He does have a past injury record but he did play most of the year this time keeping in mind he was snubbed for the earlier rounds when he could've played, he does have some natural advantages as well as he is one of the biggest players in the game so the tackle break figure give or take will be a given for a player like him.

I think if we can get a contract under 700k it's well worth it, I think injuries are the big risk for him more than a form drop off as he seems to have a consistent style to him, the positives on the other hand are quite big, if he can get the mins up another 5-8 more on average I think he gets to the next level.

Xavier Willison -22 Years Of Age

2024 - 19 Games, 3 Tries, 38 Tackle Breaks, 104m Avg, 3 Offloads, 22.7 Tackles Avg

Joe Ofahengaue - 22 Years Of Age

2017 - 16 Games, 1 Try, 15 Tackle Breaks, 100m Avg, 1 Offload, 21.2 Tackles Average

Joe's best year would come the following year where he was voted player's player and his stats looked like:

2018 - 24 Games, 3 Tries, 37 Tackle Breaks, 117.2m Avg, 3 Offloads, 27.2 Tackles Average

Then again, I think the point is being misconstrued.

The way that I read it:

1. While Willison is an exciting prospect, hopefully the club doesn't get lulled into paying on potential. We all saw with Joe Ofahengaue how quickly young players can plateau.

2. Hopefully being omitted from the New Zealand squad drives down Willison's price and makes him more affordable.

It just becomes a question of what's a reasonable price? $700K? $600K? Anything over $500K?

I would not be shocked at all if a club comes in with a 3 year $2 million contract.
I think this is where the length of the contract becomes important. A contract should either be long or high value, it shouldn't be both unless you are an absolute guarantee and I would say that's basically only Patty, Reece and Haas at the moment.

A long contract provides the player with security and provides the club value for money, assuming they've taken a paycut to get a longer deal.

A high value contract can align with a player's worth and demands from the manager, but if it's short then it still gives the club flexibility in roster and if the player doesn't live up to the contract at least you aren't weighed down by it for a long period of time.

A shorter contract for a younger player also means the player has flexibility... if they're killing it then they get the opportunity to increase that contract.

Recent ones of interest would be Ezra's contract vs Sam Walker's contract.

From reports Walker wanted big money, but he's also a young long term halfback for rorters who would probably want to lock him down for a long time... However they didn't flinch and over pay Sam, instead they are giving him his money, but only on a 2yr extension.

If Sam continues to improve that 2yr contract will look like great value, but it also means he becomes less and less of a risk... so rorters can look to upgrade that contract to the long term deal that they want and all parties are happy.

For us Ezra had a break out year last year and our R&R has gone straight to a long term deal worth big money... suddenly Ezra isn't looking as good and there's already question marks on the deal even though he hasn't even started it yet.

It's weak from R&R to basically give in to the manager's demands instantly when the player is not yet proven.

Ezra definitely deserved an upgrade, but he's had one good year and he has yet to completely run the show... upgrade and extend, but only extend for 2yr or so and then re-evaluate as he develops.

Hopefully we approach Willison in a similar style to rorters with Sam and not just handing out yet another high value long term contract.

JFH and Tapine are veterans in pretty good form .
Whyte and Willison I could debate .Erin Clark always seems to have a blinder against the Broncos so that`s the only times I`ve really taken note of him . But all the better if he gets more training before next season . He seemed to lose a step in running pace at seasons end .
Unless I've missed something, I don't think anyone is calling Willison a dud for failing to make the team or calling the selectors morons (@Mustafur may have thought it though) just that it's one less thing the manager can use to drive up his price during a contract year.

Willison for mine was a stand-out during the Origin period last year and his emergence alongside Sailor, Mariner and Piakura went a long way to the Broncos winning a lot of those games.

He was also a stand-out for the Seagulls later in the season.
700K ? The salary cap increases each year by how much ?
$150,000

11,250,000 --> 11,400,000

It'd be overs, but I could see a club taking a punt with the idea that he's the best emerging prop on the free market and he'll be 24 when they get their hands on him.

Unless I've missed something, I don't think anyone is calling Willison a dud for failing to make the team or calling the selectors morons (@Mustafur may have thought it though) just that it's one less thing the manager can use to drive up his price during a contract year.

Willison for mine was a stand-out during the Origin period last year and his emergence alongside Sailor, Mariner and Piakura went a long way to the Broncos winning a lot of those games.

He was also a stand-out for the Seagulls later in the season.

$150,000

11,250,000 --> 11,400,000

It'd be overs, but I could see a club taking a punt with the idea that he's the best emerging prop on the free market and he'll be 24 when they get their hands on him.

This idea the media dictating a players worth .
I don`t see it . The coach and recruitment know the character of the player , his work ethic , skills etc . That should determine their value . Not some talking head`s opinion .

This idea the media dictating a players worth .
I don`t see it . The coach and recruitment know the character of the player , his work ethic , skills etc . That should determine their value . Not some talking head`s opinion .
Is there a particular reason you're bringing up the media?

I could see a player-manager using their client's representative experience to drive up their value. I also believe clubs are desperate enough to take big risks.

Unread

Active Now

• scobie
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • bert_lifts
  • Justwin
  • Fitzy
  • Dexter
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.