NEWS Alex Glenn: we need to have each other's backs

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The Courier Mail cornered Broncos' captain Alex Glenn to get his opinion on the transition of his estranged team from dumb to dumber under the meandering tutelage of former schoolteacher, Anthony Seibold:

"The difference between great teams and good teams is that when their backs are against the wall, the great teams come closer together, they look out for each other, they have each other’s backs. We’re the opposite. We tend to go into our shells and don’t stick strong together. Friday was our review day. We got together and had the tough conversations that we needed. The thing we have struggled with the last couple of years is that not everyone is willing to have the tough conversations."

Https  prodstatic9netau fs e0368d2d 06a5 402d 9e14 d0c041aa3072

Pictured: one of the Broncos' backs

“People don’t like controversy. No one likes asking more from their peers because you don’t want to be offensive. If someone was taking a shortcut at training for example, we wouldn’t pull it up. People don’t want to step on each other’s toes. But sometimes in order to build that relationship and build that trust, you have to have those conversations."

“If you don’t, it’s going to build up inside, divide the team and then you’re on the field looking at each other wondering why you’re not a team. When you do have those conversations, there’s a mutual respect that grows in the squad.”

“I am the captain, I have a huge impact on how we perform and how we conduct ourselves on and off the field. It has been so tough to have these setbacks. I have played 40 minutes of footy in four rounds. I want to be out there and lead the boys. I love to lead with my actions. There’s not much I can do when I’m sitting on the sideline. In these tough periods is when I feel it the most. I can talk to the boys, I can try to fix the situation, but my best attribute is being out there with the boys and facing adversity.”

The incumbent captain hopes to be fit in time to face discard Andrew McCullough's Newcastle in Round 6. The much maligned McCullough was the round's standout defender in the Knights 34-18 demolition of the 2019 Grand Finalists Canberra.

McHunt

Last edited:
Being involved with this current generation at an academic level, it’s par for course to not be critical of each other’s work for fear of hurting very fragile ego’s. I believe it comes from a lack of quality parenting which may or may not be due to the current times whereby both parents have to work long hours and the children only see their parents for a small percentage of their upbringing. Parents don’t seem to like disciplining in this short window they spend with their kids, instead being overly positive of their kids development because it makes them feel better and gets that instant positive reaction from their children.

I’m simply hypothesising from my own industry’s examples of this age group in relation to performance vs results.

This year, I’ve had students in tears because they received a mark lesser than what they expected (ie a Credit vs the High Distinction they think they are worth). This is remarkable to me, especially when I explain why they don’t qualify for a Distinction, much less a HD. They still don’t care to understand, fall to pieces and think I’m a bully for telling them simply aren’t that good. It’s entitlement, which their parents have armed them with.

I can see this exact problem repeating itself in the younger crew in sport. Very interesting.
Gen Z is the worst (except for anyone reading this - obviously - I love youse all). Now do an ethnic breakdown of absentee parenting. I'll get some popcorn.

Last edited:
Just occurred to me reading this that we play the Knights next week and you just know Andrew McCullough will probably burrow over and score the match winning try. I can honestly feel it in my bones...

Just occurred to me reading this that we play the Knights next week and you just know Andrew McCullough will probably burrow over and score the match winning try. I can honestly feel it in my bones...
Good for him for landing on his feet. I hope they get a few more years out of him.

Being involved with this current generation at an academic level, it’s par for course to not be critical of each other’s work for fear of hurting very fragile ego’s. I believe it comes from a lack of quality parenting which may or may not be due to the current times whereby both parents have to work long hours and the children only see their parents for a small percentage of their upbringing. Parents don’t seem to like disciplining in this short window they spend with their kids, instead being overly positive of their kids development because it makes them feel better and gets that instant positive reaction from their children.

I’m simply hypothesising from my own industry’s examples of this age group in relation to performance vs results.

This year, I’ve had students in tears because they received a mark lesser than what they expected (ie a Credit vs the High Distinction they think they are worth). This is remarkable to me, especially when I explain why they don’t qualify for a Distinction, much less a HD. They still don’t care to understand, fall to pieces and think I’m a bully for telling them simply aren’t that good. It’s entitlement, which their parents have armed them with.

I can see this exact problem repeating itself in the younger crew in sport. Very interesting.

Fantastic insight, thank you!

Agreed, that's where having an age mix can be so helpful for the squad. It's harder to think you're king shit of payday mountain when Josh McGuire is burying you at training every other day, or Hodgo just absolutely shreds you over each and every fuckup. Even guys who don't add so much on the field any more like Blair, Tagatese or James Graham would still help with the attitude. Allegedly that's why some players didn't much care for Parker, he was old school and would take them down a peg or two when they got ahead of themselves.

Agreed, that's where having an age mix can be so helpful for the squad. It's harder to think you're king shit of payday mountain when Josh McGuire is burying you at training every other day, or Hodgo just absolutely shreds you over each and every fuckup. Even guys who don't add so much on the field any more like Blair, Tagatese or James Graham would still help with the attitude. Allegedly that's why some players didn't much care for Parker, he was old school and would take them down a peg or two when they got ahead of themselves.
It's a convenient theory, but the reality is many of these kids have overcome some pretty poor parenting to make it this far, most notably a couple of our best players.

Parker and Hodges were pretty much bullies. Webcke and Petero were old school sort of blokes who would give the tough love when needed but were approachable at the same time.

Parker and Hodges were pretty much bullies. Webcke and Petero were old school sort of blokes who would give the tough love when needed but were approachable at the same time.
Where do you reckon Lodge and TPJ will sit on that scale?

Where do you reckon Lodge and TPJ will sit on that scale?

Can't say I know a great deal about TPJ in that respect, but Lodgey is a good fella. Thing is though, you wouldnt put him in the same bracket as a Parker for example because he doesn't have the experience and most of our young guys anyway are only a couple of years younger. He is certainly becoming a leader though imo.

Last edited:

A player from the 92-93 team told me this story once- in 2015 he was witnessing Bennett quietly explain to a player why things just weren't done that way and the former player asked Bennett why you never spoke to us like that and Bennett simply said if I spoke to these guys how I spoke to you I wouldn't get them back again.

But that makes me ask the question, aren't the current generation the 'outraged' generation? If that's right why are they not outraged enough to demand performance to demand answers from each other?

The Storm have brutal sessions regarding video and game watching, players demand answers, you said you would chase on the inside and you didn't why? What stopped you? Players have to explain their actions and be accountable to each other. For an outsider it is uncomfortable to see and hear, it looks horrid but I have never heard a player blow up and say you can't do that to me. I have heard of players all standing up and sit down if you did your job on the weeknd? Help you if you sit down and you didn't perform.

Last edited:
It really does make you wonder tho what Bellamy could have done with this squad, his hard edge and demand/expectation for effort could have been what they really need.
Yes, but I wonder much of that is also coming from the playing group.

It seems like Smith, Cronk, etc. set themselves a very high standard as a playing group and if you miss the mark you get told about it. That will now carry through to their next generation of players, but needs constant reinforcing from veterans to the rookies

If Bellamy had have come here, I don't think he would have had a strong leadership group within the playing ranks to start off with

Someone stated earlier that Glenn is well liked in the group, but he also likes being liked. I sense that may be a common problem within the playing group even when you look at guys like Macca. Follow me, but I won't demand you follow me.

Blair was also a quiet guy... so would he have been a guy that called others out during training.

McGuire is a tough hard nosed competitor that would probably call people out, but he also seems like a guy that would get under people's skin rather than demanding respect from the playing group as a leader.

Matty G was probably the guy that would demand respect and may have also called people out at training.

It actually seems like we need a Thorn back at the club... he is a legendary Bronco that would demand respect from the playing group and also call people out.

Lodge is looking the goods in terms of leading these guys out... and I think Croft also has a personality that would call people out, so as long as his play on the field replicates that he could become a leader within the group.

If we can get Patty, Fifi and TPJ to also be loud voices in the playing group we'll be set.

1910 talks about Carrigan not being captain in junior rep sides, but then demanding it after the week of training... he obviously has leadership capabilities but hopefully he's also vocal within the playing group (difficult being so young).

Fifi has had success and accolades at every stage of his career so he is a guy that could drag players up to his level. If he maintains a high level of professionalism off the field, in regards to diet and training intensity

Haas falls into the above, but we know he has a high level of professionalism on and off the field... it becomes about being vocal for him. Petero type comes to mind so it would be interesting if they have ever spoken

TPJ I'm not 100% sold on, but he seems reasonably vocal and looks a competitor on the field. It depends on if he is a leader, which comes from self belief. He wants to be like Lolo, but whether he can is a different thing altogether. He needs to show it on and off the field to demand that from the playing group

As a playing group they're all around the same age and experience so they need to decide as a group if they want to meander along, tally up 200 games and keep cashing the cheques... or if they want to drag everyone up a level and create a dynasty...

They talk about staying together and creating something, but walking that talk and keeping players accountable is another thing... which needs to be a mantra within the playing group

Last edited:

Well that would mean we were in it up to the late stages of the game so that sounds great!

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Dash
  • The Strapper
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Ondi
  • broncsgoat
  • Tristan1990
  • Sproj
  • Dexter
  • mrtij
  • Howie
  • ozzball
  • bert_lifts
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Battler
  • Mr Fourex
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.