NEWS After Reynolds the Broncos can paint it Black: Hodges

BHQArticleImageLarge120

Brisbane must prepare for when captain and halfback Adam Reynolds retires, but former skipper Justin Hodges says his successor could be right under the club's nose in the form of 18-year-old Coby Black.

Reynolds, 34, is on contract for next season and said on Monday he would make a decision on his future in 2025.

The Broncos have Black on their books until the end of 2026, along with back-up halves Jock Madden and Josh Rogers.

The club has been encouraged in some quarters to make a play for injured Sydney Roosters half Sam Walker, who ruptured his ACL on the weekend.

Walker, who would cost north of $1 million per season, is off contract at the end of next year but is tipped to stay with the Tricolours.

With Broncos fullback Reece Walsh also expected to command more than $1 million a year when his extension is signed, combined with big-money deals already for prop Payne Haas and No.6 Ezra Mam, it is unlikely the Broncos could afford to make a play for Walker.

Hodges was assistant coach at Souths-Logan this season in the Queensland Cup, where Black played impressively until he broke his thumb in July.

Black has a mighty boot and will be 20 at the start of the 2026 season and ready for NRL should Reynolds retire.

"The Broncos have young Coby Black coming through and there are big plans for him at the club," Hodges told AAP.

"I have watched him at Souths and he is a really talented kid with a great kicking game who works really hard.

"You bring Sam Walker or another established half in and then you have to ask how long a kid like Coby would stay around. These are the big decisions the club has to weigh up.

"It comes down to whether Adam wants another run (in 2026) and if he feels like he can you give him that opportunity.

"'Reyno' has potentially one year left and Sam, great young half that he is, can potentially give you 10, but he comes with a hefty price tag as well. Spend it all there and it can leave you short in other positions."

Reynolds said he would know within himself when to call time on his stellar career.

"Firstly I have got to be playing good footy and doing my job," he said.

"If I am not doing my job then I am not doing the team any favours, and that is when a decision will be made."

Reynolds, who has missed half of this season with a ruptured biceps, has been criticised by former captain Gorden Tallis, who, among other things, said he should be sacked as captain.

"No, it hasn't been fair," Broncos coach Kevin Walters said of the attacks.

"We love Adam here. We love him as our captain. We've had several conversations, Adam and myself. He will be our captain next year.

"I still remember the day (CEO) Dave Donaghy and I flew to Sydney to sign him. He has been great for us and we got to the grand final last year on the back of Adam's work and as a leader.

"The most frustrating thing for myself and Adam is that he has just played 12 games this year. That makes it tough for everyone."

The Broncos host minor premiers Melbourne on Thursday night, with Brisbane having blown their chance to play finals with their horror loss to the Dolphins last Saturday.

Canberra Times

Fffffarrk me, here we are again, everyone and their dog feeding on the Broncos algorithm like starving sharks

If Arey has a similar year next year.......
IMO, he doesn't get to choose to retire in 2026.
He's nicely told to.

I think Black needs to have a stand out season in QCup 2025.
Close to best & Fairest of the entire league as such.

I'm not sure when would be the latest you could start negotiating with SW to still be a chance......?
I still don't quite understand what exactly went down with his Dad and the Broncos. I'm kinda hoping there's an Ipswich bond between the Walker's and the Walters........however misguided that hope is.

At this point for 2026, I'd spend the money on Walker
then **** Jock Madden off and bring Coby Black into the rotation.

Any talk of Ezra getting big money is premature IMO. I wouldn't be doing it and if he takes bigger money from someone else....then he's a money grubbing ****
and is not the kind of player I want anyway.
He's still got a lot to prove AFAIC.

I wish he was a year older in development, he is in the exact timeframe of development where it's risky as hell to commit to him as our future option, it sucks because he very well could be the answer but it would be unfair to make it happen without trying someone else first.

If Reynos body randomly survives the whole year unscathed and he is willing to do 2026 that would be the only way we could give him a real shot at the position.

I think if we're in a stronger position next year, we could afford to rest Reyno for a game every now and then and give Coby a shot.

Get him training with the squad full time if he isn't already and especially with Reyno and give him a taste of NRL every now and then.

Of course it would depend on whether we're in a strong position. If we're struggling like this year, it's not a good idea to throw a kid into that.

And it begins. Why don't they just say Black is the next Lockyer and be done with it. **** I hate how the club is owned by newscorp.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Culhwch
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.