OFFICIAL Albert Kelly Signs on for 2022

Albert Kelly signs on for another year, taking his deal to the end of 2022

View attachment 14793

Playmaker Albert Kelly will remain a Brisbane Bronco for another year to the end of the 2022 season.​

The 30-year-old has made a combined 171 NRL and Super League appearances since debuting in 2010 and has been impressive since making his Australian comeback with the Broncos midway through the 2021 season. He has made six appearances for Brisbane this season since returning from England where he played 118 games for Hull and then Hull Kingston Rovers between 2015 and 2020, scoring 67 tries in total in the Super League.

He played a total of 47 NRL games for Cronulla and the Titans from 2010 to 2014 before his overseas stint. On his return to Australia earlier this year, he played consistent football for Broncos Affiliate South Logan Magpies before being given another shot at the NRL with a debut for Brisbane in Round 11 against the Sydney Roosters. That night, Kelly helped orchestrate a memorable 34-16 upset at the Sydney Cricket Ground and he has been a part of the Broncos’ NRL squad ever since. He was impressive again in yesterday’s 24-22 win over the Warriors.

In choosing to remain a Bronco, Kelly joins Kotoni Staggs, Tesi Niu, Keenan Palasia, Jordan Riki, Kobe Hetherington, Jake Turpin, Tyson Gamble, David Mead, Jesse Arthars and exciting youngsters Brendan Piakura, Teui “TC” Robati, Selwyn Cobbo and Xavier Willison who have all extended with the club in recent months. They will be joined in 2022 by new signings Adam Reynolds, Kurt Capewell, Corey Jensen, Brenko Lee and Logan Bayliss.

Kelly said: “I can see the success coming at the Broncos so I wanted to stick around. I can see how hard the guys work and how talented they are. “We’ve got some good players coming in so it’s going to be a bright future. I’m very grateful to the Broncos for giving me a chance. Hopefully I can pay the club back with some success.”

Broncos Football & Performance Director Ben Ikin said: “Albert provides experience and creativity – he has been really impressive since he was given the chance midway through the year and took it with both hands. “He is also very good around the club, having seen what it takes to succeed at the top level and passing that on to the younger players in the squad.”

Have we seen what Levi looks like when he has to start and play a full 80 yet?

Have we seen what Levi looks like when he has to start and play a full 80 yet?

Yes, a few times in the last few games. He isn't the long-term answer either but in the meantime, he has already looked head and shoulders above Turpin, it is really damning on Turpin. Turpin can tackle as good as anyone and that's it.

Yes, a few times in the last few games. He isn't the long-term answer either but in the meantime, he has already looked head and shoulders above Turpin, it is really damning on Turpin. Turpin can tackle as good as anyone and that's it.
If Turpin worked on his service and his pass selection you could make things work with him If we had a 'roving winger/centre' that hung around the middle jumping in and taking off on a quick play the ball that would somewhat solve the running game problem of Turpin in the short term.
Players like Herbie and Mead this would suit

Sounding like Kelly & Reynolds may be the first choice halves pairing heading in to next season, with Gamble as depth for both spots.

Just looking at the numbers, it's almost impossible to split them. Very similar if you factor in the 8 fewer games starting for Albert.

Kelly - 5 games starting ~ 2 tries, 0 linebreaks, 4 try assists, 2 linebreak assists, 3 forced dropouts, 71 running metres per game

Gamble - 13 games starting ~ 1 try, 1 linebreak, 8 try assists, 6 linebreak assists, 5 forced dropouts, 62 running metres per game

The one thing that Kelly has going for him is that as he said in that interview, he didn't have a pre-season at all and has been shifted around a bunch. I think a full off-season & pre-season under his belt training with Reynolds will do him the world of good.

Tough call. I guess it'll be a pre-season battle between Kelly & Gamble to see who gets first crack in the #6

Hard to see Kelly and Reynolds getting a full season in so gamble will still start a bit IMO

Any chance to have Gamble play as 9? He can be the bigger upgraded version of Mick Ennis!🤣

Any chance to have Gamble play as 9? He can be the bigger upgraded version of Mick Ennis!🤣

That may not be the worst idea. Someone was saying they see him more as a ball-playing lock? If he can handle it defensively and that workload doesn't dull him too much, he would be one of the most creative #9's out there. Good football brain to spot opportunities too.

Why is there a sudden seeming consensus that Kelly has jumped ahead of Gamble for the 6 spot? I am happy to have Kelly re-signed but in my mind, Tyson is still the number 6 moving forward unless he bombs it in preseason. Gamble has shown quite a bit more than Kelly has in my opinion.

Why is there a sudden seeming consensus that Kelly has jumped ahead of Gamble for the 6 spot? I am happy to have Kelly re-signed but in my mind, Tyson is still the number 6 moving forward unless he bombs it in preseason. Gamble has shown quite a bit more than Kelly has in my opinion.
Think gamble should be ahead but who ever gets the 6 the other should be 14

I prefer Gamble and I think he has shown more, I just think Kelly’s skill set compliments Reynolds far more.

Not saying either couldn’t work but I think Kelly is the best fit for Reynolds. It’s a good headache to have though and competition for spots is never a bad thing. I’m hopeful either is just a place holder because Mam blows the doors down by 2023.

On another note, I definitely don’t agree with the growing opinion that whoever misses out on the 6 should get the 14. Neither have played outside the halves and I don’t see what they add beside injury cover - not to mention it would mean Turpin is required to play 80 minutes. The thought that Gamble is a lock or hooker is pretty fanciful.

To me Paix seems the obvious choice for the 14. An attacking point of difference that can rest Turpin and can slot into the halves if required.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • broncsgoat
  • Bish
  • TimWhatley
  • FACTHUNT
  • Pablo
  • broncos4life
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Allo
  • Tmac
  • Waynesaurus
  • mieko
  • lynx000
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.