Affiliated sides or one reserve side?

• Thread starter Painin the Haas
  • Start date
Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
I am a fan of the ISC, I watch it when it's televised and even went to last years grand final, however I am also a fan of having that one reserve side like the NSW clubs have eg. Canberra has the Mounties, dragons have the cutters while the Bulldogs, Knights and panthers carry the same name as the NRL sides.

It was a debate that came up last year that there is a possibility in the future that every team would have one feeder club and they versed each other just like the NRL and the NYC sides.

my question is what is the better option? Below are a few pros for each side

BRONCOS RESERVE SIDE

1. Players get to play together helping combinations
2. U20's can make the step up into a familiar set up and play with other first grade hopefuls
3. Die hard fans get to follow three teams wearing broncos colours

AFFILIATED SIDES
1. Helps strengthen smaller Q cup sides for the good of Rugby League
2. Helps us get the best of the up and comers like Jonas Pearson who came from the Capras and now plays for our u20's
3. Gives our players a different insight compared to a one sided approach (especially those who go to the Jets)

I'd love to have a Broncos reserve grade side. Another positive is fringe players (your Vidot's etc) I don't think would see it as such a big demotion and get pissy and try to (or do) leave. Might also increase the likes of a Nicholls staying (I am inexplicably annoyed by his departure). They're still playing for the Broncos and wearing our colours. I know some will say 'if that's how they think well there's the door' but I doubt many players would enjoy playing under different coaches every other week. Wouldn't be the ideal way to get player performance back up if what they're doing in ISC is quite different to NRL.

Also it doesn't separate the 17 in the NRL and the handful of guys that miss out that may not get the chance to be a part of the top grade game day as they can play after the 20's and before the main game. Also helps that ALL the players and staff from 20's up are together, instead of scattering them to different parts of the state (albeit mostly SEQ) but especially for away trips. Can assist in returning-from-injury players and as you mention get them playing to Wayne's system so they can jump straight into first grade if needed and be at least an adequate substitute.

But yeah the big ramifications would be how the affiliates would cope with lower quality sides and the flow-on effects from it (crowd attendances/ leagues club income/sponsorship etc) . It may not affect ISC too badly with only 3 QLD teams plus the ones that go to Melbourne but if you were to pull all the NSW-based players +NZ Vulcans out of their comp, there'd be a fairly big drop I reckon*

(*not a NSWCup expert)

Or failing that, maybe try what they do with the A-League but combine it a bit more evenly. They can have a few over-age players in the youth side. I think it only 2 or 3 max they allow. Maybe a 30/70 split of reserves to 20's.

I believe the NRL should reinstate the process of under 20's - reserve grade and NRL to all teams. Those players that do not make the weekly list then go back to ISC and NSW cup. I loved the day where you would see three games in your teams colours. I don't believe smaller ISC club such as the Capras see the influx of players returning on a weekly basis. This week is a good example where only one Brisbane Bronco is returning to state league at the Capras.
Food for thought.

Bennett reviewed the feeder club set up at the start of the year.

If the Broncos wanted to go alone you encounter several problems.

Cost is a big one; it costs a million dollars plus to run a ISC team.
Recruitment you miss out on players- Redcliffe aren’t going to ring Broncos and say we’ve a good one here if you’re not their NRL club.
QRL don’t want another team.
You leave whole geographical areas open to other NRL teams.
No players doing pre-season with the Broncos
It becomes unfair on the ISC to produce players then if they get signed by the Broncos they play against them. Players like staying at home and playing for their club- It would be highly unfair for Parcell to be playing against the Jets now.

Using ISC clubs means a lot of work is outsourced for you.

Last edited:
The perception seems to be that without one Bronco a week then ISC clubs would fall in a hole with no hope. That's simply untrue. Mostly getting one NRL causes more issues than it helps.

You get them on Friday, they have one session with you and they then play. You have to drop some poor guy who really should be there to accommodate some guy who doesn't want to be there.

I believe the NRL should reinstate the process of under 20's - reserve grade and NRL to all teams. Those players that do not make the weekly list then go back to ISC and NSW cup. I loved the day where you would see three games in your teams colours. I don't believe smaller ISC club such as the Capras see the influx of players returning on a weekly basis. This week is a good example where only one Brisbane Bronco is returning to state league at the Capras.
Food for thought.

How many do you want? Most coaches want a small number if they have to have them- you don't want 8 guys joining your team on Friday.

I think that if you have a Broncos Reserve Grade then it'll basically replace the second-tier comp. I'm not a traditionalist so it wouldn't bother me but I can understand why that'll have a whoooole lot of people up in arms. Proud clubs with long histories basically pushed out of existence, not through being shit (like NRL clubs being merged etc) but because the "NRL" decides to bring in a new broom.

Active Now

• Santa
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • bert_lifts
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • porouian
  • Kev_Guz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Foordy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • barker
  • Galah
  • Dash
  • BroncosAlways
  • Culhwch
  • broncotville
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.