NEWS Alex Glenn: new rules are breaking our balls

Broncos captain Alex Glenn reckons he might have another year in him but the NRL’s new rules are making the game too fast for old legs. The 273 game clubman up until last year barely missed a match. But lately he's been dogged by recurrent injuries. The latest will see him miss the next two matches but he's hopeful of making Round 13 against the Dragons:

“I want to be honest with the club. I don’t want to drag them along if I keep getting injuries. I want to give this year a really good crack. Mentally, I could go on another year. But physically I want to make sure my body is right. I don’t want to be on and off the field. I want to be consistently playing my best footy. If I’m doing that at the end of the year I’ll be keen to go again, but I don’t want to make the call right now while I’m injured."

“To be honest, it’s the speed of the game causing injuries. The demands on your body are so much higher than it was five years ago. You are pushing yourself to new boundaries and you have to back it up the next week. It’s a common denominator why teams are having so many injuries. The speed of the game is so fast now and it’s a contact sport. Sometimes you don’t have long enough to recover before the next game."

“You could say I’m getting older and don’t recover as fast, but the way I see it is the speed of the game, new rules and demands on players are causing injuries. It’s not just old fellas getting injuries, it’s young guys as well across all teams.”

Screend279d49c95f6e2492c36098bb35bd8c9

Testimonial: check. Retirement: pending.

“If the game keeps going this way I don’t see many players reaching 300 games. I feel like the 200-game mark will be the 300 mark. It’s a very high demand on your body. These young guys can punch out five-six years really well, but later in your career your body will start taking a toll. The game is enjoyable to watch, but from a player’s point of view it is very hard. You can only keep at that level for so long, in the future we’re going to see more injuries. It will become a young man’s sport. I don’t think we will ever see someone go to 36-37 like Cameron Smith did with the speed of this game. The game has been getting faster over the last 10 years with less interchanges. I don’t see it slowing down.”

“Apart from this injury it has been a good year, considering last year which was terrible. Up until I did my calf, my body was amazing and headspace was good. We’re not winning many games at the moment but the vibe is a lot better than last year. I’m personally in a good state of mind. This wasn’t a big injury, you just have to be cautious with a calf injury. I want to get it right and have no more injuries for the remainder of the year.”

McHunt

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
Thanks, but no thanks pretty much sums my thoughts on another year for Mr. Glenn.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Well as long as the vibe is good 🙄

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Given the salary cap is tight it wouldn't hurt to have Glenn signed for next year on a minimum deal... we're hoping Piakura, Riki or Bull are ready to take the second row spot, but we also have zero second row depth.

If we could have Glenn sitting there as cheap depth that we know is NRL capable then it's probably better than going out and buying some has been from a different team and hope they can be decent depth (cough Teo 2020 cough)

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I'll go against the grain here and say if he can go another year we'd be mad not to. At minimum wage and no longer guaranteed in the 17, he'd be perfect injury cover.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The game's not faster, there's just more of it, less breaks, so the ball is in play longer. Fitness is paramount, and the lack of it, as well as carried injuries will be quickly found out.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Yeah Glenn on min wage isn’t a bad about as an old head around the club and it’ll put pressure Riki and Piakura have to retain there spots.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
The game's not faster, there's just more of it, less breaks, so the ball is in play longer. Fitness is paramount, and the lack of it, as well as carried injuries will be quickly found out.
If only there was a way to slow it down. Well, a way to reduce the time the other team has the ball. Techniques to get longer breaks. A way to ensure you have the ball for double or even triple the time. A way to take ten or fifteen total minutes off the other team and keep them for yourselves.

If only there was a way to do that.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
I was hoping he was gonna have a crack at the 6 again rule.

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
Breaking my barrs, Hans, you're breaking my barrs!

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If only there was a way to slow it down. Well, a way to reduce the time the other team has the ball. Techniques to get longer breaks. A way to ensure you have the ball for double or even triple the time. A way to take ten or fifteen total minutes off the other team and keep them for yourselves.

If only there was a way to do that.

Minimise time defending, momentum = field position - top notch kicking game, defensive pressure or attack them in defence instead of waiting like Dogs, spread the ball more than just on the 4th ... in other words, everything we DON'T fucking do

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
Glenn on a minimum, i guess.....would he do that though...he is apparenlty our Captain.

Does your Captain play on a minimum contract?

Personally, take his and Teós wages and give them to Capewell.....that will work...

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Glenn on a minimum, i guess.....would he do that though...he is apparenlty our Captain.

Does your Captain play on a minimum contract?

Personally, take his and Teós wages and give them to Capewell.....that will work...
Reynolds will be our captain next year, there's no doubt about that.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
Reynolds will be our captain next year, there's no doubt about that.
yeh...most likely......does Glenn know that?

Or do we tell him the same way we announced him Captain.... :happy:

Active Now

• Kev_Guz
  • Griffo
  • bb_gun
  • Porthoz
  • mystico
  • Thelmus
  • bert_lifts
  • ell.d33
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Santa
  • broncos4life
  • rnabokov
  • Accept
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Cavalo
  • Wolfie
  • Mister Wright
  • Bucking Beads
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.