RUMOUR Anthony Milford to the Storm

Is Bellamy really a star maker? How many players that leave go on to be just as good as they were in Melbourne?

Or is it those players look better because they are playing in a well drilled side with Cronk, Smith and Slater? I can't think of a single player that didn't go downhill when they left.

Cronk, Smith and Slater, Bellamy gave them the resources they needed to develop and they did the rest by putting in extra work for years.

Apart from that, every other player has looked better in the Storm system but once they left, just haven't been the same.
I don't think the players mind - they get offered huge contracts to leave the storm partially because they look so good next to Smith/Cronk/Slater - it used to be the same here.

Out with the announcement already - this kind of bullshit is what turns fans away from the game.

It isn't theatre, it isn't drama - it's ridiculous.

As long as we didn't get into any kind of bidding war to keep him, I'm happy he's staying.

I knew we would keep him.

He was never leaving.
I doubt it. The Storm forced the Broncos hand to up the ante, but I'm sure the reasons will be touted as family... because you would visit the Storm's installations if you weren't serious about weighing your options.

And speak of the devil:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/a8f82712e8e9fee8d43b5cd98dc4a352

Storm’s swoop for Broncos star Anthony Milford falls short
Gilbert Gardiner, Herald Sun3 minutes ago
MELBOURNE Storm has failed to pull off an eleventh-hour blockbuster bid to poach Broncos playmaker Anthony Milford.
The Storm threw everything at the 22-year-old whiz-kid after a secret meeting with Craig Bellamy last week.
The Herald Sun can confirm the Storm never entered into a negotiation with Milford, whose decision to stay in Brisbane is based on family reasons.
The Storm are now likely to bank the Cooper Cronk money for next season and build a war chest for future raids, happy to proceed with the existing list and build around the talent already at AAMI Park.
More to come

$4m over 4 years is absolutely fine imo, you could argue it's a better deal for us than the $2.7m over 3 years, factoring in whatever the cap will be in 2021. We get an extra year of him @ 1m instead of being forced to fork out the big bucks a year earlier had we done the 3 year deal.

Letting Taylor walk was the correct move. He wasn't getting in front of Hunt or Milford any time soon. They were viewed as our long term halves pairing for at least 5 years. No one saw Hunt leaving this year. Taylor would have walked at the end of the next year (2016) anyways for better opportunities elsewhere.
That may have been true in 2015, but I actually believe that Taylor would've gotten a chance in 2016, especially given Hunt's abysmal season and known inability to control a game or kick well.

It's apparently the worst kept secret on the Coast that Bennett is pulling all the stops to get Taylor back, and started doing so last season already. :notsureifserious:

Maybe BHQ's resident insiders will confirm this (if they can of course)?

yeah we're effectively paying 1.3m for him in year 4 which also extends the period of time before the next circus around him signing again starts.

THe reality is, it is all a balancing act. As good as Milf already is and particularly how good he will hopefully become, we just can't break the bank to keep him. We are the Broncos, we have players staying for less all the time and if Milf walks, so be it. Someone else will come along and we just have to work doubly hard to make it happen.

Letting Taylor walk for nothing was the stupidest thing this club has done since Griffin decided it would be a good idea to play Hoffman as a 6. Letting Milf walk will hurt if he wants to chase money but having Bird and KNik already signed on makes that blow a little softer than it would be if we had no one at all capable of playing at 6.
This is the bull shit arrogance thst has given us our longest ever drought. Players don't just come here and take less because we'rethe fucking broncos. Milford is a huge part of our future success. .if we lose him its a major blow. Where are all these halves knocking on our door ..it's not like it's a secret we need another next year. ..we're struggling to replace one let alone both our halves. Stop fucking around get him signed and get on with the others after that . Reality is you don't win shit without at least one gun half preferably two.

Basically confirms Melbourne were just used to make us improve our offer

So this amounted to another fake news story to look like we're paying every one of our rep players 1mil+?

managed to squeeze another year and basically 100k extra. Im still more than happy to pay that money to milf.

Will be happy when milf signs on the dotted line. I'll happily take him at $4m for 4 yrs to me his progression since he came in 2015 has been quite good.

He went from fullback to a game breaking five eight and is now taking on more responsibility this year in regards to kicking (short and long) and taking on clutch moments.

To me he is showing great signs of becoming a complete half and I think he should be looking to take the 7 jersey next year and play through him as a fulltime first receiver rather than halves either side.

Active Now

• Gympie devil
  • Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
  • Tim K
  • Johnny92
  • MrRobot
  • Strop
  • Sproj
  • Mr Fourex
  • Porthoz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • jd87
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Santa
  • something
  • Ffs...
  • BroncosAlways
  • Browny
  • Financeguy
  • mrslong
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.