NEWS Alex Glenn: we need to have each other's backs

Problem with vocal is you have to be going well. It's hard to say guys this is what is going wrong and how we will fix it when you've missed 7 tackles and they're down 36-0. So you default to I'll just try and fix my horrid night. You also become worried about your spot in the team so I can't help people at the moment because I am terrible.

You need credit in the bank too, Thorn could say we don't do that because he had the credit in the bank- even if he wasn't performing on that day. Not too many Broncos have credit in the bank at the moment.

Last edited:
Problem with vocal is you have to going well. It's hard to say guys this is what is going wrong and how we will fix it when you've missed 7 tackles and they're down 36-0. So you default to I'll just try and fix my horrid night. You also become worried about your spot in the team so I can't help people at the moment because I am terrible.

You need credit in the bank too, Thorn could say we don't do that because he had the credit in the bank- even if he wasn't performing on that day. Not too many Broncos have credit in the bank at the moment.
Was thinking a Thorn type as a voice within the coaching ranks... players thinking if I **** up I have to answer to Thorn.

If a coach is calling people out then players increase their accountability as well.

As you said he has credit in the bank across the NRL, but is also a legend within the Broncos... so his voice is one that would be respected by the players.

The only player I can think of that is currently available and could come reasonably cheap is James Graham... looks on the outer at dragons, but has that respect across the league.

The issue is his current form doesn't warrant the pay cheque he might be after or selection within the 17... so it's depth and leadership only that you're buying

Last edited:

Credit in the bank only comes from knuckling down and tenacity. If the kids don't know what that is, they wont be able to get ontop of a spiral or tough ends.

Last edited:
Yes, but I wonder much of that is also coming from the playing group.

It seems like Smith, Cronk, etc. set themselves a very high standard as a playing group and if you miss the mark you get told about it. That will now carry through to their next generation of players, but needs constant reinforcing from veterans to the rookies

If Bellamy had have come here, I don't think he would've have had a strong leadership group within the playing ranks to start off with
Couldn't agree more with this part.

It really does make you wonder tho what Bellamy could have done with this squad, his hard edge and demand/expectation for effort could have been what they really need.
That is what I fear may lack in Seibs... if he's going to handle these kids with gloves, it needs to be boxing ones!

That is what I fear may lack in Seibs... if he's going to handle these kids with gloves, it needs to be boxing ones!

Specially made 16oz, thrown by Mike.

Last edited:
This is such a great point that we all perhaps didn't really look into.

It's a whole different generation compared to our Broncos players of the 90s and 2000s. In saying that, many of the top teams in the NRL have young players that aren't as fragile and entitled as our players. May be a case of the players we are signing.
Being involved with this current generation at an academic level, it’s par for course to not be critical of each other’s work for fear of hurting very fragile ego’s. I believe it comes from a lack of quality parenting which may or may not be due to the current times whereby both parents have to work long hours and the children only see their parents for a small percentage of their upbringing. Parents don’t seem to like disciplining in this short window they spend with their kids, instead being overly positive of their kids development because it makes them feel better and gets that instant positive reaction from their children.

I’m simply hypothesising from my own industry’s examples of this age group in relation to performance vs results.

This year, I’ve had students in tears because they received a mark lesser than what they expected (ie a Credit vs the High Distinction they think they are worth). This is remarkable to me, especially when I explain why they don’t qualify for a Distinction, much less a HD. They still don’t care to understand, fall to pieces and think I’m a bully for telling them simply aren’t that good. It’s entitlement, which their parents have armed them with.

I can see this exact problem repeating itself in the younger crew in sport. Very interesting.

Just occurred to me reading this that we play the Knights next week and you just know Andrew McCullough will probably burrow over and score the match winning try. I can honestly feel it in my bones...

Wouldn’t surprise me if Adam O’Brien gets Macca to play career best footy under his tutelage in 2020 before they send him back to us in 2021 and he regresses back to the B-Tec version playing back in our ordinary systems.

I was thinking about other clubs and if I had the time, I reckon I could list quite a few fragile cases at a lot of the other teams. Ash Taylor comes to mind, along with Latrell. Maybe it’s also linked to those with great talent. Told they are so good that they forget the work ethic. Dunno.
I think It’s the last part you mentioned, they’re such good talents that growing up it was a piss take out on the field. Now teams have them covered and they don’t know what to do about it yet (hopefully). It’s why I think the second year syndrome is a thing, their habits and tendency’s have been studied only the truly talented that poses the work ethic get through it to be stars. Lots just come crashing back to earth.

"We came in the first day of pre-season and spoke about that game and we have used that as motivation to make sure that never happens again…and that we strive for greatness in 2020." - Alex Glenn on how last year's finals exit to the Eels will inspire the Broncos.

**** giving Thorn the whistle at training, give the man a jersey. He'd still do a job even at 56 or however old he is. What a champion

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Dash
  • The Strapper
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Ondi
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
  • Tristan1990
  • Sproj
  • Dexter
  • mrtij
  • Howie
  • ozzball
  • bert_lifts
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Battler
  • Mr Fourex
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.